Holden: Bolton for Europe [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kjksccr, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Re: Holden at Bolton

Call me crazy, but I like this situation, ball is in Holdens court he is in control of his own fate. Either big up yourself and prove yourself or fail. What more motivation could you have?

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm really surprised it's only until the end of the season.

But I like this opportunity for him. Hope he seizes it. This should be fun.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on, so many puns to be made...I was Holden my breath for a new thread title, but I guess I'll be disappointed.

5. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about "Bolton Holden on Hope to Stay Up" or "Stuart Holden on to a Spot at Bolton" or "Holden Wander(er)s to the Prem"

6. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

I liked what someone said in the last thread: "Holden Bolton for Europe"

7. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Holden: Bolton for Europe

or "I liked my time in the MLS but I'm Bolton for England now" ... :D

9. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BeHOLDEN to Bolten.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

It's similar to Clark's move.

It gets him training/games at a high level in the run-up to the World Cup.

If the club likes him, they keep him. If not........Holden's free to look for work elsewhere.

It's a pretty good deal for both sides if you ask me.

11. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is a win-win for player and club. Holden gets a shot, but isn't tied down for the next two years to a club that might be going down.

Bolton gets a good look at a player they like and if things go well they can sign him up for longer.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Only if it comes with a good insurance policy.

13. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002

Neither of which, let's be honest, is a huge vote of confidence in their long-term viability.

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it is all about #'s .. getting enough players competing in good leagues abroad ...some will work out and many will not ... two more competing - and whom will compete for WC roster slots and playing time - cannot do anything but help the US .... there is nothing guaranteed in professional sports .. if they play very very well and stay healthy then these chances will pan out for them professionally and financially .. if not - well they tried. There are no guarantees (except death, war and taxes).

15. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. Selfless move by Holden, IMO.

I would have taken a multi-year deal somewhere else, personally. Also it doesn't sound as if Bolton was too sold on him.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Two players who are going over to first divisions on free's without the benefit of a WC?

I think its about whats to be expected. Clubs arent going to want to sign multi-year deals on guys who are coming from MLS and unproven in European Big 4 1st division football. They just dont have the name or the resume to get a garunteed multi-year deal.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Fringe" NBA players have these decisions to make all the time too, and many go the same route. The issue is wether you are willing to take a gamble on yourself. In particular number of European guys coming over are actually taking substantial paycuts in order to play in the NBA, because if they succeed in the NBA, the status and money at the top is just way better.

If either guy succeeds, he will recieve a much bigger payday long term, due to the overall raising of his profile/asking price.

And both players get to double dip this year. If their club moves dont work out.. bam, world cup to showcase their wares.

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007

Well Bolton hosts Burnley tomorrow in a Premier League match, but it should be safe to assume Holden wouldn't be participating anyways.

Bolton then visit Liverpool on Saturday.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

This is bad news for MLS - if these mid-winter deals turn into these short-term trials, you'll have a lot of players pushing to leave during the summer break.

20. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta

Are we sure Clark and Holden's deals aren't more to the benefit of them? Holden is in a situation now where he could have a good WC and go for a lot more money to a better team. This is a contract for someone who is confident. If you don't think you are going to be good, you try to sucker some low table team into a long term deal so that you have guaranteed money when you disappoint.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I don't follow you. How would a player leave in mid-season to go to Europe for six months without a transfer fee, which wouldn't be big enough for MLS to accept if it were only for six months?

22. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the Weiss loan had a lot to do with it. Simple issue of how much money there is. Weiss is proven and likely not that cheap a salary (though it could be because he came out of City's youth system). I do think Holden is much more of a two player than Weiss. If he makes himself more of a utility player than Weiss that could help him.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holden is a free agent and the door was open for him to leave. He hasn't been an MLS player since November.

It will be much harder for a player to leave in midseason.. they are all under contract at that point.

Midseason players under contract are not in the same boat as free agent. Can't even compare them.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

There won't be any transfer fees involved.

There will be more Yura Movsysians and Chris Rolfes.

This will all go down the pyramid.

Some players will push to have a buy-out clause; others will throw a tiff to be sold a la Monsieur Soumaré; others yet will sign pre-contracts like Chris and Yura; others will skip MLS entirely and head out to Europe like Tracy and Bedoya.

MLS-players relationship isn't on a solid footing to begin with and this "4-month" contract development isn't going to help.

25. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really don't like this move. I like the move to Bolton for the most part, but Holden is basically going to be in the same situation as a loanee. The club has no long-term investment in him. He will at best be a squad player, barring a spate of injuries. And come May, supposing Bolton doesn't like him, what then? His profile will be lower than it is now, having come off a successful MLS season and successful USMNT qualifying campaign. Chances are he won't get a lot of time in South Africa (once again barring injury).

Hopefully he can make an impact in the next few months.