Holden: FA Cup Spurs vs. Bolton 2/24 3:00 EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by m vann, Feb 23, 2010.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT.

despite the punishment of watching that game, the solace is Holden looked very......very good

2. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is going to find it very difficult to find playing time, the current players have the team in relegation zone, so it would be impossible to take over any spot, since they have been impressive. :)

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I am not saying he isnt better ( i think he is). He has to deal with Weise, Wilshere, Lee, Taylor, Muamba, maybe McCann and I am sure I am missing some. I dont think Coyle is just going to throw him in there. He has been the best player for Bolton today but I believe he will be getting sub minutes for a few games and depending on how he plays more time will come. Today for me helps his cause but wont force him in the starting 11 yet. I hope I am wrong.

4. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    There are a lot of positive comments about him on the one Bolton forum I know of.(the-wanderer.co.uk) They are disconsolate about the performance but see Holden as one of the only bright spots.

5. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i pulled my groan muscles

1 person likes this.
  6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of us are going to wake up with a lot of neg rep tomorrow.

2 people repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that sir was awesome, like i said i dont think itll happen again but it was fun while it lasted

1 person likes this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on this performance alone, Holden at least looked like a candidate to start on a mid-level Premier League team. And Bolton has looked far below that level this season. Very impressive for a debut especially from Stuart. Not that I'm surprised because he seemed to show no tentativeness in during his first real USMNT game also and he plays with such great energy. He's very mentally tough, possibly because of his first experience at Sunderland managed to motivate him.

Technically:

Offense- All the crosses were over the first defender but not beyond the last, and with some steam, so as always, he was an asset in that area. He reacted very quickly to the defense and thought ahead, resulting in maybe 1 or 2 turnovers all game. That's a pretty remarkable stat. Nearly had 2 assists so it wasn't because he was being passive with his passes. He ran off the ball quite a bit. My only issues offensively were he could run at the defense when given space instead of deferring to a teammate on a lateral pass, and sometimes he was too close to the player who possessed the ball. It's too bad that one shot was blocked because I think it was ticketed for the corner.

Defense- His work rate was outstanding. He reacted very quickly to balls in his area as a result. I think he could have anticipated better when he was in position to get some steals, and he allowed a dangerous cross from his size. But overall in this area Coyle should be pleased also.

I'd rate him about a 7.5 for this game. Arguably he was the best player on a bad Bolton squad.

9. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    That's the only decent one of the bunch.

10. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    not won?

11. salsa_caliente

salsa_caliente New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda disappointing to see Holden on this team. I don't see how Bolton can stay up if that's a typical performance from them.

Anyway, good game from Holden. He's a premiership quality player, it seems, on a championship team. I'd say that he was Bolton's best player--though you could also give that to Riga, I guess. Those were the only two players who looked like they cared on this team.

Did Taylor just walk off when it was supposed to be Gardner being subbed? Or did I miss something?

12. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can whine all you want, this thread was awesome to read. You can't get this type of intelligent enthusiasm anywhere else on US boards.

I concur. This thread was awesome. It will live on. Hopefully Holden works some magic to always remind us of his first YA gameday thread.

13. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow, he played ??!? There are only 200+ some posts. I thought he didn't play. Usually there are 300-400 posts if somebody makes his debut, and more than 500 if someone scores.

14. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fans on SkySports would agree with your assessment.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3247961,00.html

15. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yeah, it's kind of weird, isn't it? It's like this with Edu, too. There's just less general interest for some reason. I don't know what the dynamics behind it are, exactly, but it definitely exists.

16. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of your terms are debatable :D

You'll note I sort of participated early - I was just being curmudgeonly as people were grasping for ANY little word-play they could come up with. I'm all for a dynamite drop-in here or there. But this trend is like eating candy as your main diet. At first it's awesomely sweet - eventually your stomach turns on you.

17. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, poisitive summary, Duke. I thought, like you did, that a couple of times in the first half he had a bit of time and space and passed back instead of agressively. Good observation on the defense too - sometimes too close or pursuing too quickly. I too was disappointed he didn't at least have an assist (if not a goal) but I thought he did well for an EPL debut. I thought the Spurs really came out and played a very fast first half. I also liked Lee, another hustler like Stu.

18. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Midweek game as well.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
  20. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Oh, the humanity.

21. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think its weird at all. Midweek match for a bad team in a non-league game that was televised.

Televised + 200 posts
    Good team + 100 posts
    Star power + 100 posts

Stu lacks all of those right now. Donovan's matches are regularly on FSC or ESPN and his gameday threads get at least 600 posts (200 + 400 ;)).

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 200 posts is a lot for a crappy game.

23. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I didn't even think of that, but if that's what it takes...

24. Yanks Abroad

Yanks Abroad Member

Aug 30, 2009
  25. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It's over dude.

Regarding the post count - I'm sure the lame puns accounted for at least a 50 post drop.

I'm w/ HouseHead - I like a good (i.e. creative) pun as much as the next guy, but there was too much over reaching or just using the same pun over and over. It's already become tiresome in the thread titles. Doing it throughout a thread was just too much.