Honduras and Panama, here's the roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    was Arena going to call Lichaj in if he didn't pick up an injury?

Also, can we just call it quits on Bedoya. I think USSF is past him

sXeWesley repped this.
  2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey man, I just think the roster is similar. I hope and pray they play differently than any time since Vasquez left.

Give me some Acosta in midfield!

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Not claiming any special insight, but to try to offer one possible answer: I believe he has the exact right set of skills (perhaps not the most advanced versions, but the right combination) to play on the right side of a 3-man backline.

Given the inclusion of Ream, who is similarly equipped to play the corresponding left-sided role, I wonder if 3-5-2 is one card Bruce wants to have up his sleeve, even as an in-game adjustment.

EDIT -- come to think of it, isn't that how Toronto (read: Bradley) are lining up these days?

4. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Who would be the right side wingback?

5. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Acosta should be replacing Bradley. Hes on a better team and is becoming an integral part of that team. The game yesterday is a perfect illustration. Acosta has also shown himself to be a lot more versatile.

Since that is not going to happen, Acosta should be paired with Bradley.

nbstriker8 and vexco repped this.
  6. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Has anyone else noticed how autocorrect and small phone keys make it appear as if English is everyone's second Language?

7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Another thought on this roster
    If it does become Johnson Pulisic Nagbe in the mid with Bradley as the 6

The outside backs are much more likely than stay home more. That will have a cascading effect

With those midfielders creating width instead of the backs- more space for movement and runs by both mids and forwards

The backs won't have to defend on a high line - so it helps negate the counter and minimizes the need for speed by the fullbacks

It should also increase the effectiveness of our own counter when our main source of speed isn't from the fullbacks

It should also increase our ability to possess

jnielsen, sXeWesley and Bajoro repped this.
  8. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    As much as I like to make fun of MOF, he has put in some decent shifts for the usmnt at RB and CB. I expect to see him as a backup option if GCam plays RB or as a possible starting RB.

I think everyone just assumes outside backs have to be wingbacks now a days. I am perfectly fine with old school solid defenders. Let the attackers do the attacking.

9. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, I guess that is two different national team coaches that have agreed on whether Benny belongs or not.

And three national team coaches that see Bradley as a key member of the team -- and a leader worthy of being a captain.

The biggest change Bruce needs to bring is a change in attitude and commitment from the team. If he does that, he'll win with almost the exact same lineup that Klinsmann lost with.

I too was surprised by some selections/omissions, but nothing really outrageous given the injuries and suspensions. Frankly, to me the biggest omission was Besler, and then with a dearth of outside backs - Zusi, who is a bit of a utility knife.

But there was also no way Bruce was going to blow up the entire team -- he didn't have enough time. Shoot, he hasn't even personally seen the entire team together yet on the field under his purview. Things were never going to get drastically different given the timeframe.

Bajoro, deuteronomy and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't have a problem with it either. The historical problem with the USMNT is that the 6 players in front of the back four are usually not effective alone. When we are at our scoring best (historically) it is with a lot of width from the backs. Cherundolo, Hedjuk, Sannah for a brief sparkling moment. Even Bornstein and Pearce were able to provide that with acceptable defense.

tbonepat11 repped this.
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if Benny is getting a Bruce Arena Tacoma Tides jersey printed up for the next jersey day.

12. mattyfire

mattyfire New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is also how Dortmund (read: Pulisic) has been lining up but that is more of a 3421 with him in the 2

Pulisic has played there but I doubt he would for USMNT. I could see FJohnson moving there if it is a true wingback. If it is an ingame adjustment where we are chasing the game it could be Bedoya or Lletget.

If we have no fullbacks: don't play with fullbacks.

That being said, my guess is Villafana - Brooks - Gonzalez - Cameron

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are the Right Backs? Chandler? Lichaj? Yedlin (injury?)?

Pretty disappointed with the roster as there seems to be a lack of tactical decision making process on Arena.

CU soccer repped this.
  14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler, being suspended on YC accumulation, was left at home. Bruce didn't want to travel him for one game. Yedders, as you say, is recovering from injury and not fit. Eric was just left home.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's injured as well.

Eleven Bravo, sXeWesley and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    My guess is that we will play with more true, stay at home full backs with some overlaps but not with it being a major part of our offense.

With Johnson, Pulisic, Wood, Jozy and perhaps Nagbe all already to get forward, there will be less need to depend on the full backs for width. So Villafana and whomever is on the right side ( really hope they don't start Gonzo) will actually have less required of them than in the past. (I still assume they will get forward some as its too much part of today's game but I my guess is it will not happen near as much.

sXeWesley repped this.
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you did there. HA!

But yes, being a bit more attentive to tactical shifts and set up by our opponents will be a significant change with Arena from what we endured under Die Fraud.
    Arena has traditionally been a diamond 4-4-2 man. So I expect this formation at home. On the road at Panama however his tactics could shift which again, is a terrific move away from Klinsy and him just throwing players outta position or going with a 3 man back line against speedy teams. Which Honduras has in spades!

