Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Kitchee will probably try to win all the opening matches from now until January, so that when they have to play in the Asian club competition, they will have some room to drop points and they will play their young players then in the HKPL.

I don't see how the other clubs can match Kitchee. R&F have a good squad but they need time to gel as a team. They could easily lose points as apart from Hoi King and Yuen Long, all the rest have spent good money and are good teams.

2. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    What do you guys think of Lam Zhi Gin? Like his teammate Sean Tse, Lam came in to quite some fanfare given his background. But he hasn't lived up to it. I've been disappointed watching him in the past 2 years with Kitchee, he hasn't really been a key cog in their successful runs and I'm surprised an ex-Bundisliga man in his prime cannot make a big impact in the HKPL.

Contrast that with an aging star in Diego Forlan, and the impact he had almost immediately...

3. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL

Lee Man FC 0:2 Kitchee

A winning start for Kitchee. Fernando and Yuto Nakamura scored.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A decent performance for Lee Man. They lack creativity and chemistry but that should come with time.

Talento seems to be a threat every time he touches the ball but he also tries to do too much at times.

5. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL:

Southern District vs Hoi King postponed due to heavy rain.

Dreams FC 1:4 HK Pegasus

Best Union Yuen Long FC 4:4 Wofoo Tai Po

Eastern Longlions 3:2 R&F FC

6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quite a start to the season. I think Eastern Longlions must be thanking their lucky stars for the win against R&F FC. They scored in the 90th and 94th minutes to overturn the score, after Lo Kwan-Yee clashed heads with his life-long Kitchee teammate Lam Kar-Wai and was sent off for his second bookable offence.

Best Union Yuen Long also put in a stellar performance for this young team against one of the title hopefuls Wofoo Tai Po. I think any team that visits Yuen Long must be extra careful.

7. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #807 adrenaline11, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    The accusation was that he led with his elbow. I don't agree with the call either as it's clear that Lo had eyes on the ball and established his position before Lam did.

[​IMG]

R&F should not use it as excuse however. They switched off after 90 minutes and didn't defend properly.

8. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    What a start to the season. I watched the R&F and Eastern game and it was fantastic. We saw exactly why Tan Chun Lok was signed by a CSL side despite being only 22; he ran the offense, defended, and provided some peach passes. I don't think HK has seen a local midfielder as complete as him - at any age - in a while. He's like Lam Ka Wai, but a lot more physical.

9. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Best United Yuen Long 4:4 Wofoo Tai Po

10. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  11. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Indeed Mr. Gary White is set to start work as Hong Kong coach on Monday (10 Sep). But HKFA Board member Canny Leung said on her facebook page that she will leave HKFA and tell everyone what actually happened behind the scenes if he is hired.

Apparently one person within HKFA single-handedly decided on hiring Mr. White, ignoring or bypassing the hiring process in part or in whole.

OK I have no idea at all what she is talking about... but a lot of people on her facebook echo her sentiments, even though I believe they don't know what is going on as well...

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sounds like she wanted Bond. Given the choice between Bond or White, I'd take White and thank whoever the one person was that wanted White.

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some more details are coming through. Gary White apparently did not apply for the post, but Kevin Bond and Josep Gombau did. So to give the post to White is a procedural problem.

15. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That would be a very odd and unfair proposition made by the HKFA considering if White did not initially apply for the post (even though he is the ideal candidate) and I can sort of understand why Canny is considering resigning.

If it were between Gombau or Bond via the application process, I would have went with Gombau but he's no longer a candidate since he's now head coach of an Indian based club.

16. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  17. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wrap up from Matchday 2:

Southern 2–0 Dreams

Second half goals from Ha and Martins were enough for Southern to see off a wasteful Dreams team who should've taken the lead in the first half.

Tai Po 4–3 Pegasus

Pegasus were denied a late penalty Juninho was brought down in the box late in the match but the referee deemed that no foul had occurred.

Lee Man 0–2 Yuen Long

Yuen Long broke Lee Man on the counter twice as they've claimed an improbable four points from their first two matches.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Elsewhere, Mangkhut wrecked havoc on Hong Kong, prompting the HKFA to postpone all matches on Sunday. Significant damage was done to the canopy at the Aberdeen Sports Ground.

[​IMG]

The Jockey Club Kitchee Centre was devasted by flooding causing them to
    suspend operations on Monday and Tuesday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground looked like an overflowing toilet due to the accumulating rain.

20. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Senior Challenge Shield

Dream FC 1:1 (5:3) HK Pegasus

Dream FC will progress to the quarter final against Kitchee.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Senior Challenge Shield

Wofoo Tai Po 5:0 Hoi King

Harry Sawyer scored a hat-trick on his debut for Tai Po.

Actually I don't understand quite why last season's league 1st runner's up is doing in the preliminary round of the competition. Hoi King's Korean players are not yet registered with the HKFA so they could not play. They will play against Lee Man in their next match.

23. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]

Kitchee 1:1 Eastern Longlions

What a difference half a year makes. Remember Eastern Longlions lost 1-8 to Kitchee earlier this year?

24. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dreams FC 2:2 Wofoo Tai Po

Dreams FC youngster Peng Lam-Lam scored his first ever HKPL goal to equalize for Dreams FC and gain the club's first point this season.

25. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Credit to Gary White for attending both matches yesterday.