Hot Seat 09-10

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Volssoccer, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Northwinds

Northwinds Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Eau Claire,Wisconsin
    Exactly. So he should get this year with his kids to make improvement. What else could you ask for?

2. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after last year, the only thing he CAN do is improve, unless they actually go completely winless. Would like to see them post the schedule soon, only 2 1/2 months until season starts.

3. Northwinds

Northwinds Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Eau Claire,Wisconsin
    Which I'm sure is what they expect of themselves. It's just unreasonable to state its "put up or shut up" time (not you, but you chimed in) for a program and coach...what does that even mean? Show improvement? Improvement by leaps and bounds? Win the ACC? Make the tournament?

4. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The program has gone a long way from it's heydays with the Leones and even Bramble. The program that never missed an NCAA tournament has gone wanting for two consecutive years and from a single win in the ACC 2008 to none last year. Players like the Augustiniaks, Arrington, Ledford and Phillips just aren't lining up to come play at Riggs field.

More than just a matter of the record, team discord was AWFUL last year with a serious rift right down the middle between "Todd's girls" and "Hershey's girls". Other stories coming out of the campus indicated a lack of control over things and an inability to gain cameraderie with the group. So now you have the losses from graduation, transfer and whatever else happened. What's left are 90% "Hershey's girls" and it's time to stop using the Bramble excuse, train and lead the team.

I truly hope they can turn it around for the sake of the program. The men's team suffered from stagnation and erraticness and show signs of pulling out of that. The women need to show the same determination and grit. I said 3 years ago that the ACC was no place for OJT and have only been proven correct so far.

I hope the learning curve is over now.

5. mudder

mudder New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Okay....I don't enter in much or very often, although I do keep track (like so many of us!). But, what is happening at Nebraska? Any reason for the NCAA posting of a new GK Coach? Where's Crittenden going? Anybody know anything?

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    His Nebraska bio says he will be back in 2010

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=822976

But maybe things have changed.

7. mudder

mudder New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    I saw that, too, but thought it was interesting that the NCAA posting asked for GK Specific training. I guess we'll see! Interesting....

8. bewildered

bewildered Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nebraska State Soccer Office had Director of Coaching position open up. Maybe Wally took that position and will continue on as Asst at UNL.

9. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know anything about Nebraska. Maybe they updated the website bio before a change was made and are waiting on official releases before updating the bios again

10. Socal Parent

Socal Parent Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So if my dd has been contacted by Clemson should we run away as fast as we can? We're trying to sift through the chatter and make heads or tails of all of this.

11. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying that in the least.

The knock on HS coming in was lack of significant game-coaching experience at UVA. No one questioned his recruiting and ability to build a team. But managing a group of young women in the cauldron of ACC women's soccer is no place for OJT and he's had two years to earn his Tiger stripes. The group of recent recruits is impressive, we know a few from camps, and if they come together as a unit, could make some noise in the ACC. There's nowhere to go but up but it's not going to be easy.

What's confused me recently is the missing KW and EG from the coaches list on the site. I thought KW was essential to the camp process ang EG really seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. Haven't heard any more lately to explain that.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Not the thread to explore this but I'm sure you've heard not to choose a school because of the coach. I don't think it's appropriate to ask a coach "how long is your contract exactly". Most will give you the party line "I have no plans to go elsewhere, yada yada...." I think most observers would say HS will have very few excuses after this year if things don't get measurably better. I know of a 2009 Senior who has been through this transition clearly and she basically has said it's been a nightmare...
    Good luck

13. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I'd be wary of anything posted on an anonymous message board. While most on here will claim good intentions and accurate sources, take everything you read with a grain of salt. A big big grain of salt.

I enjoy hearing the observations and opinions on here and there is a certain level of veracity to the comments and posters here, but choosing or not choosing a program based on Big Soccer is a mistake.

For one thing, 20 year old girls do not have the best perception of how a program is run or managed. Club coaches and parents don't either. I've seen this forum used to publicly flog programs for no other reason than to inflict harm on the coach.

From my perspective, people on here, in general, have NO IDEA what they are talking about. My circle of friends include a bunch of california coaches and when I sheepishly admit I've been on here and relay to them what is posted/said/pontificated on here they laugh at how off-base we all are. The real stories and facts I know, I would never post on here because it would get some people in real trouble and/or make some players, parents and coaches look awful. I am assuming other posters who know actual info use that same discretion as well. Which is why this board is a lot of sound and fury.....

