Horvath and Steffen, let's talk about US keepers in Europe

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by futbal nut, Dec 23, 2019.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    5 straight very poor grades. The rest are pretty good to very good. But that's a wrong thread anyway.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    So poor that he is Düsseldorf highest rated player. 4FB75871-5742-4B4A-8B7B-0C5E886E4555.png

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Don't change a subject. I've been demonstrating that he is streaky, not that he is poor.

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    #29 nobody, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    I think Steffan is a step down from many goalies we've had in the past and his foot skills and passing out are lacking, skills that the older guys admittedly didn't have to worry about as much. For his reason, I cant really see him ever getting a run at Manchester City. But, he is playing and succeeding in the Bundesliga. I considered Horvath his equal when they were both plying, but until Ethan gets back on the field, he's going to have to wait. No way, he's competition for Steffan as long as he's watching from the bench every game for months on end while Steffan racks up the minutes in a top league.

Now, I'm not sure Steffan would beat out Mingolet either, but Horvath's club situation isn't doing him any favors. He needs to move if he can't get on the field and the sooner the better. Get some games and then come back and stake a claim for the US. As things are now, he's likely out of the picture until things change.

sXeWesley, Eleven Bravo and truefan420 repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but I would throw Ethan some minutes in a friendly to get him some PT and put him back in the shop window light. I know scouting doesn’t work like that but still people like to see current/recent data points. There’s precedence for this in the past.

DHC1 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Both need to make sure their next move is their best. Would be great to see Horvath join the Bundesliga.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Steffen is a special talent, IMO. His reactions and instincts are elite. He reminds me a lot of Keller in that regard. Keller was also a somewhat more laid back leader on the field. Steffens next step is to start to assert himself on the game...to direct and intimidate.

Horvath has a lot of talent as well. His size and positioning are very good. The refinement that he needs comes from getting tested over 90 minutes against skilled players and good coaches.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looks like with both not playing in ages, the war between the Steffenites and the Horvathians has come to an end...

[​IMG]

9. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    In form Horvath > In form Steffen tbh

Both guys are out of form right now though lol

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh I’m not thrilled about him doing that. Pep will require him to work on his game which is good but he’s only getting domestic cup game’s. EPL and UCL if they have it will be Emerson. For a year chill but after that he can’t be playing that few of games.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree

13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I think he’s ready to be challenged to grow. If he wants it, he can take it. He has all the talent he needs to take the next step.

deejay and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he stays for a year then yea he will he challenged to grow and that’s why I’m ok with it for a year. Yes he has talent. However, he’s not close to Emerson. He stands zero chance of beating Emerson out.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Agree. For 1 year, sounds perfect. He will have like 10 matches to prove himself (more if Ederson is injured or they are allowed in European matches). So, in 1 year maybe he challenges Ederson as no. 1 (small chance currently but who knows) or he gets a nice move to a nice club in a top 3 league. Win Win

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eh, for a year its OK.
    Claudio Bravo played in 17 games this season.
    He may have gotten more if the season hadn't been totally mucked up.

Would I prefer Steffen is loaned out again to be a full-time starter in a league like the Bundesliga? Of course.

This year Horvath was a bench player in the Belgian League.
    We'll have to see where he goes in the off-season as well.
    I don't know how anybody can argue he's ahead of Steffen at the moment. But to each his own......................

Who's third string? Hell if I know. Who's our U23 Olympic keeper? Hell if I know.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think anyone would argue he’s ahead of him because he hasn’t played much in a year. And Greg loves Steffen. However, I think you can argue he’s shown he’s capable of being the better GK of the two. He needs to move and get PT. Hopefully at a good level. He does that and it’s a convo again.

DHC1 repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think a move to Man City is crucial for him. He's confident with the ball at his feet which is a start but the big issue is his decision making in distribution. Nowhere better to learn distribution than City.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think neither is likely to reach peak-Guzan level the way things are going.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could def work out well in the short term but I have reservations about him staying there as a n2 long term. It shouldn’t be more than a year. If that’s the plan then great. If he stays too long it’s going to cost him his spot in the 11 if Horvath lands on his feet.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Peak Guzan was a starter for a team that was always flirting with relegation and then did get relegated. Let's not get carried away here.

22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. LandyShades

LandyShades New Member

Jan 11, 2014
    You're saying you want to cap the dude that made one appearance this season for Chelsea's U18 squad?

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well.............Guzan did play almost 200 games across all competitions for Premier League clubs (Villa then Boro). Ethan Horvath? How many games in a "big" European league has he played?

Due to the failures to come, I think folks have forgotten all of the good games that Brad Guzan played for the USMNT. In the 2014 cycle, he started several key WCQers while Howard was out injured. The most memorable one was the "Snowclassico" against Costa Rica. THe other was the 0-0 draw at the Azteca. It was Guzan that was in goal, for instance, as we made the semifinal of the 2016 Copa America.

Anyway, I think Guzan is a little underappreciated because of the three quality keepers that came before him.

Horvath and Steffen haven't reached that level yet. Steffen has played one injury-plagued season in the Bundesliga, and Horvath was a reserve in Belgium this year. People keep wanting desperately to turn Horvath into an elite international keeper, but sometimes the "meat market" of European football tells you where a player is. He's not an 18 year old prospect. He's 25.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think that is absolutely true. You can always point to mitigating factors like unusual club situations or injuries, but neither Horvath nor Steffan have been able to carve out much of a playing resume at top level. Horvath looked on his way until his club situation got derailed and Steffan's never really gotten started. Right now, we have no idea if Horvath will land anywhere getting minutes and Steffan looks likely to be sitting on the bench a lot at City if that goes through. Guzan clearly was more accomplished for several years, and I'd trust him in qualifiers if necessary. Howard was clearly better, but I do feel like for a cople years there Guzan should have gotten more games as Howard aged. I don't see Guzan letting in the howler at T&T, hindsight being 20/20. The younger goalies are at the age they should be supplanting him, but they still need to show something on the field and especially with the US not playing, if they don't get games with their clubs, that's a awful lot of rust..

LouisianaViking07/09 and butters59 repped this.