History: Soccer in DR, Nicaragua, PR?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by MetroChile, May 14, 2006.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That dominican goalkeeper Oscar Junior Mejia plays as far as I know with Angel Farpo in El Salvador

He s been playing with the MNT since he was 16 or 17

I have been 20 or 25 times in Haiti and I have never heard about baseball over there

The french (read Napoleon) were kicked out of Haiti before the first of januari 1804 and I doubt it very much that they already had soccer schools at that time

But what I guess it that more or less 100 years later some french Jesuits introduced the game

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, what I meant was that the French influence was left there, and European influences are what brought soccer over to America.
    I never said, or nearly implied that Napoleon himself organized kick abouts or soccer academies..if you would like to double-check, scroll up and read my posts.

------
    What I was trying to note was that it is interesting how two countries that share the same island have such different "sporting" ideals; and, of course, as someone pointed out they're very different cultures.
    Metro

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    no of course Napoleon never organised soccer camps in Haiti, I just wanted to state that the french occupation (1697 - 1804) had nothing to do with soccer in haiti

I have read in a haitian soccer mag that soccer was introduced by some french jesuits and businessmen

the first game was played around 1905

but I have absolutely no idea why dominicans picked up baseball during the US occupation (1916 - 1924) and haitians not during the US occupation in their country (1915 - 1934)

then again, these 2 neighbour countries are totally different, not only in sports but as well in skin colour of the people, standard of living, religion, music, etc...

4. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Another new development from PR CHelsea is sending two of its lower div player to play in the islanders or train with them i dont remember, and that the islander board is seriously looking on partisipating in the CCC.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    But is this official? There has been talk about this for a while now. I don't know if the island is big enough for two soccer clubs jaja.

6. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I think the island could handle up to 3 soccer clubs, one in the metropolitan area (Islanders), one in the south (looking to be the future home of the RPPR) and one in the west.

Its not official yet last that was heard was that they are talking with the goverment of Ponce to let them use the Paquito Montaniel Stadium a 15k seat multyporpouse stadium, Which RPPR says its dilling with this couple of weeks and after that they will send a formal petition to the USL so they could become official.

7. DominicanStrikeForce

May 1, 2005
    Canada
    Dominican football info, FYI. There is a well established "pro" league in the DR. Liga Mayor. It works just like any other with a 1st div. and a 2nd div. Bottom 3 teams in 1st div. are relegated to 2nd div and top 3 teams in 2nd are promoted. The league contains most of the DR's national team exept for the Espinal bros. who play pro ball in Italy. Also, FC Pantoja is comprised of mostly Haitian players. Season starts every September. The DR has recently made a coaching change on the mnt side. The change was apperently made because of lack of results but is a possitive sign along with recent funding for football from FIFA.

8. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

People from Dominican Republic and Dominica are both known as Dominicans, but there is a difference in the stress of the word, and they are pronounced differently.

From Dominican Republic, say Do-MI-ni-can
    From Dominica, say Do-mi-NEE-can

Couldn't resist this piece of trivia :D

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I don't know about that. It's a pretty small island and I just don't see there being that much support in places that are not the metro area.

10. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    yes Mario acevedo who plays fo Antigua... not to be confused with Mario Acevedo guatemalan-garifuna on Muinicpal and the Guatemalan national team and a Nt legend

11. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Ok Rochester has a little bit more than 200k population, Ponce has almost that amount to and its in the south, the west is the second most populated area on the island with about half a million people, I think and anybody on the island knows that from anywhere in the west you can get to Mayaguez in 30min-1hr. So i dont see three teams as to far off.

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well today is a gim day Chelsea from england just took the Islander's DT Alvial as their new Recruter in America, he will be missed.

13. panchostein

panchostein Member

May 30, 2006
    Miami,Florida
    one guy name webster that played in costa rican and honduran league's. i knew about a couple guys that played in costa rica but they were from the atlantic coast of nicaragua and their last name's are english .for information nicaragua had the pitcher with more wins for a latin player in the MLB(major league) beside the only latin pitcher to pitch a perfect game at MLB. my opinion is that baseball was push hard for the USA a the beginning of the last century and soccer never had a chance to grow.

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Do you have a link for this, mate? :)
    Metro

15. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
  16. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Also, in the mexican league not long ago there was this player called RObert Forbes whose parents were from Nicaragua and who played for Mexico at u21 nd u23 levels. he played for toluca and i haven't heard from that player since. At some point i thought nicaragua would be interested in calling him but nothing happened since then.

17. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    If he played for Mexico in the u21 and u23 he cant play for Nicaragua.

