Hot Seat 09-10

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Volssoccer, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Total90

Total90 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Manhattan job is posted on NCAA job page.

2. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    NCAA says it is a part-time Head Coach. I've never heard of a part-time D1 Head Soccer Coach. There has to be more to it. Says they want Head Coaching experience.

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Sac State back in the late 90's, and as I understand, that's how it was for the wsoc HC, but then in '99 or thereabouts, they changed it to FT. Not sure if anybody does it that way anymore.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Where's the link to the position? Sometimes, a coaching position is combined with another related position ( like summer camp director) for state auditing reasons. Oregon State, for instance, published the head coach position that way a couple of years ago. Was the HC position part of a package?

5. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Villanova asst job is also open. PG is leaving

6. socrnut

socrnut Member

Nov 3, 2008
  7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    This kid is delusional. You sue the school and the coach, claim they induced you to break NCAA rules, you come off the bench for a few minutes in about half the games (not in the conference tournament) and you think you're going to stay on the team? And you WANT to????

And what's with dad being "out of the loop?" Wouldn't mom and dad read the NLI stuff before the school sends out a $25k bill??

8. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    I normally put a lot into your responses, but this one is pretty rash. There was no NLI because she graduated in Dec and went to school in Jan. (NLIs aren't signed until Feb.) Playing time has nothing to do with this. Or being cut from the team. This have been consistent rumors with this particular coach offering more scholarship money than he has, and then pulling it at the last minute when the kids have no options.

She isn't blindly claiming he is breaking rules. She has emails with him asking her to do things that are illegal. And he has been reported numerous (report is over 70 times) for breaking rules.

Her parents really should have done their due diligence. There are ways to ensure the scholarship and anyone who trusts that guy, probably deservers what they get. Still many people in the college game count the days until he goes back to the men's side.

9. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
  10. objective1

objective1 New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    How about we take this thread in a slightly different direction: not "Coaches on the Hot Seat," but rather "Old and In the Way: Coaches Who Just Won't Go." I don't mean to say that age itself is a disqualifier (relax, Anson), but incompetence is. Nominees for this list?

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think the SMU suit might warrant its own thread, but I wonder if the kid/parents think she can have the support of teammates indicates that players know this isn't the first time a player has been promised one thing and received something very different? And I'd think (as a total outsider) that the AD's actions do not help the school's case.

12. soccer1111

soccer1111 New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    There is an easy solution to this SMU situation: Fire Erwin like he deserves. He is a poor excuse for a coach, let's call a spade a spade here... he only got the job because of schellas and SMU has had problems since day 1. He treats his team like a football team in the way he speaks to them, and he has zero respect for his assistants... actually how many assistants has he been through in his short time at SMU? I'm am not surprised that this is happening at SMU with Erwin, he's a snake and although I don't know for sure if he broke any rules, although I'm almost positive that he did.

13. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Just to clarify, I'm not defending SMOOO, and have no inside info. If the guy has the reputation of pulling offers, why are people listening to him?

Even in December and January, I've never heard of a kid enrolling in school without some sort of written understanding of financial aid. Actually that info isn't on the NLI form itself anyway. Usually when you enroll in a school you sign off on what your costs are and what financial aid you're getting. This sounds like people who shouldn't be allowed to hold sharp objects all around to me.

Also, I'm not Anson, but why would you let a kid stay on the team who's suing the school and program? It's not like this kid is an All-American, either. I'm not even asking why she's coming at semester like that as a freshman (she was a freshman, right?).

14. wingerdd

wingerdd Member

Jan 31, 2007
    It's not a rumor. At least 5 players were not given the money promised by Erwin and this is no secret. The NC transfer quit the team because Erwin promised 100% and she got something less than 20% . A semester at SMU is about 25K now so that's a big chunk of difference. The bigger problem for Erwin is that one of the larger Dallas clubs wrote the AD that they won't recommend SMU to their players.

Erwin jokes about the NCAA violations that have been reported like he's bulletproof. You would think that SMU can't live with another Lack of Institutional Control sanction.

The timing on this is really bad for them which is maybe why they just made Leader their Associate Head Coach: Plan ahead. He has a lot of experience plus he has been a Women's coach and is liked and respected by the team.

15. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Assuming this is true (no disrespect intended), it is every recruit's nightmare. As to the specific case, here's a kid with SMU in her blood and her parents AND a family friend in the room and the whole thing goes up in smoke anyhow. Glad to see the club stepped in to protect their players; word of mouth will hopefully protect the rest. This family's action (whether successful or not) will remind coaches and ADs that recruits do rely on their truthfulness and they really should be able to do that. With all the confusion over what is and isn't covered there can be misunderstandings about financial details - but this appears to have been an outright intent to mislead from someone so arrogant he didn't think they'd do anything. I hope it works out with the associate coach as the player may find it difficult to play elsewhere.

16. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Who is this head coach? What has he ever done to think he can do these things? Has he ever won anything? COY or championships? Sounds like a con artist.

17. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    Erwin has cut his own throat in the state of Texas with Club coaches, OPD, and A lot of SMU alumni I hear? Any Alumni out there care to add to this story? Now with that being said SMU has been "hanging on" in CUSA (Almost not making the Tournament that they hosted last season) since his arrival. GVL, and JC, got things done at SMU. How come B.E. cant? Derek Leader is not the answer either, he is part of the problem as well. Maybe Erwin will go after the men's Job if it opens up in the near future? Is it true that the club coaches really got together and complained about him? If So what are they saying, and any word from the admin. I also think that if he has broken a number of rules, other college coaches would have turned him in, has that happened? Alumni or parents any Insight to any of these things being true or just word of mouth?

18. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone tell where exactly did the $17,000 that the AD gave come from? Did they end up cutting someone else's money? From what I gather, NCAA rules that teams have a set scholarship amount they can give out and divide amongst their players accordingly. So where did the $17,000 come from? Don't believe the athletics department could just divvy up money to give to a player. I wouldn't believe it to be academic money since the AD gave it to her.

19. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Why would college coaches turn in Erwin when he can't keep the talent in Dallas. If they hired someone new who could do that, other coaches who do it right might be out of a job. I think the funny part is people know he has been cheating, yet how bad would they be if he didn't.

20. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I seriously doubt that SMU is at the NCAA maximum for scholarship funding, I also think a healthy dose of skepticism is in order here. You've got an incredibly unpopular coach (at least in his backyard w/ the club coaches) with a rep for overpromising, and a kid who's story doesn't totally make sense either (why would the AD "give" her $17k? if the SMOOO coach does this all the time, does the AD come through all the time to "make it right?" or did the AD simply make sure the student was getting the correct academic award? There's no way to tell from what's been posted here).

Also, can we go back to talking about the coaching carousel? I mean, SMOO isn't exactly the soccer program that makes the world go 'round . . .

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    This is starting to look like the st Edwards ramble from a couple of years ago.

Though if you limit the discussion to teams that make the soccer world go round, how many coaches could be on the hot seat?

22. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe as a second tier program, as of late, but isn't it "put-up-or-shut-up" time for HS at Clemson?

23. Northwinds

Northwinds Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Eau Claire,Wisconsin
    No. just starting to get his own kids in.

24. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With about 3 exceptions, I think they're all "his kids" now.

25. socrnut

socrnut Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I just looked at Clemson's roster and there are a lot of young players there. Add in the 9 or 10 that he signed in February and it's a super young team. He may now have a team of kids that HE recruited, but as young and as inexperienced as they are they'll need a little time to come together. But, he may not get that much time.