Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Kitchee will play away to Perak tomorrow 21:00 at Perak Stadium in the ACL preliminary round. The winner will progress to the 2nd round and face Ulsan Hyundai

Kitchee coach Chu Chi Kwong said the local weather in Malaysia is a huge concern and his players need to adapt well. He also said Perak is a good side and very speedy.

I think Kitchee might just be able to get through based on slightly better form as well as because they have fewer injured players now. I hope they win because it is important for Hong Kong clubs to do well in Asian competitions.

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kitchee came within one penalty of sealing an improbably comeback against Perak.

And once again, they crash out of Asia, on penalties.

3. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now they get to play in the reformed AFC Cup with the likes of 4.25, Hang Yuen and (probably) Wofoo Tai Po, with the group winners advancing directly to the semi-finals. What a crappy match up and lousy tournament.

Kitchee and Tai Po in same AFC Cup group. That means Mong Kok Stadium for both. How wonderful. Every game in Mong Kok Stadium, every Hong Kong football fans' dream realized.

The game will die in Hong Kong soon.

4. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    Andrejs Štolcers (left and inset) from Latvia is the new head coach and technical director of Eastern Longlions. He already arrived a few weeks ago to be appointed technical director, but as Chan Yuen-Ting resigned, he is taking up the head coach position as well.

5. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just really disappointed and frustrated by Kitchee's defeat. All the hard work and talk from last year's ACL group stage seems to have bear no fruit at the club at all. Nobody at the club seemed to have learnt anything from last year and the whole club regressed.

Okay it might be something to do with the forced closure of their own training ground due to typhoon damage. But still I believe they could have prepared for the season and especially the Perak game better. Perak's coach did not even seem particularly keen to progress to the next round. (No chance to beat Ulsan Hyundai and a flyaway to a cold country at the beginning of the Malaysian League season. All seems to be a waste of time and energy.) Yet Kitchee lost an early goal and their newly recruited Aussie defender got sent off.

Why did they sign a 36 year old defender? I'd have gone for Jared Lam as my Asian player and have a local central defender partner Helio. Jared Lam has been so loyal and good for the club, yet Kitchee's way to repay his loyalty is to sign a 36 year old defender to take his rightful place in Asian competitions.

The other foreigners they signed at the beginning of the season have both been disappointments. Robert is now loaned to Hoi King and Tadic is injured. Both will not feature in the club's AFC Cup plans. Yet they trusted their latest recruit Matt Smith. Did Robert and Tadic's problems not teach them anything? Chu Chi-Kwong's thinking is beyond me.

I just hope Kitchee makes it to the AFC Cup final and qualifies for the ACL preliminary round through that route. But unless Robert, Tadic and Matt Smith really comes good as Kitchee believe they can, otherwise that is very unlikely.