Honduras and Panama, here's the roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 Paul Berry, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Well he's dropped overseas players Timmy Chandler, Lynden Gooch, Ethan Horvath, William Yarbrough, Julian Green and Cameron Carter-Vickers, none of which we'll miss.
    Arena said he thought Bradley played well against Serbia, though I couldn't see it but maybe he'll play in a different role.
    I agree about Bedoya, Orozco and Gonzales. I think Dempsey and Morris will play up front as Arena may not have the love affair with Altidore that his predecessor had. I think Pulisic will be on the bench unfortunately.

2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    LOL.

If Klinsmann had made these selections this place would have gone ballistic.:confused:

Anyway, my one real concern with Bruce is the same one I had back in 2006. That he would ride all of the old nags he knows.

I understand he thinks he needs experience in these 2 must win qualifiers, but there are several selections that if carried forward will not end well for this team.

Hopefully he can cobble together a squad that can get these 6 points, but.....

COMtnGuy, UnitedBorn, bsky22 and 2 others repped this.
  3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    One question before my 2¢: is Lichaj injured or not? I see posts claiming both sides. /lazy/

My first reaction is that Bruce seems to be relying on the attacking productivity of Johnson and Pulisic a great deal more than I prefer.

I give the roster a C/C-minus, even given the condition that any coach put in charge part-way through the WCQ process has their hands tied.

That said, Bruce can swing that grade two letters in either direction depending on who he starts, how he deploys his players, and how well they demonstrate an understanding of their roles.

I am more skeptical than psyched.

juveeer and CU soccer repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Lichaj came off injured in Nottingham's most recent match. Another injured player is Beasley, who missed the last Houston match, but I suspect that he is good to go if Arena called him up.

swedust repped this.
  5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I would prefer 4-1-4-1 as well, just don't see Bruce pulling the trigger on benching Jozy and the last thing I want to see is him up top alone again, so he and wood seems almost a sure thing.

I am not opposed to calling BF or SK and am surprised they are left off alltogether, I just meant they are not, never have been and never will be good enough specifically for the role of attacking CM to Bradleys defensive CM.

What is the alternative, keep providing him a bunch of cover, playing more DMs next to him, screwing up the whole team, ruining the spacing and balance, paralyzing the attack and dropping points? Why do we need to keep holding his hand, he is either our 6 or he isn't.

manq360, Geneva, rlrcpa and 1 other person repped this.
  6. ipass

ipass Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Puhleeease, can we never see that name in writing again within 300-billion light years of the UNMNT.

7. ipass

ipass Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree, but will take it further: Pulisic will start before anyone starts because he's the best player on the squad and might now be the best U.S. player thus far. Eventually, he will be.

jackiesdad, orcrist, Deep Wilcox and 4 others repped this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Wow, that looks familiar.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Except we got a lot slower at outside back. Which will probably kill us against these two teams.

CeltTexan, juveeer and FrankieRodgers repped this.
  10. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    This is my main issue. Along with calling Lletget over Sacha or even Benny.

swedust repped this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    He potentially could be a starter at left back. He'll never win a spot in the midfield.

juveeer repped this.
  12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It just depends on the tactics. You don't have to have speed as much if you're not using you backs for width as much.

Bajoro repped this.
  13. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Acosta potentially deserves to be starting right now with Jones suspended. Who would you play in MF ahead of him? Bradley and???

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Pulisic or Nagbe prob

With Bradley as the pure 6

15. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he still isn't being called up under Arena for matches that matter.

juveeer and CU soccer repped this.
  16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Good chance it's going to be this
    Jozy wood
    Pulisic
    Johnson Nagbe
    Bradley
    Vill brooks Cam orozco

ifsteve, Guinho and sXeWesley repped this.
  17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Although US fans generally have focused on Bradley and/or Jones as the problems, IMO striker play has been a big reason that 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1 formations haven't really worked for the US. The 1 in these formations has mostly, but not always, been Altidore.

Bobby Wood creates possibilities, IMO. He's the first American striker that is even remotely successful in a major European league in a 1-striker formation since the 1990s. If I remember correctly, Fulham generally played 2 striker formation with McBride, while Altidore at AZ was playing a 4-3-3, which is not comparable.

Altidore is still a starter for me in any 2 striker formation, however.

WrmBrnr and sXeWesley repped this.
  18. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Pulisic isn't an 8 and neither is Nagbe. I'd like to see Pulisic and Nagbe both start as well, I just think Acosta is in very good form currently.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  19. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Nagbe can be a dang good 8

But in this case it's an atracking mid and 6 together

20. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    He can be, potentially, but I don't think he is. He doesn't have the defensive bite. I'd play him more advanced or as an outside mid.

21. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I don't think you have to have that bite with a 6 behind him. You can defend with tactics and numbers

This also Honduras and panama - against a top team you prob go with three man mid with two dmids

22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't then. We'd get overrun by minnows if that's the lineup we play.

23. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Ugh. I have having trouble crafting a winning lineup. Forcing cameron to CB really reduces options for RB and DM.

CU soccer and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  24. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He's the best player in the team, he's played best on the wing and so he should play there for us. The rest of the lineup should have to be organized with respect to that locked starter.

sXeWesley and jackiesdad repped this.
  25. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Cool Hand Luke repped this.