Home-Grown Players

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Jahinho_Guerro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Got it, thanks. So they must be on the list before they enter college and not added after they enter college. I guess it can be read that way. Wouldn't understand why an MLS team would not have a complete roster of potential eligibles and want to add someone after anyways. All players are eligible or they are not before college.
    Oh well. Thanks.

2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The idea is that the player has to be training on a certain academy team for a certain time prior to accepting a college offer. What it means is that a player can't be on some other club team, come over and play for a month with an MLS academy, accept a college offer, and then be able to be declared as a homegrown player. It is to stop teams from just grabbing a player right before he heads off to college to just get him in their homegrown system.

Kassel and White were both eligible for their respective teams before they entered college because they had been on their youth sides for a while. Dilly Duka though joined NYRB's academy only a few months prior to accepting a college offer. Because of that he wasn't allowed to be considered a homegrown player.

I think that by looking at it as a "list" is where you might be confusing the issue. There isn't really a list, per se. If a player is in your developmental system for a specific period of time and meets the criteria he is eligible to be signed at any point prior to his entering the draft. He doesn't have to be added to your list, he is just considered a homegrown player and the team has first right of refusal if they want to sign him. If they don't then they become draft eligible and any team can have them. This year for instance, if NY didn't take Kassel and MLS gave him a GA contract, he would have been available in the draft, despite being a homegrown player.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is a list, and there may not be a training requirement.

Here's how New York describes the current homegrown system:

"Players in the New York Red Bulls Academy will be added to the MLS home grown talent identification list. . . . Players who are on the list will benefit from the opportunity to be signed directly by the New York Red Bulls first team, as opposed to entering the MLS Draft where they could be selected by any MLS team. Set in place by the MLS in 2006, the rule is designed to provide increased opportunities for local players."

We know that there used to be strict requirements for who could be put on the list, including training with the team for a certain amount of time. However, no current MLS academy web sites list any of those requirements, and it's possible that they were completely eliminated or substantially rewritten when the rule was revamped. Right now, the only requirements New York lists are:

As of right now, all we officially know about the rule is that players need to get on the list prior to starting college or playing for the U17s.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    There has to be some sort of 'list' or registration card or something that documents when a player started training and how many training sessions over what period of time. If I'm a professional team I want to know all my 'homegrown' players are whether they are still in my academy, now in someone else's academy, in college, overseas. Easily accessible information in an sortable format has got to be available somewhere.
    So I got that point. I'm not really confused any longer. Your first point is exactly what I said, that anyone who is declared to be 'homegrown' meets requirements BEFORE he leaves for college not after. Now I really want to confuse everyone. What if college player comes back from college during breaks and trains and/or plays with academy or reserve team. What happens now?

5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Strange, I had never heard of this list thing in all the articles I had read on this over the past few years. Though considering how shrouded in mystery half this stuff is I guess I shouldn't be surprised I missed something.

6. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    there is no limit to hg signings.....

however i was thinking about how this may work.

Is it a case of you literally can sign as many as you want, or is it you can sign as many but it really means you can sign as much under the 30 man roster.

9. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there is no limit to the number of HG signings, however, there are a limited number of HG roster spots, as HG slots don't count against your cap. If memory serves me right, there are 4, if you exceed 4 then 1 of those players must be counted as a senior spot.

Has any of FCD's HG's cracked a starting lineup??

10. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a more hardcore fan might correct me, but the general consensus is that Luna will get a good bit of playing time next year. Their reserve squad will be interesting to watch with all the young guys they have.

11. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Schellas has gone on record, Luna will play a lot next year, may even being starting XI come start of the season.

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, this is what i was curious about. Good to see the team that's signed the most reserves actually start to play some. It'll be exciting to see how FCD moves on in the future. heck, it'll be exciting to see more and more academy kids shine in MLS.

13. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Leyva, Hernandez, Top and Ulloa have been playing for their Development Academy team this season too.

14. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do the '92s(Leyva, Hernandez, Ulloa) become ineligible to play for the U18s?

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '92s are eligible up through the end of the DAP season in the late spring/early summer.

16. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pineda was also playing for Fire's U18's

17. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luna and Leyva got time last year. Leyva I think got in one game and Luna got in 4 games.

18. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that makes 24 homegrown players for the MLS so far. good job.

Which ones have played significant minutes with their first team?

Andy Najar.
    Did Bowen with LA last season? Will he play a lot with Chivas this season?
    Seems like Luna will this season

SO which one have been playing regularly, and who do you see playing a lot with the first team this season?

19. The G.O.Z.

The G.O.Z. Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Mesquite,TX
    Bowen got a lot of playing time during the WC for Buddle/donovan

20. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Najar, Hamid, Agudelo, Bowen, Flores, Luna seems to be right on the edge.

21. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Chicago Fire
    Victor Pineda (Chicago)

DC United
    Bill Hamid (DC)
    Andy Najar (DC)
    Conor Shanosky (DC)
    Ethan White (DC)

Sporting Kansas City Wizards
    Jonathan Kempin (Kansas City)

New England Revolution
    Diego Fagundez (New England)

Toronto FC
    Doneil Henry (Toronto)
    Nicholas Lindsay (Toronto)

New York Red Bulls
    Juan Agudelo (New York)
    Giorgi Chirgadze (New York)

Colorado Rapids
    Davy Armstrong (Colorado)

FC Dallas
    Moises Hernandez (Dallas)
    Victor Ulloa (Dallas)
    Bryan Leyva (Dallas)
    Ruben Luna (Dallas)
    Jonathan Top (Dallas)

Houston Dynamo
    Tyler Deric (Houston)
    Francisco Navas Cobo (Houston)

Chivas USA
    Bryan de la Fuente (Chivas USA)
    Cesar Zamora (Chivas USA)

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tristan Bowen (Los Angeles/ now with Chivas USA)

Vancouver Whitecaps
    Philippe Davies (Vancouver)

Philadelphia Union
    Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia)

Order of most likely, but haven't: Seattle, Salt Lake, Columbus, San Jose, Portland

any others i missed

22. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    now with the new roster rules, i know home grown players are cap exempt, but will they continue to be roster exempt to, will they count towards the 30 man roster?

23. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more for Houston:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7387941.html

24. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why you don't have Gerson Mayen as a homegrown player with Chivas USA. All these players were signed as homegrown players just like Jorge Flores after completing 1 to 2 years in the academy. It shouldn't matter where players come from before joining a MLS academy; those players are still progressing once they join their developmental academy.

25. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

What?