(And personally, I need to heed my own advice and shut up more. I've tried to curtail the rumor mill and squash my opinion because I truly don't know the whole story a lot of times, but sometimes my emotions get the best of me and I'm sorry.) (But I still hate U$C lol)

Now, I think there are some great posters on here with great insight and I enjoy reading their thoughts and think they are probably on target with a lot of what they say, but do your own research and diligence with a program or coach. And PM anyone on here and ask for specifics if you need it. But without names and actual facts, treat this board as entertainment and not gospel.

14. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    A few questions for the Soccer insighters on this forum. These ?'s came up at PDA by a few coaches, and parents.
    1. What is going on at Nebraska....Feeling the heat for 2010?
    2. What happened to Josh at Utah State?
    3. Heard last week that Hawaii is feeling the heat any truth to that?
    4. Who will CP hire at Texas?
    5. HS at Clemson was left with a bare bones roster when TB left. Now the class he has coming in is pretty darn good. They maybe young but I believe he will be given two to three more years to build on what HE is bringing in?
    5. SMU will they do anything over BE and his lying to players,parents, adn club coaches about changing of $ offers, and TOTAL disrespect to the SMU W. Soccer program? Not really a power house/conf. contender anymore since he took over?
    6. With Boise leaving the WAC what will the WAC look to do/bring in, and who else might leave thE WAC?

15. nastyasiwant2b

nastyasiwant2b New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Volsoccer...giving the south a bad name with inability to count 1,2,3,4,5,5,6?

6(7). Real question is if MWC loses any combination of Utah, TCU or BYU will the MWC and WAC combine...no great options for WAC to replace Boise St, some talk about Montana becoming D1A football in order to join WAC.
    5(6). BE is safe for now...SMU athletic department cares about getting FB team competitive. Women's soccer is a side note for current admin.
    5(5). You can talk about a lot of colleges bringing in some good talent or good classes but it takes A TON of talent to compete in ACC. There are huge hurdles away from competing with UNC, FSU, UVA, BC, WFU, Duke...etc. HS should be safe for a bit longer, he is liked by admin and shows that the program is headed in the right direction. WATCH FOR UVA TO WIN ACC 2010.
    4. CP is slow and hires never seem obvious. That said if he can hire the right person for chemistry for the staff and team things could look up...they get some great talent just not great results. I'm thinking no one from the state of Texas...maybe a Golden Knight Associate Head Coach?
    3. Pinsoom been at Hawaii for ages...it'd take at least another season of not making WAC tournament before a real conversation about trouble is in play.
    2. Josh is headed to Florida State.
    1. Nebraska will be the next BCS job to open in the future...if things are the same as the past few. Wally good luck going forward man.

16. secsoccer

secsoccer Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    who left Florida State for Josh to go there? Eric or Mike?

17. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Sorry about that. Its been corrected above. Thanks for the correction. I have five thumbs.

18. wingerdd

wingerdd Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Unless the NCAA violations stick, he'll stay. AD loves him, don't ask me why. Some smart parents are doing more due diligence but he's still getting good players to commit. I feel badly for these girls. They have absolutely NO CLUE how bad it is there, how poorly he treats them, his inability to coach women and how the losing is killing the players. Pathetic. Probably my favorite part though is that he actually tells people he was brought in to turn the program around. Guess he's done that... :rolleyes:

19. Total90

Total90 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Kat Mertz resigns from UNLV to assist at UT-Austin!

20. secsoccer

secsoccer Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what is up with the Tennessee Tech job? Any thoughts on who replaces Kat this late at UNLV? Georgia College?

21. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    What Jobs are open?
    TENN Tech
    UNCA
    UNLV
    Is that a good move on Kats part?

22. socrnut

socrnut Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Michelle Demko to UNC-A.

23. calkeeper21

calkeeper21 New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    First Wally, now Demko. What's going on with NE soccer, anyone know?

24. DonCChatt

DonCChatt New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Interviews start Monday for the Tenn Tech job.

25. secsoccer

secsoccer Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so.....who is in the mix?