Home-Grown Players

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Jahinho_Guerro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD's recently signed homegrown player, Ruben Luna, has just been called up to the Mexican U20 national team.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4145027

Personally I think he's going to be next year's breakout star in MLS.................we'll see. FCD certainly hasn't signed any forwards to replace Cunningham and Harris. Luna's gonna have to get playing time if the roster stays as it is.

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Re: MLS Home Grown Player Tracking / History

Has he made any 18-man squads yet?

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Any idea of how close to U.S. citizenship this kid is?

I saw him interviewed once and he was as american as applie pie.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of kids in the Dallas area (probably all over US) have grown up here but are not legal and have started to become legal late or have no way to do it. Political hot potato and the National Team is a by-product.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sad but very true.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm pretty sure he hasn't.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    That may be true but he is obviously legal as he is a professional soccer player.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, now. We don't know when that happened. And obtaining the right to work in the US (a la a P-1 visa) is a long way from citizenship.

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Well, if he was here illegally, he isn't eligible for a P-1.

Perhaps players in that situation with obtain P-1's anyway, but if they do, it's entirely possible that the USCIS will figure it out, throw them in jail, and then deport them. These are ugly times.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just in case nobody say it.........I loved Boomer's post in another thread regarding Ruben:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1641880&page=5

Yeah, I think the biggest story with Luna is simply that unlike Leyva, who was already a known commodity before joining the Mexican U17's...Luna is a Dallas kid through and through.

There's a great story about Luna and his dad coming to Pizza Hut Park one day as it was being built after they laid the grass down. Now the security at PHP was surprisingly lax(I went out there and played soccer on the field with a couple of buddies one night while it was being built) so Luna and his dad went down onto the field and said a prayer that one day Ruben would be playing on that field for FC Dallas.

Fast forward and here is a kid identified by FCD, developed by FCD, promoted to the first team and has been called up by his country. Fantastic story.

Now that is EXACTLY the kind of story that the homegrown player rule is supposed to be about.

As far as the Mexico thing goes.........it is what it is. Whether these kids play for the USMNT or not, they could be great additions to MLS. And that's the goal here.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    You can't apply for a P-1 from inside the US, for obvious reasons. So the kids applying go to their home country to do it in the first place.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Or they go to Canada, or wherever.

But this doesn't change the fact that if they had previously resided within the US illegally, they would not (in most cases) be eligible to receive a P-1.

13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Chicago Fire
    Aug-10 Victor Pineda, M

Chivas USA
    (* denotes some are debatable since they preceded the rule, but still spent in the clubs academy)

Jul-07 Jorge Flores, M *
    Mar-08 Gerson Mayen, M/D*
    May-09 Cesar Zamora, M
    Mar-10 Carlos Borja, D
    Aug-10 Bryan De La Fuente, M

Colorado Rapids
    Aug-10 David Armstrong, M

Columbus Crew - none

FC Dallas
    Sep-09 Bryan Leyva, M
    Jul-10 Fernandez Moises, D
    Jul-10 Victor Ulloa, D
    Jul-10 Ruben Luna, F
    Jan-11 Jonathan Top, F

DC United
    Sep-09 Bill Hamid, GK
    Aug-10 Conor Shanosky, M
    Mar-10 Andy Najar, M
    Dec-10 Ethan White, D

Houston Dynamo
    Feb-09 Tyler Deric, GK
    Mar-10 Navas Cobo, M
    Jan-11 Josue Soto, M
    Jan-11 Alex Dixon, F

Sporting Kansas City
    Aug-10 Jonathan Kempin, GK

LA Galaxy
    Nov-08 Tristan Bowen, F - traded to Chivas USA
    Jan-11 Jack McBean, F

New England Revolution
    Nov-10 Diego Fagundez, M/F

New York Red Bulls
    Sep-09 Giorgi Chirgadze, F
    Mar-10 Juan Agudelo, F
    Jan-11 Matt Kassel, M
    Jan-11 Sacir Hot, D

Philadelphia Union
    Dec-10 Zach Pfeffer, M

Portland Timbers - none

Real Salt Lake - none

San Jose Earthquakes - none

Seattle Sounders - none

Toronto FC
    Aug-10 Doneil Henry, D
    Sep-10 Nicholas Lindsay, F

Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nov-10 Phillippe Davies, D/M

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I'm sure if you wait long enough, Scaryice will get it up on Wikipedia

16. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Flores shouldn't count as a home grown. Don't even think it is debatable.

Kid won Sueno MLS 2007 on March 25, 2007. Then signed a contract July 25, 2007. And he made an appearance that season.

All this according to wiki

17. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. In no way was Flores a home grown player.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I believe you have to do it from the home country, but at any rate I suspect there's some winking and nodding going on with respect to formerly illegal aliens getting visas to play pro soccer.

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    A couple of counterexamples:
    • During the MLS draft, Nagbe was in Ottawa getting his P1.
    • Geovanni went to Tijuana last year to get his P1 the day before SJ played the Galaxy

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I find it rather odd that these clubs haven't signed some kids. MLS is giving them free roster slots. According to Top Drawer Soccer, Seattle has two of the top 7 "2011 recruits" in Palodichuk and DeAndre Yedlin. (remember that this is a college recruiting site). If you have a player in Palodichuk that's one of the top kids in his age group in the country (and many people other than TDS think he is also), why not sign him up on a homegrown deal? MLS is GIVING you a roster spot for it. Maybe the kid doesn't want to do it. I don't know. This site, at least, had him ranked ahead of Sean Cunningham.......who just signed with Molde in Norway.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/players-to-watch/players-to-watch-top-100/men/2011

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/play...ves/nid-19539/2011-Top-100-lists-final-update

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, now that MLS has 30-man rosters, I don't think there are any "bonus" spots for HG players.

That being said, with a 30 man roster there should be plenty of room for one or two regardless.

22. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    This is also the first year of the Sounders academy I believe....so maybe they didn't find a work around like Philly and they have to wait a little while to sign them. And as someone mentioned in YNT it might have to do with Nick being a former U17.

23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Looks like Sean Okoli might be the first from the Sounders. Also, Palodichuk is already enrolled at Duke.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/2617...tle-sounders-academy-not-your-normal-debutant

24. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what's the incentive to sign them before they're ready for first team minutes? Academy players can play in Reserve League games and friendliest, can train with the first team, can do pretty much everything rostered players can except for playing in a MLS. So why start paying them (and screw up theircollege eligibility) before you have to?

25. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Because if you've got a really talented player, word gets around fast and they'll get poached by a Mexican or European team for free because they have the resources to pay a kid who isn't going to play for them for awhile.