Hitting drills

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by tuffnut11, Jun 15, 2014.

1. tuffnut11

tuffnut11 Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ok so I was at my daughter rec U8 soccer game. There was a match next ours. While both fields were doing their warm ups I walked over to talk to some of the parents on the other pitch. As I was doing this I saw a team of U8 Girls in two lines across from each other about 20 feet apart. Neither side had a ball and then the coach yelled something and two of the girls ran up and hit each other and went back to their spot. He continue to call out commands and the next set of girls went. My question is, is this something that a coach is supposed to teach 7 year olds? Is this something that is normally done as a warm up before a game? I'm new to soccer my daughter plays U7 and will be U8 in the fall. I was really taken back seeing this kind of behavior. Now I know there is shoving and "hitting" on the field and I'm sure there is a time and place or age to teach this but are 7 year olds the age to teach that?

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The coach has no clue about anything.

Maybe he saw a couple of collisions in a game, and wanted them to get used to the contact.

Maybe if he taught them how to tackle the ball right. There would not need to be those collisions in a game.

What he is actually doing is puting your girls in danger of injury and his girls as well.

Who ever runs their program should let that no nothing bozo go.