Honduras and Panama, here's the roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Nope, just disagreed with the point you were making and offered evidence on why I thought you were wrong.

Why? Are you trolling?

WrmBrnr and Ironbound repped this.
  2. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Sounds about right.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm old enough to remember when Bruce said not to expect much roster turnover between Klinsmann's last camp and this one.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

In that case I suspect

------wood-----jozy
    -fab-----------------------puli
    -------Bradley +1

I don't think that is a wise idea but just putting the pieces of the puzzle together with what Bruce says and how he likes to play. It' ll be interesting to see if he understands Pulisic's development state any better than Klinsi.

5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Shocked no besler and no zusi. I'm ok with no zusi, but I think leaving besler off is a mistake.

Can understand leaving chandler off, but given the injuries at fullback that's still a little odd.

Bradley and nagbe in a 442 is a mistake. HopeBA sees that.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im discouraged. I was willing to give Arena a chance to turn around the disaster named Klinsmann and he hasnt done it. This is Klinsmann repackaged in a different body. Getting by the padding, what is different here? How can he expect a different result by repackaging the same old, same old? As long as Bradley is on the team we will have trouble on offense. He will take over the game and kill the attack. That is when he's not giving it away. I dont care who you put in front of him... he will kill that guys career.

Nagbe won't see the field.... Bedoya sucks and has sucked for a long time. He's a zero. Pulisic should start. Want to bet he doesnt? Orozco and Gonzales...Pleeeese and finally... my favorite, non scoring forward, Altadore. Where are the goals going to come from? Altadore/ Dempsey.... Wood.... Morris? 4 names, 2 positions. What will Arena do there?

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I agree. Given the lack of wide players, I think it indicates that Pulisic and Johnston will play out wide.

russ and swedust repped this.
  8. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I disagree a bit. JK had 5 years and right now is where he ended up. BA hasn't even worked with most of these players before. Going into must win, tough concacaf games, you can't make critical errors with inexperience, especially on the road. Just the way it is.

Look to the Gold Cup for experimentation with younger players. If he doesn't then, then we can get on him.

Wait until we see his tactics as well. He might just know how to get these guys working at their best. Putting FJ at LM no matter what is a good start.

jnielsen, ifsteve, HScoach13 and 5 others repped this.
  9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14 MLS players called to US national team for upcoming World Cup qualifiers

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...s-national-team-upcoming-world-cup-qualifiers

The roster will begin reporting to San Jose, California, on Sunday, ahead of the US's match against Honduras at Avaya Stadium on March 24 (10:30 pm ET | FS1, UniMás). The Americans will travel to Panama for another qualifier on March 28 (10 pm ET | beIN Sports). The US lost their first two Hexagonal matches, and currently sit in last in the final round of CONCACAF qualifying.

"We put together a roster that we think has balance and one that gives us an option in playing a number of different ways," Arena said in a statement released by US Soccer. "It's a roster where the primary rationale is to help us be successful in these two games, but we're also looking down the road and bringing in some young players that we think have an opportunity to be an important part of the national team program as well. Our approach to these games is simple: we want to win."

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its far more klinsmann than I expected, and I remember Bruce saying there wouldn't be much turnover, as the other poster said. Still, it feels Klinsmann to me. We obviously disagree

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know..my point was I think that would be our best lineup but they aren't there.

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-world-cup-qualifiers/?utm_term=.90d5f2d3314d

• Sacha Kljestan of the New York Red Bulls, whom many observers figured might start in central midfield, did not make the squad.
    • Tijuana’s Michael Orozco, FC Dallas’s Walker Zimmerman and Fulham’s Tim Ream are in the defensive corps, but D.C. United‘s Steve Birnbaum and Sporting Kansas City’s Matt Besler are not.
    • Sporting Kansas City’s Graham Zusi, a right-wing-turned-right-back with World Cup experience in midfield, was not included in the defensive or midfield corps.
    • Eintracht Frankfurt right back Timmy Chandler was excluded. (He would’ve missed the Honduras match because of a yellow-card suspension but could’ve suited up against Panama.)
    • With Yedlin and Lichaj sidelined and Chandler and Zusi not selected, Orozco is the apparent leading candidate to start at right back (if Arena plays with four in the back). Cameron, who is primarily a central figure, is also an option on the right side.
    • DaMarcus Beasley, who has played in World Cups since 2002, got the call ahead of Greg Garza to provide depth at left back. Jorge Villafaña was rewarded for an impressive winter camp and appears to be the front-runner to start at left back.
    • Dax McCarty of the Chicago Fire and Kellyn Acosta of FC Dallas beat out Hearts’ Perry Kitchen and Reading’s Danny Williams for defensive midfield slots.
    • Stuttgart’s Julian Green, Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber and Tijuana’s Paul Arriola were passed over in favor of the Los Angeles Galaxy’s Sebastian Lletget and Portland Timbers’ Darlington Nagbe.
    • Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Jermaine Jones made the squad, even though, like Chandler, he’ll have to sit out the Honduras match with yellow cards.

SamsArmySam and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
  14. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In general, the problem with Klinsmann wasn't his rosters. It was him.

15. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manneh is also an exclusion, Bruce was high on him during Camp Strudel.

16. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's with me?

----------------Wood------------------
    --FJ--------------------------Pulisic---
    ------------------------------------------
    -------Nagbe--------Bradley----------
    -------------Cameron------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    --Jorge----------------------Orozco---
    ----------Ream---Brooks--------------
    --------------Howard-------------------

[​IMG]

17. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike a lot of others, this selection makes me hopeful of a more dynamic attack, with Pulisic in the role that everyone had pegged for BF or SK, who were never good enough in the first place.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...-arena-christian-pulisic-usmnt-lineup-choices

Looks to me like:

----BW-----JA----
    FJ-------CP-----DN
    ---------MB----------
    JV---JAB--WZ?--GC

To which I would say F yeah and not at all Klinsmann like.

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Did FIFA grant Manneh his waiver yet? If not, then Manneh has to wait until December 2017 to become eligible.

Tom Collingsworth, COMtnGuy and Winoman repped this.
  19. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    UnitedBorn, sXeWesley, LouisZ and 2 others repped this.
  20. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm actually thinking this too

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I have similar thoughts, except disagreeing on Feilhaber and Kljestan. Before the squad announcement, my preference was the following front 6:

-----------------Wood-----------------
    Johnson--Kljestan--Nagbe--Pulisic
    ----------------Bradley----------------

I would have Feilhaber as a super sub, along with Dempsey, Altidore, Morris and more.

Arena's 23 clearly indicates that Altidore should be expected to start. Dempsey and Morris are clear bench options, but I think the midfield bench options are a little light on creativity, as I'm not sold on Lletget yet.

jaxonmills repped this.
  22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're hanging an already shaky DM in Bradley out to dry with this lineup.

scott47a repped this.
  23. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't understand what Bruce is going for with these defensive picks. Ream can be exploited for pace as we've seen numerous times, which is what Honduras and Panama offer. Bleh.

jnielsen, juveeer, swedust and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Bradley is the dm and with current roster it's not getting a lot stronger around him

I don't see going with 2 dms in qualifying

sXeWesley repped this.
  25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler being suspended and Yedlin's injury has put us in a tough spot.

Chandler could have been called in for the Panama game still...

Otherwise I think think the roster is fine.