Honduras has speed. With 3 players playing on the same club team as DMB. DMB still has the wheels to run with his mark and still go 90 and has the huge upside of knowing what WCQ in our region is all about even if he is not a starter. I see why The Bruce brought him in this camp for these specific encounters.

sXeWesley, Footsatt and Bajoro repped this.
  18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    #143 nobody, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    I think Bruce has said all along that especially in these first couple games not to expect a lot of changes and that makes sense. You don't start in the hole and roll the dice. He's going to make a change or two and tweak the tactics, get some points and move forward. I'd expect bigger changes as things move ahead, keeping in mind that we're not different than most national teams in that switching out a coach mostly means personnel changes at the margins, the obvious choices are obvious no matter who coaches.

I'm not venturing a guess how Bruce will line these guys up completely, but I think you have to assume Wood and Pulisic start. If you play two forwards, then the midfield gets interesting really fast. Bruce has said this team needs a better passer, so maybe Nagbe? Then, you know Bradley as captain is starting, leaving only one spot left. Johnson or Jones? Johnson really makes this an attacking team in combination with 2 forwards. Play 'em both and leave Wood up top alone? Lots to be curious about for the front 6. Maybe 4 mids, Wood up top, and Pulisic in a free role just behind?

The defense will be interesting as well. Despite the Costa Rica fiasco, Brooks starts. Who do you pair him with? I'm in the camp that feels like you can't put Gonzalez back there with him or you're relying too much on size and have a serious lack of mobility. For me, Cameron or another more mobile player has to partner Brooks. If it is Cameron, we worry about right back, maybe Orozco. But Bruce has mentioned Cameron as a right back candidate and we're thin there. If Cameron goes wide right, who partners Brooks? Who else can bring some mobility as his partner? Can Ream play on the outside either right or left? Do we really not have a better option on the left than Beasley?

Lots of questions, looking forward to the game and finding out how Bruce answers them.

Marko72, deuteronomy and Pragidealist repped this.
  19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, Bruce has said repeatedly that getting points is the only priority, right now. Here is how Brian Schiaretta answered a few questions on the Emo Hyndman thread:

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Apart from the selection of Bedoya, which is an iffy selection, my only complaints are the decisions made in the back. I'm guessing with Orozco and Ream he's going with in-season guys, though I disagree with their selections. I'm not terribly disappointed by the exclusions of Kljestan or Feilhaber for this camp, both players that I consider likely to have a positive impact on qualifying this year, as neither have been particularly sharp early in the season (though I would've still chosen one of them over Bedoya). I'm pleased at the selections of both Dax and Acosta, both of whom have been excellent in the past couple of weeks and I would expect both to do well.

Footsatt, deuteronomy and Pragidealist repped this.
  21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s plenty to cheer and boo in Bruce Arena’s first Hexagonal roster

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...nd-boo-in-bruce-arenas-first-hexagonal-roster

Neither Sacha Kljestan nor Benny Feilhaber were included in this roster, which was a little bit of a shock to me. I thought at least one and possibly both would be here. That could be Arena telegraphing his moves a little bit: he hinted at a 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 set-up in his Facebook Q&A, which would call for a center midfielder that could take on more evenly-spaced duties between offense and defense. When asked if Pulisic could play in the middle, Arena agreed that he could, but also name-checked Sebastian Lletget, Darlington Nagbe, and Alejandro Bedoya as people who could play a #10. None of these guys really play #10 as an attacking midfielder though, and play more box-to-box roles in their teams than Kljestan and Feilhaber. Arena could be planning on unleashing Pulisic as a #10, but if he runs a two-striker set, Kljestan and Feilhaber might be tactically superfluous anyway, explaining their absence.

COMtnGuy, jnielsen and Marko72 repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ouch. Those are some sharp studs.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my thought a week out on Bruce's likely starting 11:

Howard
    Orozco-Cameron-Brooks-Villafana
    Pulisic-Bradley-Lleget-Johnson
    Altidore-Wood

Personally I'd prefer this 4-2-3-1

Howard
    Cameron-Gonzalez-Brooks-Villafana
    Bradley-Acosta
    Pulisic-Dempsey-Johnson
    Wood

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I was rather hoping that we'd try to play something more 433ish at home against Honduras (with a 442 look as something that we could switch to if need be), and probably a 442 away in Panama. But as this points out, what we've got looks a lot like a 442 or variant roster all the way.

I guess he's just not that confident that we'll be that sharp coming out against Honduras and so he's going with the old American reliable.

25. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree...unless Benny is injured or some other problem for which he cannot play. I thought he did very well in other two games. And we could definitely use him off of the bench. Leaving both he and Kjlestan out worries me. I think BA is thinking of using Pulisic as creative MF. Or could be Nagbe will fill in there. In either case, there should be a sub for that spot on the bench. Please BA do not attempt to slot MB into the creative midfielder role. Maybe Demps? I also hope he does not start Bedoya.

Johnson, Nagbe and Pulisic (also, to an extent, Demps) are all switchable between midfield and wings. However, with these four players, we can only have one true striker...and, it has to be Wood.

I would go with:
    Wood
    Dempsey
    Johnson Pulisic/Nagbe Nagbe/Pulisic
    Bradley (cause he is going to start...no matter what)
    Villafana Cameron Brooks ?

Howard

rlrcpa repped this.