Houston Astros 2005 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by quentinc, Mar 14, 2005.

1. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    After the most sucessful season in franchise history, the most apathetic fan base in professional sports prepares to cheer this year's team on.

We're looking at a stellar pitching staff again, with a strong top three:

Oswalt (recently announced #1 starter)
    Clemens (coming off of a Cy Young)
    Pettite (injured most of last year)

Competing for the fourth and fifth slot will be Carlos Hernandez, Tim Redding, Brandon Duckworth, Pete Munro, and possibly a few others.

Prowess on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball will be diminished with the sending of Beltran to the Mets. Both Biggio and Bagwell are one year older and are staring retirement in the face.

Here's hoping to a succesful 2005 campaign!

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Also on the way out is Jeff Kent, I never really liked him, he was pretty inconsistent. However, it will be a tough hole to fill. It also might mean that Biggio is back at second. Here's a potential opening day lineup:

Biggio-2B?
    Everett-SS
    Bagwell-1B
    Berkman-LF
    Ensberg-3B
    Lane-RF
    ?????-CF
    Ausmus-C
    Oswalt-P

We're going to have to find someone to play CF. In my opinion it was a mistake to move Biggio out to center. Biggio never looked comfortable in the outfield (He also had the toughest centerfield to patrol in the majors). Things worked out much better with Beltran filling the role.

If Biggio stays in the outfield, it would be a choice between Jose Vizcaino, who's really a shortstop, but a servicable second baseman, or Chris Burke, whom I don't know much about.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Since I'm really bored and Chelsea v West Brom looks about as exciting as a colonscopy, I'm going to do the full position-by-position roster breakdown:

Pitching:

The starting rotation (assuming no injuries) looks to be in good hands. Here are the seven pitchers that will fight for the five spots in the rotation:

Roy Oswalt 27 years old
    2004 Stats: 20-10, 3.49 ERA, 206 K's

The National League's only 20 game winner last year, he has improved into one of the best pitchers in the game. He effectively uses four pitches, and can put his fastball into the high 90's. Has already been declared the number one starter and should be seeing his first All-Star appearance this year.

Roger Clemens 42 years old
    2004 Stats: 18-4, 2.98 ERA, 218 K's

It was doubtful that Clemens would return for another year, but he did. After a brilliant rennaisance last season that saw him win a seventh Cy Young Award. However, he will only be able to hold on so long, and this is most likely his last season. He can pitch consistently in the high 90's and puts hitters away with a deadly splitter.

Andy Pettite 34 years old
    2004 Stats: 6-4, 3.90 ERA, 79 K's

Was injured most of last year and during the playoffs. His style contrasts to the other two pitchers. He is noted also for his superb ability to pick off runners. If healthy, I would place him in between Oswalt and Clemens. I would do this for the reason that, in a three game series, the ability to put a left-handed softer-throwing pitcher in between two flamethrowers could throw off the opposing team.

Brandon Duckworth 29 years old
    2004 Stats: 1-2, 6.86 ERA, 23 K's

He was acquired at the beginning of last year from the Phillies in the Billy Wagner deal. He spent the majority of 2004 in AAA, but was called up when players became injured.

Carlos Hernandez 24 years old
    2004 Stats: 1-3, 6.43 ERA, 26 K's

A promising left-handed pitcher, he was called up from AA in 2002. In the past two seasons, injuries have given him few chances to show his worth. Hopefully, he can return to form and become a solid contribution to the squad.

Tim Redding 27 years old
    2004 Stats: 5-7, 5.72 ERA, 56 K's

Part of the "big three" pitchers that came up a few years ago, he has been the weakest of the three. He works better as a long reliever, but could find himself thrown into the fray as a starter.

Pete Munro 29 years old
    2004 Stats: 4-7, 5.15 ERA, 63 K's

Found himself thrown into the playoffs last year as a third starter, and performed very well. Most likely will be the fourth starter, as he proved last year that he is capable of being a regular contributor to the rotation.

Brandon Backe 27 years old
    2004 Stats: 5-3, 4.30 ERA, 53 K's

A local kid, he filled in well during last year's injury crisis. Should provide solid competition to the other fringe starters.

Coming up later today: Bullpen and Offensive Breakdown.

4. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Over the last 8 years, the guy is averaging .296, 28 HR, 111 RBI, and 147 games played per season.
    What's your definition of "consistent?"

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    When he played for us, he would go in severe cold streaks that seemed to last interminably. It never seemed like he would show up night after night.

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    waived

7. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    When did this happen?

