Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Mark Tan Chun-Lok has moved up to Guangzhou R&F (CSL club) from R&F FC (HKPL club) and might be making his debut for the club in CSL soon.

That means he will also likely play in the Guangzhou R&F vs Southampton FC exhibition match in Macau on 24 July.

2. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/sport/20190710/bkn-20190710070050086-0710_00882_001.html

[​IMG]

Peter Man Pei-Tak will take charge of Hong Kong Pegasus as its head coach. The club has gone through quite a big change in the summer. Travis Major and Jack Sealy have left. But Sasaki Sho will stay. Marcos from Southern District has joined as well as a bunch of young players from Yuen Long FC. A foreigner right winger will join the club soon.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Their eighth head coach in four years. With the recent departure of Kenneth Kwok from the HKFA, one wonders if he could be Pegasus' next head coach if Man fails to get Pegasus to a hot start. We know that Kwok will receive his Pro license in November and is unlikely to take a job before then, but afterwards...

6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Tsun Dai has left Oxford United to join EPL club Wolverhampton Wanderers FC'. He will play in the U23 side first.

7. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    Happy Valley signed Pakistani Jahangir Khan. He does have HK ID card but no HK SAR passport yet. He will therefore be registered as an Asian foreigner until he acquires his HK SAR passport.

8. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bad news for Dreams FC:

9. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dreams' official statement:

11. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is the reason why I favour a franchise system like the MLS, with regular season and play-offs. 10 clubs will play each other as per normal league, then the top 8 clubs will go into the play-offs.

All clubs must submit a business plan with some sort of financial guarantee, then they will sign a contract with HKPL, guaranteeing their participation for 3 years. Any club who wants to take part within this 3 years period, they must takeover one of the franchises, that means buying them out.

That means clubs are guaranteed their places in HKPL for 3 years and they will be more willing to invest and a little easier for them to attract sponsors as well as players. The regular and play-off system also means the competition among the bottom 3-4 clubs will continue throughout the season, unless the bottom two are too far behind.

Anyway, the relegation of Dreams FC might mean the return of South China, who are supposed to have been approached by potential sponsors? If they act now and recruit the Dreams FC players, especially captain Chan Wai-Ho, add their own First Division players, they might be able to get a reasonable squad together. But I guess it is already too late for that.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It will almost assuredly be Rangers. Philip Lee claims to have received an official invitation from the HKFA, and if there are no outstanding issues, they will sign Poon Pak On and Peng Lin Lin from Dreams.

13. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Rangers applied to be promoted to HKPL but are still waiting for today's HKFA board meeting before receiving an official invitation/confirmation.

Anyway either Dreams FC or Rangers, they make no difference to me. Neither are title contenders and both say they want to train young players.

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Brian Fok has signed with Kitchee and he will wear no. 15. He is a central defender and is a Hong Kong/Nigeria mix blood, therefore he is eligible as a local player.

15. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    It's good that he has come back to HK, perhaps now we will have a chance of making the national team. No idea what he was up to overseas as it seemed like he was stalling!

16. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pui Kwan-Kay (HKFA chairman) said they have sent an official invitation to Biu Chun Rangers to compete in HKPL next season, but Philip Lee said he wants HKPL to cease promotion/relegation for 3 seasons. Pui Kwan-Kay said HKPL is not prepared to accept this condition so they might invite Wing Yee, which finished 4th in HK First Division last season.

As I said, HKPL is not suitable for promotion/relegation system. Because the clubs need to protect their or their sponsors' investments. I hope HKFA and the clubs wake up to this fact soon.

17. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/sport/20190715/bkn-20190715120510863-0715_00882_001.html

Happy Valley officially opened training camp today. Notes:

- Their expected budget is around $10 million
    - They have four foreigners confirmed and currently have have three foreigners on trial
    - Due to the pecking order, the only home grounds that they choose from right now are Tuen Muen Tang Shiu Kin Sports Ground and Siu Sai Wan. However, they hope that either Sham Shiu Po or Hammerhill Road falls into their lap as they would prefer a stadium that is closer to the city centre
    - The plans have changed on the training ground front. Instead of building their own ground in Nansha, they are now exploring the possibility of sharing the four pitches owned by Zhao Dayu Soccer School.
    - Pao Ka Yiu is the new head coach of the club. Sham Kwok Pui will new be an assistant.

18. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1243 adrenaline11, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    They've given Rangers a week to respond but I suspect that even if they decline, an invitation will be extended to Hoi King instead as they were the only other club who applied.

I used to think along the same lines but I no longer think suspending pro/rel will solve this problem. Sponsors don't want to commit for a more than a year at at time - full stop.

Over the years, we've seen Metro Gallery, South China and Dreams all self-relegate even when they were well clear of relegation. We've also seen Sun Hei and Wong Tai Sin both decline promotion. This evidence seems to suggest that running a professional club is expensive and thus, higher sponsorship premiums will be charged. But there's also another big reason why sponsors don't want to commit long term - no one watches Hong Kong football.

It's equally humorous and sad to see that average attendance has actually gone down since the HKPL was formed. Last year, the attendance was less than 1,000 per match, well short of the 5,000 we were promised with Project Phoenix. At the same time, matches are broadcasted exclusively online, if broadcasted at all. Perhaps it is impossible for HKPL clubs to afford airtime on TVB, but when you can't even get on Viu or RTHK, then you have a serious problem with viewership.

Along with suspending pro/rel, I've also heard many in the football community talk about legalizing betting local football and giving tax exemptions to companies that sponsor sports. Both of these are good ideas but you need more people, beyond gamblers and commercial interests to watch your product. How do you convince potential sponsors that there will be any return on investment if most people don't even know where they can watch the games?

Suspending pro/rel will not fix the problem of viewership, however, I do support this idea for one reason - so that we can stop pretending as if it's based on merit.

19. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/sport/20190716/00286_002.html

It appears that Philip Lee requested no relegation FOR 3 seasons for Biu Chun Rangers ONLY. Wow, that is cheeky.

If I were HKFA then I would definitely NOT allow this to happen. It has to be no relegation for all or promotion/relegation stays.

One thing HKFA REALLY need to fix apart from the marketing side, it is the refereeing problem. A lot of times people, including players, coaches and spectators are just very upset by the HK referees' decisions. It could be a real turn off sometimes and they must find a solution.

20. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Eastern Longlions FC and Hong Kong international striker, 32 years-old Jaime McKee surprisingly announced his retirement on social media.

"After over a decade of playing professional football in Hong Kong, I’ve decided it’s time to retire. I’ve had so many unbelievable memories and I want to thank everyone who’s been involved in creating them, thank you!"

21. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is quite a surprise and I didn't expect McKee to announce his retirement so soon. Either ways, I would still want to thank him for his contribution within Hong Kong football and wish him all the best within the future.

22. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    That is extremely surprising. At 32 he still has a couple of years to go at least, his speed was still top notch as seen in the latest HK match.

But having said all that, his retirement will open up the forward spot of the HK team and finally allow some youngsters to come up.

23. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They'll miss his pace and his experience for sure.

However, things look bright for Eastern. They've unveiled their squad this morning and it looks as though they've acquired everyone who was a starter last year at Tai Po, minus Sandro and Sartori.

24. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    They must loan a good chunk of players out soon? Looks like they have over 30 first team squad members as of now...

25. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you didn't know better then you would thought they were playing in an Asian competition as well, with so many players signed.

Wong Wai is a glaring exception. There is strong rumour that he will move to the Chinese Jia League.