Holland vs N. Ireland & Belarus - Euro qualifiers

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Final selection:

Doel: Marco Bizot (AZ), Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Kenneth Vermeer (Feyenoord).

Defensie: Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Aké (Bournemouth), Daley Blind (Ajax), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Joël Veltman (Ajax) en Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale).

Middenveld: Donny van de Beek (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (FC Barcelona), Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo), Kevin Strootman (Olympique Marseille) en Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool).

Aanval:
    Ryan Babel (Galatasaray), Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Steven Bergwijn (PSV), Memphis Depay (Olympique), Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Donyell Malen (PSV), Quincy Promes (Ajax)

[​IMG]

2. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    6 points and zero goals conceded
    100% Oranje

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  3. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Too bad Stengs doesn't get a very deserved call up. Memphis - Malen - Stengs would be dynamite I think. Babel will not be good enough for the Euro, IMO, better to prepare for our best possible team. Since Koeman is a big fan of the 4-2-3-1 I'd like to see this:

Malen
    Memphis - Stengs - Promes
    de Jong - Wijnaldum​

Or

Malen
    Memphis - Wijnaldum - Stengs
    de Jong - van de Beek
    Anyway, the second one with Promes over Stengs for this edition would be ideal, but we know Babel will keep starting.

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    De Jong, Van De Beek and Wijnaldum would be my preference in the midfield. Plenty of energy and attacking power. The forward-runs of Donny and Gini would split the defense, leaving open spaces for the front trio to operate. I don't believe De Roon would be much of a factor, and hence needed, against teams with clear intention to park the bus.

As to the attackers... based on the last matches, Depay and Babel seems to be certainty, leaving Promes, Bergwijn and Malen to fight off the last spot. I like Bergwijn as he's more tidy on the ball and can link up better. Both Promes and Malen, however, are more lethal and better finishers. So I guess it comes down to who's really on fire in the next week or so.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yup, perfect midfield for me as well. And deJong and Wijnaldum can both act as holding midfielders as well, so we dont really need deRoon except as a backup

6. Why do we have so many capable of playing central defender in the selection? I count 6 of them.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oranje has never had this many world class defenders. Whats ironic is that we've always been poor on defenders and always had great strikers, and now its the opposite, we suddenly have no Kluiverts, Ruud's or Bergkamp's.

Funny how that goes :unsure:

8. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did you guys watch Liverpool and Redbull Salzburg. The one thing that has always concerned me about wijnaldum has been his consistency. He has given some big performance for Liverpool and probably for NT as well but consistency wise he is still the same old gini wijnaldum. He plays week in and week out at liverpool, his performance fluctuates on and off. What do you expect from him in a tournament where the situation will be more or less the same .

Its unfortunate though he is the only experienced one right in NT otherwise there is still a lack of creativity in that department in NT and someone who can really connect with the forwards.

Looking at what happened in the Nations league final, I have to say with the current squad NT will find it going hard in knock out stages. By the end of group stages most big teams will know how to take on NT. I mean the only thing koeman has is a fixed starting 11 and hoping to tatically overcome the opposition if due weakness. If none then he will be shouting from the lines.

9. What I ment to bring up was why not dump one of them in favour of a real wingback.

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wijnaldum is a very important player for both Liverpool and Oranje as he is capable of playing many different roles and is extremely flexible and tactically astute to handle these changes.

On top of that he’s an incredible professional with outstanding work rate.

Liverpool are not the same when he does not play as players like Henderson and Milner are both quite average players in my opinion.

Gini is a different class above clearly.

11. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Koeman will not change much from the starting 11. It will be Cillessen-Dumfries Van Dijk, De Ligt, Blind - De Jong, Van De Beek, Wijnaldum - Depay, Babel, Malen. Need to beat N. Ireland b/c a tie is almost the same as a loss. 2-0 with Depay and Babel 1 goal each.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bookies are giving NI and Belarus almost no chance

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not over until it's over!!! Fatheads fall hard!!!

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I dont understand Koeman, why deRoon against weak opposition?? Now is the prefect time to start vdBeek for next 2 matches. Oh well, Koeman is getting results so I guess I shouldnt question him

richsavare repped this.
  16. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. It's a pretty weird lineup. Also, why bench Malen if he's in such lethal form? Fair enough he's an ok super sub option but definitely VdBeek should be starting ahead of De Roon.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  17. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Veltman?

18. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    van de Beek and Malen should be starting for sure. Babel and de Roon should not keep getting selected. It's the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' fallacy; the team is doing well but it could be doing better with some simple tweaks.

richsavare and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why did the 2 countries take the team picture together??

20. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Pitch seems pretty slippery. Pretty sloppy start. Babel can't control the ball under the press

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jeezus, what a messy game. No linkup play at all :(

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can see NI sneaking in a counter-attack goal if they're not careful

23. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. Unsurprisingly those two players have been awful so far. Great choice Koeman, Babel has been really good so far... touch of a brick wall.