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I did some research in that, and I think he would be able to.
    If one played for a country at youth level, then that player has the chance to change "nationalities" perse at adult level.
    But maybe, you're right, because I read that only upto u18 NT level is one allowed to switch allegiances. Yet, I really think it said any youth level.
    Metro

19. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    O yeah this news came out the other day in the PR federation website and a local news paper. This is great for PRican soccer we can get some good players out of this in the long run.

To create school in the island, Valencia and Villareal

San Juan - Like part to increase the liking of soccer in Puerto Rico, the Spanish clubs of Valencia and Villarreal, they propose to create the first specialized school of soccer in the Island which will construct in the seat of the local club Vega Baja Fénix.

In agreement with Uruguayan Pablo Clucci and architect of the company NEON Design & Build, Corp. the project will have an approximated cost of $10 million in which a school will be constructed from Kinder to 12 grade and which will have housing for 1.000 students who they hope that are to registered in the institution.

“The school will be constructed where Fénix club is located. Which is next to the old Tortuguero complex and military base”, stated Clucci.

“We want to make a stadium with an approximated capacity of 18.000 fanatics”.

Between the facilities that the project will have, is exclusively a athletic track for the players. Also, it will have 500 parking spots. Meanwhile, within the stadium, three floors will be constructed, which will be divided between a press room, restaurants and concessionaires.

Clucci, on the other hand, added that due to the amount of foreign citizens who live in the North area of the Island, in special Vega Baja, this has been one of the reasons for which soccer in this region has increased its level. “We have realized that soccer in that area has been increasing in the years. And for such reason, we want to make this idea.”

“Also, the support that is giving by the fans of the Puerto Rico Islanders, is incredible. The clubs of outside are seeing that and it motivates them”. Both Spanish clubs have their own investors interested in constructing the school. From the Valencia, company CK Colork would be the company of greater investment for the institution, whereas Pamesa would be the representative of the Villarreal. Both companies are dedicated to the ceramics modalities.

The Puerto Rican Noel Soler would be the direct representation fin Puerto Rico for both clubs and promoter from the Island to Spain.

The Fénix club participates in Liga Premier in Puerto Rico.

The Valencia club was founded on the 1919. It has gained three UEFA Cups and two Super Cups of Europe. On the other hand, the Villarreal club, was founded on the 1923.

20. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    This is some very good news. Even though I just read about the Chelsea thing. Fuk Chelsea.

21. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I know stupid russian millioner think he could buy evrything he likes!

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

in this so called pro league the best players make 8000 pesos (or 250 us) a month, but a lot of them play just for the honour

but i agree, the level of play is pretty high

most of the haitians are very good as well

23. Culé...

Culé... New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    yep... another reason to hate the Chelsea scum. bleh!

this new coach was part of the reason why they had such reat start of the season.

yes Mou... I still hate you!

24. WarChant

WarChant New Member

Jun 2, 2006

You hit it on the head “divide and conquer”, but that is a deeper political issue we do not need to touch. Those who know the History of the Island and know the Dominican and Haitian cultures will tell you they are mostly one of the same. Both have a Tiano, African Hispanic-Franco American back round. Haiti more so then DR will always be punished for the threat they had once posed to the world powers. Just ask a Ecuadorian, Colombian, Dominicans or Venezuelan the argents of their flags and then the truth you will find.

Until the 1960’s Haitian have always view baseball as a sign of American imperialism.

The bigger question is “Why are people of Haitian argents and imagrants with French last names bared from the special baseball clinics in DR?” Maybe MLB should look deeper in that matter.

Don’t let those Haitian and Dominican people fool you. Just as you have White Haitians, you have White Dominicans, Mulattos on both side, Africans, Arab business men ext. This different culture this is a lie to divide their masses. Both their medias have always given both sides reason to fear each other and they believe cause they want to hate each other.

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    i ve been living in the dom rep since 93, have been in Haiti more thatn25 times and i can only repeat that the 2 neighbour countries have very different cultures

Dom Rep stands for merengue, baseball, mulattos (75%), turism, catholicism, higher standard of living, political stability, spanish language etc...

Haiti stands for musique antillaise, soccer, blacks (95%), voodou, poorest country of the new world, political unrest and coups d etat, creole language etc...

one could compare the Dom Rep to a poorer version of Puerto Rico and Haiti to Togo o Burkina Faso (that s really different to me)

most Dominicans do not even like Haitians because of the occupation of their country (by the haitians) between 1822 and 1844

nevertheless i believe that the 2 countries should work to improve the bilateral relations

it is not because you are different that you cannot live and work together