House Park!

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by rickbendes, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the pre-season match (March 5) is against Houston, perhaps they are expecting a bigger attendance which would suit Nelson better than House.

I hope they can get a pre-season match against FC Dallas as well. ;)

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they're definitely using Nelson because House won't be ready yet. Phil said our first couple regular season games will also be at Nelson. Won't get to House until May.

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the lockers won't be done by March..but May? And not April? Well that really sucks.

4. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Phil announce on the radio show that the first match was March 5th? Any other word on the schedule? I'd also like to see Dallas on the schedule, easy win! ;)

5. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much on the season schedule other that the season starts April 10th.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they don't overload the front of the schedule with home games again!

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will. And will have to until they build a stadium of their own. Because they have to be done with their home schedule before HS football starts. As a guess, the latest we'd see any home game is August 22.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised. Yeah, the walls are mostly up now. It still needs a roof. And typically the exterior stuff goes fast, and it's the interior (fixtures, floor, wiring, etc.) that takes the most time. Three months from now wouldn't actually surprise me.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting tidbit from the Aztex blog:

Of course, in this day and age, blogging something *never* keeps it quiet for long!:)

10. rickbendes

rickbendes New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just put the roof on so I wouldn't be shocked if it was ready for the first home game, but sure would be suprised if it was.

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 weeks to get the interior done. Who cares about painting the outside?:)

I'll try and be hopeful, but it usually takes longer to get the insides of anything done than it does to get the outsides done. But I can see where field houses might be different. I mean, we're not talking about Jerryworld here. No jacuzzi or fully stocked kitchen or anything like that. So I suppose it's possible.

12. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Driving past House Park this morning, I saw a lot of Soccer activity. Most of the color seemed red & white, but I didn't see any Aztex jersey specifically. Somebody was using the field this morning. It may have been for training. Does anybody know anything? I know they are supposed to train @ St Stephan's, but maybe they were getting to know their knew home and practice on artificial turf.

13. mrjabba

mrjabba New Member

May 17, 2008
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove by there this morning as well, around 11.
    What I saw were was families, kids (teens), maybe jr high or high school. There was a bus or 2.

I didn't see the red & white u referred to but I wasn't really looking. Was just in the hood. I am looking forward to them putting some kinda big Aztex banner like they had at Nelson.

BTW, I grabbed some food from the Screaming Goat for the first time. That places is a couple of blocks away, right next to another park (Duncan Park) and runs along Shoal Creek. Would be an easy walk from there (assuming we weren't tailgating). They have beer, though no taps that I saw. More of a brunch/cafe kind of place. But they have a room in the back we could congregate at with 1 decent TV. Just another local option. They close early though (8ish) so wouldn't work for post game. For those not wanting to pay to park, there's a good deal of street parking along 10th street. I like this option b/c you wouldn't have to cross Lamar.

http://www.thescreaminggoat.com
    http://bit.ly/ckU3Vi

14. rickbendes

rickbendes New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't posted these here every week, but here's the latest House Park locker room "construction cam" pic:
    [​IMG]

You can see them all, including future ones every Wednesday (give or take), on my blog, or in the Flickr set.

16. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    That ACC garage only has 700 spaces. Is there a commercial parking lot within 2-3 blocks? I'm worried that there'll be nowhere to park.

17. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The neighborhood between the stadium and downtown is commercial (mostly lawyers offices and doctors offices). There is lots of street parking within a few blocks of the stadium outside of business hours.

18. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I have no parking worries. Everywhere around there is a nice pleasant walk. Anyone that works downtown can probably just walk down there. I've walked down there. I think I timed it at not even 10 minutes (maybe it was under 15 now that I think about it) to walk from HP to the Capitol grounds. So add a few minutes for just about anywhere else downtown. I wanna tailgait at Peace, so that's where I'll be parking.

19. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atta bhoy Cp, it's Pease acctually but oh well :p:D

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alejo. Correcting someone's spelling.

...and then misspelling 'actually'!

L.O.L.

21. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess spelling isn't a very strong subject matter at his school in Corpus Christi. But then again, it's an Aggie-run institution. :p

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, what cha gonna do.

Truthfully, my Hist prof. this semester doesn't take off points for misspelling, so James I must say you did a wonderful job of setting up hammer and nail in an SM fuled relationship. :D;)

23. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically I'd like to teach you to use the inherent spell check feature in Firefox.

Or beat you about the head and neck with copies of Strunk and White's Elements of Style and Webster's Third New International Dictionary. Either one would make me a happy man...

Seriously man. Learn to spell. You have no idea how much that will hinder you in later life. The same is true for your grammar most of the time...

24. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually did some research on this, and what I found was the following:

1. The City of Austin requires a registration and payment of $60 for each group of under 100 people for each use of the picnic area in the south end of the park. Each time.
    2. City Parks & Recreation strictly prohibits the consumption of alcohol on Parks property, and City property (that means the street).
    I'm also guessing that the use of the ACC parking garage is out as well. The last I heard was ACC wanted to charge the Aztex to use the garage, and then charge each driver the weekday rate. BS (and I don't mean BigSoccer) in my opinion.

Just an update for House. Remember, this doesn't affect us this Sunday as the match is at Nelson, and we're meeting for pre-match beers at The Nomad.