Hot Seat 08-09

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by fishon, Jul 26, 2008.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea if it is true but a brief glance at his bio on Sewanee's site, indicates that he has coached women before and that he is an LA guy (or at least has coached in the state a lot). I have zero knowledge of Nicholls State and the only thing I know about Poggi I gleaned from the aforementioned link.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
  4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    U Mass
    What happened there? Why SO late to decide this change? Umass has a lot of great Alumni that could re establish the program as coaches, right? Who is in the running for that position? But what happened?

6. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    My guess is that it's about timing. Perhaps Rudy had someone in mind to take it over and knew that if he left it this late there really wouldn't much option but to give it to that person. As I said it's just a guess but that's what I would lean toward as way of explanation.

7. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Rumor? Is SMU and OLE MISS have one year to get it done or they are gone. Any ole miss or SMU alumni or insiders can give this any clarification?
    What about Hawaii? Will he leave soon?

8. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I would say true for SMU. No sucess and mass flight of players. 28 on roster last year, 12 this year + incoming freshman (one of which already left) and only 4 seniors left. Not sure about Ole Miss. He's been there a while and has had sucess in the past but perhaps it's time for a change.

9. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Here in tx, they say smu is safe as AD hired the coach not once, but twice?

10. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    If the AD is true to his word about trying to build a top 20 athletic program, then this is the soccer coache's last chance. Program went form NCAA regular to barely making its own conference tournament. (and CUSA isn't exactly a tough conference)

11. wingerdd

wingerdd Member

Jan 31, 2007
    This is the SMU breakdown:

11 quit/transferred, including 8 freshmen
    4 lost to graduation
    3 cut
    11 remaining on roster

12-14 coming in, including one upperclass transfer. It will be another young team with only 2 seniors and 4 juniors.

AD loves him (and hired him twice) but I can't imagine things wouldn't change if they have another substandard year. As a point of comparison, Cossaboon won 3 more games in his last year there than they have won total in the two years since, a stat that cannot have escaped the AD.

12. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    Any word on UMass?

Pays around 70k. Nice camp package.

A-10 is a good conference and UMass used to a top 20 program.

With the Stars of Mass and Scorpions youth teams someone can build that program back up in a few years.

13. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    SMU was really only known for winning soccer programs (men & women) and a football program that received the death penalty from the NCAA. Now those soccer programs do not win? Do they win in anything (tennis)?

14. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    You would think. The only player from Mass we know of committed to UMass for 2010 is from Western Mass - good little player who doesn't play for Stars or Scorpions. I don't know what sort of players they have been recruiting but my 2010 never received so much as a camp brochure from them and we live an hour away. They might need to up their recruiting budget if they're going to go after those players.

I also think that here in the East Coast people tend to look at private schools as the pinnacle of education (the ivies, etc) while in the midwest public universities (eg. U of Michigan, Ohio State) are considered top notch.

15. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    ...and swimming...I'd give the men's team another year or so, lots of injuries last year but still poor performance. Women's needs to win or get a new coach. He doesn't garner much repect from the current players.

16. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Heard Air force coach resigned? True?

17. scottmsg

scottmsg Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Rockport, IN
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    According to the recruiting spreadsheet, UMass lost a commit to Rhode Island. Gotta think this has to do with the coach leaving.

19. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    Question is them what is UMASS doing? Who are they going to hire, and when? Do they even care?
    Also any insight to what took place at Iowa State and the assistant that got let go? Have they filled that spot yet? Pre seasons here before you know it.

20. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    According to the spreadsheet SMU lost a 2010 commit.

21. soccerkeeper1

soccerkeeper1 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    What spread sheet? What did happen at Iowa State? Also Ole Miss is on the HOT SEAT from what the new assistant coaches were told?
    SMU Alumni are calling for a change, as well as the players.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  23. psc2009

psc2009 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  24. eastcoastsocer

eastcoastsocer New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Napoli Appointed UMass Women's Soccer Head Coach For 2009 Season

A 2000 UMass grad, Napoli will serve as head coach of the Minutewomen on an interim basis.

July 21, 2009

AMHERST, Mass. - Former University of Massachusetts standout goalkeeper Angela Napoli has been appointed UMass Women's Soccer head coach for the 2009 season, Director of Athletics John McCutcheon announced on Tuesday. Napoli, a 2000 UMass graduate, spent the past four seasons as an assistant coach of her alma mater after joining the women's soccer staff in July of 2005.
    "We are very pleased to hire Angela Napoli as our head coach for the 2009 season," said McCutcheon. "As the pre-season is just three weeks away, we feel that it is in the best interests of our program to move forward and give this leadership opportunity to Angela. We are fortunate to have an individual of Angela's experience and skills to provide direction to the program at this challenging time."
    Napoli, 31, takes over for longtime frontman Jim Rudy, who announced his retirement after 21 seasons at UMass on May 27.
    "I am thankful and honored for the opportunity to lead my alma mater," said Napoli, a native of Longmeadow. "I look forward to the upcoming season and to showing what I can achieve as head coach of the UMass women's soccer program."
    Over the past four years, UMass has combined 34-30-6 record, including an 11-6 mark in 2006.
    Prior to coming to UMass, Napoli spent the 2004 season at the University at Albany as an assistant coach, specifically working with the team's goalkeepers.
    Napoli also served as an assistant coach at William & Mary for two years. While on staff at W&M, the Tribe won the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) title in 2003 and made two appearances in the NCAA tournament (2002, 2003). After earning a degree in Sport Management from UMass, Napoli spent the 2001 season as an assistant coach at the University of Colorado.