Hotel Recommendations for Columbus

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by McKinney_Burn, Mar 8, 2005.

1. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    You must have spoken with Don. He seemed like a cool guy. I might be buying him a beer after the US whips up on Mexico for a second time this year!

2. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have never heard of a check in time so early at noon as at the German Village Inn, absolutely fantastic. Could we presuade Don to host a pregame party? Por favor!

3. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    I believe there is a bar in the basement, at least that's what Don told me. If Keegan's is within walking distance, that might be a good place to be pre-game. Anybody know when the tickets are going on sale, and what the cost may be?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just added my name to the German Village Inn list. the guy indeed mentioned the soccer game as soon as i asked about availability at the hotel. i'm wondering if the guy is trying to "warn" potential customers. hmmmmmmmmmm

5. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be surprised. My vacation request went through today so as long as I get tickets I'm guaranteed to go.

6. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    although i am one for original thought, i will go where the massses take us to be pregaming with the proper folk with the proper mindset

7. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    There is a bar in the basement. There is a bar next door. There's a bar on the corner. There's a bar around the corner. There are a dozen bars just a few blocks away. And yes, Keegan's is within walking distance.

Since so many people will be staying at the GVI I will post a guide to local bars, clubs and restaurants. I used to live in German Village, so I'll have some recommendations. But please be patient, its only March. But I can't wait either, it's gonna be gooood.

8. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the anticipation will probably die down a little after the next 2 qualifiers are finished.

9. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just reserved a double at GVI for $65 (2 people). I wonder if the rates went up because they're getting all this interest. The guy didn't mention soccer, but wasn't surprised I was reserving that early.

Sounds like an organized room pre-party/trip to the local bars prior to the game is a must! We might wanna look at some carpooling as well.

Mmmmm, beer and soccer...

10. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    agree, we'll start a carpooling thread as time approaches.

11. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should pick a time and meet in the hotel bar and then venture out from there, picking up more supporters at each bar and then congo line it to the game. The congo line may be on foot(too far), by cab or by car. I can hear us singing now

12. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do we have the hotel sold out with fans yet?

And I think the carpooling would be a great idea. I can't believe this game is still 5 months away.

13. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

Dec 31, 1999
    As of 10 mins ago, GVI guesses that there are approx. 10-12 rooms left for that weekend.

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Add another, possibly 4, that now have a room at GVi.

15. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    how long would it take to drive from C-Bus to Cedar Point? I'm considering changing my reservation at the hotel an extra day to make a trip to the coaster capital of the world.

16. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! We are making the trek out there Sunday. I looked it up and I think it's a 2 hour drive. We are just going up to Cleveland Sunday and heading out to Cedar Point Monday, and then flying back out of Cleveland. I have wanted to go to Cedar Point forever.

17. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I'd say it's about 2 1/2 hours. It's 120 miles, but most of it is 2 lane highway. Take St. Rte. 23 north to Marion and St. Rte 4 to Sandusky.

18. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably be picking up a 1.75L of Tangueray so there'll be free Gin & Tonic's on saturday morning for any bigsoccer posters at the GVI.

19. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! This is going to be one drunken weekend.

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holiday Inn Express is booked for that weekend as of last night.

21. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Alright, I couldn't hold out. I changed my reservations from the Red Roof Inn to the German Village Inn. Seeing how this place is going to be completely overrun with USA fans how could I not? This is going to freaking RULE! :)

22. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    "The Adams Mark in Columbus is no more. It has come under different ownership and is called the Columbus Renaissance"

This is were I stayed for the Grenada game. I was satisfied with the hotel.

First the Grenadian team was staying there, it was funny when their fans were telling us they were gonna by 3 goals.

Second the entertainment was second to none. After coming back from the bar's (where we saw bruce and mooch wasted) the night before the game, there was a couple having sex in the outdoors jacuzzi (right under about 100 rooms) at 3 am.

And the hotel staff was extremely helpful with us, no one questioned us when we carried a full size cooler of beer into the hotel. They even gave us a gift basket (which included an invitation to a wedding) at around 4am when we asked if there was a vending machine around.

Overall it was a great time!

23. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atta Boy, we're going to dominate that bitch.

24. Shrek-TKE

Shrek-TKE New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Dover, NH
    Travelocity has flight and hotel for 2 nights from $226 up to 600. Not too bad from NH. Hotel choices are something like

Econo lodge north @ 6125 Zumstein Dr.

Fairfield inn Columbus west @ 1309 St. James Lutheran Ln.

Ramada Limited North @ 6121 Zumstein Dr.

Super 8 Columbus North @ 1078 E. Dublin Granville Rd.

the Cross Country Inn @ the airport.

Anyone think these are horrible, how about cab rides to the Inn and then the stadium, pricey? Really wanna go to this game, trying to figure out pricing

25. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from manchester,NH roundtrip flight 160's. hotel 65 + tax for saturday night at german village inn