History of Charleston Battery?

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Whitecaps10, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a recent fan of the Battery, I would like to know some of the history of the team. The Wikipedia article has only a small picture and probably isn't too accurate

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, I would love to have a bit more info on the history, or at least have it in one central site. I have been a fan since 1997 and one day I will find the time to put together a website, including jersey from each year, notable player achievements (MVP, Rookie of the year) maybe even a highlight reel for each year.

if you go to the Battery website, they have match results from the last 20 years. they also have a player registry of all the players who have played for the Battery.

Is there a particular part of the history you want to know about?

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  3. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been curious about the division titles the Battery have won throught the years. Thank you for the leads on the Battery website.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have won 3 division championships
    in 1996 they won teh USISL pro league championship in a 3-2 win over Charlotte
    in 2003 they won the A-league as they defeated the Minnesota thunder 3-0
    and in 2010 they won the USL Second division title in a 2-1 win over Richmond

this website is pretty good history of all soccer in the US and Cananda
    http://homepages.sover.net/~spectrum/

5. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the imformation. I've become a fan of the Battery because I'm a huge fan of lower league teams. I strated suporting the Whitecaps in 2010 when they were still in the 2nd division and it was a blast being able to catch every match and catching the excitement. Now that the Caps are in MLS it's very hard to catch games online. Being a fan of the Battery, it feels like supporting a team I can identify with just like the Whitecaps.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ever get to Charleston let us know we'll make sure you get the royal treatment.

Whitecaps10 and brentgoulet repped this.
  7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    that is the true spirit !

8. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I might be able to take a vacation to Charleston next summer. If I do, I'll make sure to time it with a Battery match.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charleston is a great city. plenty to do and experience. We have quite a few fans that come down during the Carolina Challenge Cup the Battery hosts each year, so I have gotten to know hotels, beach house rental rates, restaurants and some hidden gems around town. I'll be happy to help you out there too.

The pub at the stadium is worth the trip in itself for a soccer fan.

10. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the best places to visit in the city? I've always wanted to visit Fort Sumter as I really like to study American history and I heard the Battery section of Charleston is really nice, but I don't know much else about the city.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston has a rich history, including the colonial, Pirate age, Revolutionary War and Civila war all the way up to today.

You can hardly walk through town without reference to something historical.

Chalreston was also a religious refuge so there are several old churches and religion temples downtown, hence the cities nick name the "Holy City" There is a law that no building should be higher than the church steeples so when you look at the skyline you see steeples above the buildings.

Some good places to check out for history are
    Charles Town Landing all about Charleston's history

The Old Provost Dungeon - lots of famous prisoners and there is a famous seen from movie "the Patriot " is recreated where the Gadsden flag (the Don't Tread on Me flag) is raised Chris Gadsden was a Charleston resident, designed the flag and was a member of the Sons of Liberty

the old Market now local artist and others flog there wares there daily but it used to be where the slaves would come to buy produce and meats.

Carriage Ride good place to start a trip off as it highlights several key buildings and events and you can always go back and check them out later in your trip.

Several plantations with great info on the Slave era.

There are also a couple museums with tons of history as well as nearly ever building in downtown is historically listed

you also Ft. Sumter and Ft. Moultire (from the movie Glory) the powder room, the Old Jail, some historic homes, and Patriots Point, with the USS Yorktown and a couple other ships you can spend the day on.

Outside of hsitory you have the Beaches, museums, great food, shopping, golf, kayaking, boating, fishing, shrimping, kite boarding, surfing .

I think I could find something to do everyday of the week for a couple months and not repeat the activities.

Here is a link to the Charleston Visitor Center. Its a good place to start planning.
    http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  12. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is so many things to do, it would take a long time to see every part of the city. It will be hard to decide to what to see in such a short time.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your limited by time, I would suggest a carriage ride to start with. Will show you several historic parts of downtown. Then a tour of Ft. Sumter. the boat ride out is about and hour or so each way and you spend about an hour on the island.

Have a meal at a good restaurant downtown, then talk a walk to the provost dungeon and then down to the Battery.

If you hae more than a day, hit up the Charleston Museum and try to visit a plantation.

14. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston is supposed to have some of the best restaurants in the country, which restaurants are your favorites?

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't eaten at them but my favorites are

Cypress,
    Magnolia's
    Hanks (seafood)
    Oak Steak house
    Charleston Grill
    Boathouse
    Husk (if you can get a reservations... was vote best new restaurant in the US for 2011)
    Justine's
    Poogan's Porch

You got to have BBQ somewhere and their are a ton of affordable place to eat seafood.

My wife and I try to hit one of the nicer places every 6-8 weeks. sometimes we will go for lunch instead of dinner as it is typically cheaper menus albeit smaller portions

man now Im hungry!

16. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the thought of seafood makes me hungry. Suprisingly for being on Long Island, I've only been to a few good seafood restaurants, most are ok to very bad.

17. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great match yesterday, I recruited 2 new fans for the team yesterday, my dad, who went to the University of South Carolina and is a big fan of the state, and my friend from high school who was supporting the Rhinos in the match, but was really impressed with the Battery's play yesterday.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  18. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Battery now have a 4th championship. The team has championships for the 1996, 2003, 2010, and 2012 seasons

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 in 20, 3 in 10, 2 in 3! sounds like the start of a new chant to me!

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  20. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Battery selling championship t-shirts?

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet but I know they were discussing it during the celebration up in the pub. They were talking about the best way to put the fourth start above the crest

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will ask Jason on Thursday, if he has come up with anything yet. He does all of their graphic designing.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  23. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will there be a new kit for next year? Having 4 stars will take up a lot of space on the top of the crest.

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard if they are going to do a new jersey or just a new crest.

they introduced the current kit this season (and I am a big fan of it) and accroding to the sponsor FB updates, it sounds like they are pretty happy to continue.

I guess most of it depends on whether Umbro continues the kit and they are available to the club!

25. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season's kit is well designed and it is the favorite kit I own. I don't know most of the previous designs the Battery have worn, but this has to be up there.