Hot Seat 08-09

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by fishon, Jul 26, 2008.

1. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    from the gonzaga website:
    Amy Edwards Named New Women's Soccer Coach
    Edwards has coached at Missouri, Notre Dame, Fresno State and Tulsa
    who from francis marion???

2. darntaz

darntaz New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Summer would be a good hire. She has done a good job as asst head coach at UAB and is one of the hardest working recruiters out there. I think she played for Western Illinois

3. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think fishon was joking.

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Does not look good for Francis Marion. Until they name a coach, Beall has the best of both recruiting pools available from High Point and Francis Marion (since he left a few weeks before signing day). There have been at least 2 FM recruits switch to Highpoint, and probably any others that he thought were worthy. Timing is everything as they say.
    I think Marty will do well at HP but FM didn't get a win until their 13th game in 2008. They are at a huge disadvantage already with no real conference and now there's lots of work to do........ Any FM recruits for 2009 and 2010 better have a Plan B. FM could easily be re-evaluating their entire commitment to DI for women's soccer (totally a conjecture but they only elevated 2 sports to DI a few years ago).

5. bigbounce1

bigbounce1 Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    High Point took a step back in hiring Beall- his program did not finish well- High Point had been on the up tick of late.
    FM commitments changing to HPU- don't think they will be ready for that jump.

6. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Come on!!! Are you joking??? It is High Point. They are not jumping to UNC. FMU and HPU are two similiar programs. Probably why he was hired?

7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I think High Point is a step up from Francis Marion (which is still primarily a D2 school - I don't understand how that works, really). High Point isn't UNC, but it's not Northern Iowa or IPFW either.

8. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    check out the last few results of games between francis and high point..........

9. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    SMU-Rumour has it there will be a mass exodus of players from last years team, including several starters. Up to 10 leaving for greener pastures. Trouble on the hill?
    @import "http://diacache.daylife.com/_static/release-45054/v2/css/daylife/thickbox.css";

10. pritch71

pritch71 New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Where are they going? Do colleges still have money this late in the year?

11. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    Come on everyone. Really do you think players were going to FMU foR the school, university, or the education? NO....They went for the coach and his ability to recruit. So if players want to follow, so be it. How many players left HPU And Charl to go to Kentucky? Thats right it happens. So many times I hear on here " the player has to choose the right school and not the coaches. Well the schools are not the ones reaching out recruiting these kids. Its the coaches. So if a player wants to play for a coach, they have that right. MB Will do a better job at HPU.

12. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    there's ALWAYS money for good players.

13. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    My Daughter signed an NLI and Grant in Aid form two years ago, and no where on any of the forms, mentioned the coach, his name etc...He never even signed it. Signatures where financial aid people.

With coaches changing every year (what 45 new womens coaches last year?) , not too smart to "Sign with a Coach".

14. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    SMU- One to Baylor, One to Tenn., Possibly one to Northwestern....

15. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Well the way I see it, Its 50/50. The players Sign for either the School or the Coach. Clearly at FMU they were coming to play for Marty. Not the University.
    OLDKEEPER....Who are these kids leaving SMU? The unhappy ones (Sat the bench, no playing time, No scholarship money) leaving SMU. Whats going on at SMU?

16. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    What I've heard is up to 10 leaving...not all starters but I believe 4-5 with signifcant playing time. Now admittedly Erwin has brought in 2 HUGE classes so not everyone will be happy with playing time but I don't think that's the key issue. There have been complaints about his coaching "style" since he arrived. Not very PC.

17. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004

Also saw he was losing an asst. coach. Does this guy see the writing on the wall with Erwin. I mean his buddy is no longer at SMU and now coaching with FC Dallas. So when he gets fired does he go there and coach.

18. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Over the past year. ALOT as been written on hear about SMU & the HC. If so many of the Alumni are not happy. Well they should have kept GVL, and not let him go to Baylor. Erwin has been called a cheater, verbal abuser, and VERY much like a mens coach in his style (What does that mean)? If he is a cheat it will come out, If he is pushing his players out the door. Then maybe those players were not strong enough to stay in the SMU door frame as it is? What do you have to support the problems in Dallas other than UNHAPPY players, parents, and club coaches? What that he pushes his players, recruits better players than he has? What?

19. ukfangk_1

ukfangk_1 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    rumor, Francis Marion men's asst. coach to be named Head Women's Coach.

20. oldkeeper

oldkeeper New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I would say a University (not AD) investigation on his treatment of players is a good start, that and potential recruiting violations....other than that, not much :cool: At a loss as who the GVL is we should have kept.

21. wingerdd

wingerdd Member

Jan 31, 2007
    One very obvious problem is the team record. They went from a top 25 team, perennial conference winners(WAC and CUSA) and consecutive NCAA appearances under JC to bottom of the barrel, not even making the conference tourny in 2007 and one and done this year.

He's a terrific recruiter, no doubt about that. But more is required from the HC than just good recruiting.

22. martasccr11

martasccr11 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    you are kidding, right? good hire? if she is such a good recruiter than how come they have struggled the past two seasons? they were good her first few years and you can't give her any credit with kids committing so early. you have to credit the HC and former asst. you are going to tell the program and everyone involved in soccer that this was the most qualified and best candidate for the program? wait and see. she will not be over .500 in her first 4 years. the administration botched this one. guess soccer isn't a priority there.

23. martasccr11

martasccr11 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    you are kidding, right? good hire:confused:? if she is such a good recruiter than how come they have struggled the past two seasons? they were good her first few years and you can't give her any credit with kids committing so early. you have to credit the HC and former asst. you are going to tell the program and everyone involved in soccer that this was the most qualified and best candidate for the program? wait and see. she will not be over .500 in her first 4 years. the administration botched this one. guess soccer isn't a priority there.

24. soccerkeeper1

soccerkeeper1 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    MAN! martasccr11, who pissed in your post toasties. Summer is an outstanding coach, person, recruiter and will do an even better job than the last coach. Left to be an assistant (Yeah I know Arkansas). Must not have wanted the weight of being a HC on his Shoulders? Summer works her tail off and did a great job at UAB. Summer will raise the bar. martasccr11 SO BITTER? Did you not get the job?

25. martasccr11

martasccr11 New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    summer is a good person, i agree. if you are saying she is an outstanding coach and recruiter, than at least some of the fault needs to fall on her for the two poor seasons they have had recently. there are many asst coaches that work their tails off. i will tell you what, lets see how she does next fall. from what i saw, they only lost a few players. can't do much worse than 3 wins. and by the way, i should have applied if i knew that was the best candidate in the pool........ time will tell soccerkeeper1. maybe that is why you are so bias, you are both keepers!!!