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
  9. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Two days to go, and our lineup looks anemic. Berkman was placed on the 15-day DL, so our opening day lineup will most likely look like this:

Biggio-LF
    Everett-SS
    Ensberg-3B
    Bagwell-1B
    Lane-RF
    Taveras-CF
    Ausmus-C
    Burke-2B
    Oswalt-P

I have never seen Burke or Taveras play, but supposedly Taveras is supposed to be an up-and-coming CF, which is needed at Minute Maid. Hopefully, he's better than Biggio, and is able to partially fill the shoes of Beltran. We really only have one true power hitter in Bagwell, which is not good.

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Geese, we got slapped around tonight. 7-3, that sucked.

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    My local FSN affiliate is really starting to piss me off. Last night, I only caught the very end of the game, because it was pre-empted by Arena Football:rolleyes: And tonight, even though the Rangers game was available on another channel, they showed it on FSN as well, over the Astros.

Anyways, we're 3-1 as we apparently won in the 9th inning tonight. I've yet to catch a full game this year, maybe tomorrow.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    4-1 baby. Splitting v. the Cards was ok, but the sweep of the Reds was nice (especially since they took a bite out of us at the beginning of last year.)

I have to say the young kids are looking adequate. I really like Taveras and Burke is good to give Biggio the occassional day off. I get the feeling that Lane is going to have a good year (it is like the Berkman injury helped him because now he just knows he will have time to start and prove himself).

They aren't scoring a ton of runs, but they don't have to with the pitching staff.

13. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I've yet to watch a game in full, but I'm pleased with the start. Mets tonight. We need to make sure Beltran shoots blanks, he doesn't deserve to get a hit off of us...

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    After getting swept by the ********* Mets, we get a convincing win against the Reds to bring us to 5-4. If we could only play the Reds all season...

Record v Cincy: 4-0
    Record v Others: 1-4

15. ddavenport

ddavenport New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    ^What he said.

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    We just don't have it this season. I'm sorry, but when the Pirates are having their way with you, you've got problems.

17. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Yep pretty much over this season. Unless Berkman comes back and provides a much much needed offensive spark. I can't see this team spending much time over .500. The SP is probably one of the best in the majors. The closer is very very good. The rest of the bullpen is so-so to horrific. There are positives (lane and tavarez should round out to be solid professionals), but there are also negatives (Bagwell's injury, Everett/Ausmus being Everett/Ausmus, Ensberg remaining gone). In the end their lineup is ass right now, Berkman may be what the doctor ordered, but it might not be enough and it will probably be too late for the division as the Cards are on a tear.

18. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I think we should just treat this season as a rebuilding year, and make sure guys like Tavarez get as much experience as possible. Bagwell and Biggio will be on their way out in a year or two, and we should focus on finding replacements for them (It looks like Burke is set to replace Biggio).

19. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heard bagwell might hang it up. anyone have an opinion on his status as a hall-of-famer? i personally think that he doesn't quite have the credentials, but he was a great ball-player none-the-less. one thing's for sure though; he could be the hardest swinger of all-time. he about pulls that right shoulder of the socket on every swing. also notable is that, after being drafted by the red sox, he spent his entire career in houston. pretty rare in today's game.

20. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't know if he would be first-ballot, but him and Biggio, IMO, should make it. Where did he say he was thinking about retiring?

21. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Biggio is a first ballot no brainer IMHO. Especially since he looks like he has a couple of solid years left in the tank. Bagwell is one of those borderline cases. If he doesn't get hurt, first ballot is likely. Based on his totals/performance year to date.....close call.

22. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Man, we're turning it on. I've really been impressed with the play of Willy Taveras, he's a hell of player. For the first time in a long time, we have a true speed threat. The type of guy that can consistently bunt for base hits, and distract opposing pitchers when he is on base.

23. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Today was great. Coming from 5-1 down to sweep the Dodgers. We're now above .500 heading into the break. You know, I didn't think this team had the skills to make a 2nd half run (similar to last year's team), but with the way we're currently playing, it's a strong possibility.

24. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors of a Kevin Millar-for-Chad Qualls deal.

What say you, Houston?

25. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I can see why that would make sense. With Bagwell showing no signs of coming back, Berkman has been forced to play first base. If Millar came back, our lineup would look like this.

Taveras-CF
    Biggio-2B
    Millar-1B (I'm guessing as to his position in the batting order)
    Berkman-LF
    Ensberg-3B
    Everett-SS
    Lane-RF
    Ausmus-C

This would be great, because currently, we're trying to fill in the LF spot. If Berkman moved back out there, that problem would be gone.

However, if we give up Qualls, we would take one more person out of an already thin bullpen.

Still, I'm for it.