Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    CHUCK Yiu-Kwok gives his reason on why he decided to move to FC Chiasso:

“I’ve been playing professionally for a few years and I always wondered whether I would have a chance to play overseas and improve my skills as a footballer,” said Chuck on his fans’ Facebook page. “I want to see how far I can go.”

“Every footballer wants to represent their national team. If we play well, it’s exciting to hear the fans cheering for you. We want more people to support the players. Even if the fans scold us it doesn’t matter, I want people to know who Chuck Yiu-kwok is and I’ll improve.”

http://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong...-can-go-footballer-tommy-chuck-becomes-latest

It will be very interesting to see whether he can really develop his skills with the FC Chiasso and hopefully he does well.

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It sounds like he's gone there partly to improve himself for the benefit of the national team. I wonder if he'll be as eager to represent Hong Kong if he finds success in Europe and he's faced with the choice of leaving for international duty and potentially losing his place at the club or declining his call ups in order to focus on his club career.

3. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Speaking of managers, which or what sort of coach would you want to guide the national football team?

Either way it will be interesting to see who the HKFA chose as Kim's successor, but more importantly it has to be someone who can take the national team to the next level.

4. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Kaptah

Kaptah Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.tv2.no/a/9769431/

According to Norwegian media Jörn Andersen (North Korea head coach whose contract ended after match against Hong Kong) is "close" to signing for Hong Kong. There you'd have a coach of high calibre who is already familiar with East Asia and Hong Kong.

6. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kitchee SC suffered a narrow defeat to Tianjin Quanjian in the AFC Champions League:

7. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not sure someone without local HK league experience will know how to deal with the club financiers who can get difficult with releasing their players for the national team.

8. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You have to give Tianjin credit. They created better chances than Kitchee and probably should've won by more.

Alex was poor all night and should've been substituted off much earlier than the 76th minute. However, to take him off for Paulinho was troubling as he was never going to provide the quality that they needed in front of goal.

It was almost as if Kitchee were playing for a draw. To not be aggressive and use their final substitution on an attacking player was disappointing as Chu seemed to be content to finish last in the group.

Kitchee played fairly well last night. They've clearly learned how to play in Asia. They've earned a win against a 10 man squad but you wonder if they could've beaten an even strength squad if only they had the right amount of aggression.

9. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HK FA Cup

KC Southern District, Wofoo Tai Po, Kitchee and HK Pegasus have progressed to the semi-finals of the HK FA Cup.

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #635 adrenaline11, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

At least, unlike South China and Metro Gallery, they won something before going down.

11. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Chuck Yiu-Kwok scored a goal for FC Chiasso in a friendly against Lugano, which plays in the Swiss Premier League. The goal meant the two clubs drew 1-1.

12. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

R&F Guangzhou 1:2 KC Southern District

[​IMG]

Eastern Longlions 3:2 Lee Man

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Kitchee should qualify to play in the ACL preliminary round like Johor DT were this year? If they fail to progress then I believe they will go into the AFC Cup group stage.

I think then it is a good idea that they attend the 25 April match in Macau between Benfica Macau and 4.25 Sports Club and learn about their potential opposition next year.

15. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

SunBus Yuen Long 1:0 Dreams FC

Wofoo Tai Po 5:1 Biu Chun Rangers

The results mean Biu Chun Rangers still has a slim chance to remain in the Premier League next season. But in honestly SunBus Yuen Long will probably relegate itself to Division One as SunBus is likely to withdraw its sponsorship.

16. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #641 Angsa, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  17. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They should only make a big name signing if that signing will improve the team. Forlan didn't improve the team.

Absolutely 100%. Lack of continuity IMO is one of the biggest, if THE biggest reason why R&F, Dreams, Lee Man and Rangers are in the bottom four.

You cannot bring together a group of players who have never played together and expect them to achieve results right away. Combine that with a lack of game changing talent, poor scouting and constant turnover, and you have a recipe for failure.

18. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I did not like the way Kim Bong-Jin (#80) just stood there with his hand up while Jeonbuck scored their first goal. A player should never play referee.

But in the end I think Hong Kong clubs do not have the quality to play at this level. I think it is better we go back to the AFC Cup and see how that goes, even though the AFC Cup is a poor competition organizationally speaking.

mdhm repped this.
  19. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  20. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The only way HKFA can combat the illegal football syndicates is with help from Hong Kong Jockey Club's money, and HKJC will need the local league's betting rights in order to provide funds.

IMHO, the funding provided by HKJC must be in the form of prize money for winning league or cup matches. If the prize money is more than the money from the illegal betting syndicates, then the players will try to win, rather than throw the game away.

If there is significant prize money, then that will also attract a lot of interest from club owners. HKFA must set a limit on the number of top level clubs so the money is not spread too thin.

22. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wouldn't mind Josep Gombau and he does seem to have credentials with what he did with Adelaide United a few years ago.

23. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...g-soccer-players-cleared-match-fixing-charges

Kwok Kin-pong, Michael Cheng, Chan Pak-hang and Lee Ka-ho found not guilty. They are free. But I am not sure they will play professionally again. Will HK Pegasus take them back? We don't even know if HK Pegasus will continue next season...

The whole trial actually put Wofoo Tai Po player Wong Wai in a dark light. He is considered by the judge to be a untrustworthy witness.

24. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #649 adrenaline11, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    https://www.hk01.com/即時體育/178823/港超-梁孔德確認下季有10隊參戰-凱景有意升班-港會或留級+

The Board of Directors of the HKFA held a meeting on Monday to discuss the format for next year's HKPL. Afterwards, Brian Leung, who always has something to say, predictably had many things to tell the media.

- There will likely be 10 teams in next year's league. Leung says it's unlikely for the league to expand to 12 due to stadium availability and scheduling
    - HKFA agreed to give Yuen Long until the end of May to seek new sponsorship
    - Rangers would like to stay up but that's conditional on sponsorship and Yuen Long's situation
    - Hoi King, currently 8th in the First Division, have applied for promotion. They will be promoted as soon as they meet financial and HKPL club licensing requirements
    - HKFC were interested in coming back up but the HKFA wasn't keen on it as long as they refused to sign their players to professional contracts. Leung implies that HKFC is no longer interested
    - It was rumoured that Albirex Niigata had interest in establishing an HKPL club in addition to their Singaporean satellite. Leung claims he's not heard anything about it
    Disappointed to hear that the league won't expand to 12 due to venue ability. You can understand now why HKFC were allowed into the league last season as they own their own ground. Still, is it really that difficult to secure 10 stadiums for the 11 other clubs?

25. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not interested in an expanded league myself. There were quite a lot of matches with very disappointing attendance last year. So much so that HKFA CEO Mark Sutcliffe said they have missed their attendance targets of 2017-18. More is not better.

Also, Leisure and Cultural Services Dept controls all the football grounds and honestly quite a number of them are old with poor facilities. I really hope the HKFA and the govt can agree on a number of sports grounds that can be made "permanently" available for HKPL matches and re-develop them properly.