Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerBiz

SoccerBiz Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard if it really was just "cuts and bruises" and he will be back soon?? Last time injury reports started this way...well...we all know. When Stu starts catching some breaks he's going to need to be crowned king to balance all this crap luck.

2. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a random tweet that said he went 90 in a closed doors friendly today, but I couldn't find any info confirming that so I didn't post it. I think he is fine though, we would have heard something by now if it was anything that would keep him out of action.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Per Facebook this morning:
    Bolton Wanderers Official
    Stuart Holden completed 90 minutes of a behind-closed-doors game at Euxton on Tuesday afternoon. Mark Davies also featured.

4. SoccerBiz

SoccerBiz Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is very encouraging to hear. I bet that the look of disgust people said he had after the tackle was aimed more at the tackle than the fear of injury. Stu has worked his tail off rehabbing from all of these injuries and he deserves an injury free remainder of his career, which starts with him not being the victim of rash tackles.

5. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Another match tonight:

Our development squad to face Bury in tonight's Manchester Senior Cup tie is as follows...

Wanderers: Lonergan, Threlkeld, McQuade, Mills, Wheater, Kamara, Wylde, Holden, Eaves, Gregus, Odelusi

Subs: Sievers, Blakeman, Sampson, Kellett, Dennis

Bury: Dibble, Melia, Roune, Sodje, Clarke, Holden, Carole, Dickinson, Healy, Yulu, Myler

Subs: Keane, Pratt, Thornton, Nasseri, Prickett

Kick-off 7pm at the County Ground.

Tom Collingsworth and WrmBrnr repped this.
  7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess is should be mentioned that Euan Holden is starting for Bury and Stuart Holden is starting for Bolton.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    FULL TIME: Our development squad containing Matt Mills, Stuart Holden, David Wheater and Medo Kamara win 1-0 against Bury thanks to an own goal. Report to follow.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get Holden back in form, get him back with USA please in the next month. I say its possible!

11. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Holden were Mexican and Chelis was the coach...yeah, maybe ( :rolleyes: ). He's not and he's not so....no, he won't be.

INKRO repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if he starts two games and performs well he should be in the camp. Same with Brekken.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs more than a couple games to be ready. Best to leave him at Bolton for the rest of the season and bring him in for the Gold Cup. That way we know how he is playing and if he can help us in the 2nd half of Qualification. No need to rush him and risk another injury. I mean, he hasn't played a full 90 min 1st team game yet. Chill.

I think he'll be ready for the Gold Cup and WCQ in the late summer/fall but that's just hope at this point rather than certainty.

chalaron repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize "he hasn't played a full 90 min. 1st team game yet." That is why the premise of my point required him to go 90 for two games. Failing to win in CR would place us in a desperate situation that there may be no digging out of. If Holden is performing at a high level and looks like the Holden of old, I think he deserves a call up.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think A) Two games is enough to get Holden back to his old self (if that is even possible) and B) The risk is far greater than the reward after only a couple games.

Would Bolton or the USA benefit tremendously from an in-form Stuart? Hell to the Yes power. Is that likely to happen by mid March? Nope. Not very likely. Let's see how he handles a regular schedule from now till May. If he is still healthy and actually any good (no guarantee...see Davies, Charlie) then we add him to the Gold Cup for his Reunion Tour and bring him into the 1st team fold after.

Neither the US or Bolton are in a desperate enough situation at present to rush things and potentially ruin Stuart for good.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I don't want him anywhere near this worthless gold cup. If it were for a conferations berth, then yes. As it is, take a summer off, get in shape, get that knee further along, and come back in 2013-14 firing on all cylinders.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This.

Not worth the risk.

18. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not worthless, it's for honor and glory and more importantly bragging rights!(and a cup made of pure 24 carat gold, I presume) The Confed Cup is nice but it is viewed as a step above a friendly by most of the world.

19. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    That is he bs we hear only when we do better than they want. Confed cup is also worthwhile for a trial run. This off year gold cup should be used mainly to blood newbies. Holden needs to stay healthy. Getting hurt in an off year gold cup could cost him millions in future earnings. Honestly, i think it would b shittay of jk to call him in nd make him decide

20. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want him to do whatever his doctors and trainers think will be best for his knee and his fitness generally. If that's to rest, great. If it's to follow a specialized offseason training routine, great. If it's to keep working out and building up strength by getting match fit at the Gold Cup, great.

21. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Dempsey surely would not agree with this.

22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then the rest of the world is stupid. It may not be as good as the European Championship, but since that is not an option for us, the Confederation Cup would offer (if we had qualified) the best level of competition in a quasi-serious format outside of the world cup finals. And you get to experience the host country conditions as well. It also has bragging rights and beats the heck out of what the Gold Cup offers.

As for Holden, I want to see some indication that he is anywhere near the player he was AND he can stay healthy. Until that happens, this discussion is a waste of time.

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden needs to
    1 regain match fitness
    2 regain his form prior to the injury

That's not going to happen in a couple games.
    Let's not screw this up by rushing him. Besides, Bolton should insist he not play in this year's worthless Gold Cup.

24. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Bolton is in no position to insist on anything. They are a middling second tier English football club. I assure you that the USMNT does not care one bit about Bolton. That said, I have no interest in having Holden play in the Gold Cup. This Gold Cup is meaningless except as a forum for unproved players to prove themselves worthy for the first team USMNT. Holden has proven his worth already. All he needs to do is regain form in the final two months of the Championship season and he'll immediately be called in with the full USMNT for World Cup qualifying. I expect that he will start Bolton's last ten games, regain full form and resume his role as a lock starter for the Nats in time for Match Day 4 on June 7.

25. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Well, I'm 100% sure Bolton would argue, and I'm sure Stu agrees some, that as the payor of his wages the last 2 seasons while he's been on the shelf, he owes it to them to try to remain healthy for I think his last year on contract with them. Additionally, he'd be stupid to jeopardize his next contract with yet another catastrophic injury.

I'm all for USMNT doing well, and it doing well is hugely important for the future of the game here. However, Stu playing in this goldcup has little to no bearing on the overall mens program. His taking part might actually take a spot from a player who can use it to develop.

A world cup is great, but it doesn't pay the bills when you're 45 and coaching a u14 team in hoboken on bad knees and stiff ankles. I don't envy the choices these guys have to make. Fortunately, I have little talent other than running my mouth and a calculator.

If I were the parent of one of these 18-21 or so kids trying to break in and establish with an overseas club, I'd caution them strongly against going to a USMNT camp too early. Any calls to the under mens teams would be met with a no thank you, but call when you're ready for a full cap. Too much at stake for these young kids careers and future earnings.

Editor In Chimp and (TxT) repped this.