Holden: Bolton for Europe [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kjksccr, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    US soccer fans are so funny. We compared Jozy to Rooney and now Holden to Xavi and Iniesta.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It's also funny the typical "ZOMG no you didn't" posts, when in fact, nobody did. Happens all the time.

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Nice breakdown on Holden. Nevermind it is beyond some posters' comprehension that a comparison is not an equation. And especially nevermind the other posters who confuse a compliment to Holden as an attack on their favorite player.

4. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden's movement is just so exceptional. He would be an absolute superstar at a club like Manchester United or Arsenal because he would have so many more goals and assists. Just look at how he worked with a Chelsea player on loan today.

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If people remember back to the beginning of the season they will remember people saying Holden, Lee, and Muamba as the class in the midfield. I think Holden has separated himself from them.

I just wish his stats look better only to help other recognize how good he really is.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I agree he probably has. Bolton aren't a one-man team, but they wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they are this season without Holden's services, and his influence would be difficult to replace at a semi-reasonable cost; probably impossible from within Bolton's existing squad. He's been catalytic.

7. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if Holden has separated himself from Lee. Lee has just been gone for a while. The team definitely didn't play the same without him either.

Now, remember to read deeper. I wrote that I think Lee is still up there with Holden, but what I meant is that Holden is the most magnificent player to ever grace the pitch at Reebok Stadium.

8. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    ????

9. jukeboxromeo

jukeboxromeo Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    :D

As far as Bolton players in the past 15 years go, Okocha, Anelka and Djorkaeff were better. Campo and Hierro too weren't bad either. ;)

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tongue-in-cheek comment since a while back I said "Holden and Lee were the key to Bolton playing the style that has made them successful," but was criticized by some because they thought I was saying Holden was the entire reason Bolton are doing well. A lot of people have reading comprehension issues here on BS.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people have trouble expressing themselves in a coherent fashion on BS.

12. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I am not one of them.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Poor reading comprehension and incoherent expression are both hallmarks of BS, and BS just wouldn't be the same warm and welcoming place without them.

14. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you keep talking shit about my grandma, I'm gonna find a spoon with and then the herpesface to Mexico, IL because Bob Bradley's 4-4-2 coupons.:mad:

15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Of Holden's next 9 league games, 4 are against US midfielders' teams (Bradley, Spector, Dempsey, Jones), and 2 are against Man Utd and Arsenal. Good stuff.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think getting Lee back from the Asian Cup helps Bolton a great deal. When he and Stu were both out, they struggled.

Too bad Stu's goal didn't stand today, it should have.

17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did look like they struggled mightily without Stu rather than just without Lee.

They will need both of them fully healthy to win a Euro spot.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, they at least have a chance of making Europe. If they want to make Europe, they better pray that Birmingham doesn't beat Arsenal in the League Cup final.

Bolton aren't going to finish in the "automatic" Europa Leage spot of 5th. Chelsea's in 5th right now, 8 points ahead.

So Bolton are in a dogfight with Liverpool, Sunderland, and whoever gets hot from the Stoke/Newcastle/Blackburn group to finish 6th or 7th...........and then hope one of the top 4 also wins the cup competitions. That's why that League Cup final is critical for their European aspirations.

In a way, Bolton's best chance for success would be to win the FA Cup themselves :) Chelsea, ManU, Man City, and Arsenal are all still alive in that competition. With Bolton needing to win two matches against Premier League opposition in the next two rounds (Wigan & Fulham) to just reach the Quarterfinals.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactly

20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome post, I am all out of rep for you, but this is a great post.

21. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden once beat up Chuck Norris while scoring multiple goals against Man U by himself.

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure he then mentioned to SAF a few thoughts he had about tactics and lineup considerations.

Then Sir Alex asked Stu if he would mind taking the three teenage granddaughters out for an evening on the town.

Stu, quite graciously declined, saying his new gf, Lady Gaga, was in town and they had plans to go see the robot that Freddy Adu had created . . . .

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Any ideas for the next thread title for the white Xavi?

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Holden: Lightning Bolton
    Holden: Xavi-lite @ Bolton
    Holden: Channeling Xavi @ Bolton

Holden @ Bolton: The Wanderer
    Holden @ Bolton: The Wanderering Albatross {maybe not}

Holden @ Bolton: They call me the Wanderer

My choice, so far. I'll keep working on it.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xavi is pretty white.

[​IMG]

I think you'd have to go with The Pale Xavi if anything.