Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    I agree national team should be hard to break into - I'm sure everyone does. But I think what people (and players) are angry about is that it seems that SOME naturalized players are being given a spot on the team at the cost of a more qualified local player. For example, Ngue's 8 caps probably could've been better spent on another player.

I believe the point most are trying to make is that if a naturalized player and a local player are roughly the same, the naturalized player will get the nod.

2. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Sapling Cup

Wofoo Tai Po 1:2 Dream FC

3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Full Time:

Sapling Cup:

KC Southern Vs Kitchee SC: 1:1
    Eastern Long Lions Vs R&F HK - 1:1

5. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hong Kong has moved up to 141 in FIFA rankings, up 3 places from the previous edition, after success in EAFF E1 Cup qualification.

Our main rival for ACL group stage direct slot, Malaysia, is 167.

7. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Full Time: Kitchee Vs HK Pegasus - 3:0

Josip TADIC, Lucas SILVA and Krisztian VADOCZ all scored to secure three points against HK Pegasus.

Anyways, speaking of which players could represent Hong Kong in the future, I'm pretty sure that R&F HK's Sean TSE Ka-Keung would become eligible to represent the national team next year?

8. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Yes, Sean Tse will be eligible at the conclusion of this season. He has already stated the reason he stayed in HK is because he was so close to representing the national team. Question is, will he be picked?

9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Having seen the highlights, that was some shocking stuff from Pegasus. If you told me that the ICAC was investigating that game for match fixing, I could understand why. The manner in which they consistently gave the ball away under no pressure was suspicious to say the least.

It depends on where White would use him. If it's CB, he's a borderline player. If it's DM, he's not making the squad as White only plays with one holding midfielder.

10. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL

Lee Man 1:1 KC Southern Disctrict
    Dream FC 4:3 Hoi King
    R&F FC 5:2 Best Union Yuen Long FC
    Eastern Longlions 0:0 Wofoo Tai Po

R&F FC now tops the table by 1 point from Eastern Longlions, who has a game in hand.

11. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    I hope he stays healthy enough to be considered. It seems like he's been plagued with injuries in the 7 years he has been in HK.

Festus Baise should have 1 more year at most left in him on the national team. After that, HK will need to find a new long term CB, most likely Leung Nok Hang, Lau Hok Ming, or Sean Tse.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't forget about Tsui Wang Kit either although at the moment, both White and his club manager see him as a FB rather than a CB.

13. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    He's too small for a CB - and note while I strongly believe 5'9 is enough to be a good CB (see Puyol, for example), HK's offensive strategy involves stacking big men in the box to score headers (see Andy Russell).

Of course, I haven't seen him play since he moved to China, so perhaps he has the jumping ability/ athleticism like Baise to make it.

14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kenneth Kwok used him as a CB at the Asian Games. Tsui reads the game well for his age. He's the type of player you can rely on to step in front of a pass.

15. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL:

[​IMG]

R&F FC 1:1 KC Southern District
    Lee Man 1:2 Wofoo Tai Po
    Eastern Longlions 1:2 HK Pegasus
    Hoi King 0:0 Best United Yuen Long FC

It is certainly tight at the top with the top 6 clubs only 4 points apart.

16. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This round of fixtures isn't over yet and Kitchee have already had the best week.

17. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Breaking News!!! Gary White has resigned from Hong Kong national team coach post!!! He has signed for a Japanese club!!!

I assume HKFA receives compensation for this.

18. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It turns out HKFA and Gary White's contract includes a probation period of 3 months. Gary White is leaving just before the probation period is over so there is no compensation for HKFA.

I guess HKFA did not expect anyone to try to sign him, but that in itself very strange because Gary White said he had another offer in hand even before he signed with HKFA.

19. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    I wonder why he decided to leave? Turns out this JLeague offer was around even before he signed for HK. Was it his plan all along - to use HKG as a spring board?

20. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its a real shame and I really do not know what to say about White's sudden departure since he had made a number of goals with what he can do with the Hong Kong National Team.

It really does make me wonder, which other candidates could the HKFA turn to next?

21. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Most likely Steven Lo and Canny Leung's favourite Kevin Bond.

22. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    I wonder if there was any pressure for him to leave, or whether he was made to feel unwelcome, or whether he just wanted to leave.

Regardless, his goal of playing more games - every international window - was a good one, and I hope his successor will follow that strategy and not fall back to playing just 5-6 international matches per year.

23. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Much like all of you, I'm disappointed that he's leaving but even more so at the timing of it of all. The situation we find ourselves in is that are now without a permanent CEO, a TD and a head coach. We are six months away from HKFA board elections, nine months from the start of World Cup Qualifiers and 15 months away from the expiry of government funding.

I cannot stress enough how serious the situation is. The HKFA have to get this right.

I suspect the probation period was in there to avoid a repeat of the Ernie Merrick situation.

The word on the street is that Japan is where his family lives and its also where his coaching badges were earned.

24. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think he was under pressure to leave, he just wanted to move to Japan where his family are and where the football environment and quality are better. Who in Asia wouldn't want to work in Japanese football?

25. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The preliminary squad named for the upcoming 40th HK-Guangdong Cup scheduled for early next month:

Goalkeepers:
    TSE Ka-Wing (Dreams FC), Wilson KO Chun (Lee Man), CHOY Tsz-Ho (KC Southern)

Defenders:
    CHUN Sing-Lam (BC Rangers), TSE Wai-Chun (Yuen Long), POON Pak-On (Dreams FC), Matthew CHAN Ching-Him (Eastern Long Lions), LAW Tsz-Chun (Kitchee SC), Paco CHAN Hoi-Pak (KC Southern), YU Wai-Lim (Lee Man), LEUNG Nok-Hang (R&F HK)

Midfielders:
    YUE Tsz-Nam (Eastern Long Lions), HO Chun-Ting (Hoi King), LEE Kai-Chi (Hoi King), WU Chun-Ming (HK Pegasus), CHENG Chin-Lung (Kitchee SC), Yuto NAKAMURA (Kitchee SC), Christopher CHUNG Jhen-Hoong (KC Southern), Remi DUJARDIN.

Forwards:
    Jordan LAM Lok-Kan (Dreams FC), PENG Lin-Lin (Dreams FC), Harima HIROKANE (Hoi King), SUN Ming-Him (Hoi King), CHENG Siu-Kwan (Lee Man), YUEN Chun-Sing (R&F HK), CHENG Tsz-Sum (Wofoo Tai Po FC), Matthew Elliot ORR Wing-Kai.