Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. victorcalello38

Feb 28, 2017
    Club:
    Montevideo Wanderers FC
    For me, Suarez was the best player of the season at the club level, however the fact that he did not participate in the Copa América ends up leaning for Lionel Messi.

Perú FC and AD78 repped this.
  2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Should we talk about the competition in this tournament? I know you can only face what's ahead of you and all, but Panama, Bolivia and Venezuela are just pub level teams. We have all witnessed Panama at the WC18 and Bolivia/Venezuela have similar rankings to them at that time.

USA might have been decent, but looks like they are on their way down.

The only tough game Argentina had didn't turn out that well once again.

Perú FC repped this.
  3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Good list.

My own first draft had been:

Bale, Buffon, Godin, Griezmann, Higuain, Ibrahimovic, Kane, Kante, Lewandowski, Mahrez, Messi, Mkhitaryan, Modric, Muller, Neymar, Oblak, Payet, Pepe, Pogba, Ronaldo, Suarez, Vardy, Vidal

So you had Aubameyang, Iniesta and Ozil, I had Kane, Oblak and Pepe.

Kane and Vardy were the two I was least sure about.

I had Messi as number 1 again overall. Higuaín a contender for the top 3.

schwuppe and Perú FC repped this.
  4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Dybala maybe? Just putting his name out there, there are already 2 Juventus players on the list though.

5. Titanlux

Titanlux New Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    In my previous ranking, 20 of the 23 players that you place in your top 23 match. I had De Bruyne, Agüero and Alexis Sánchez in this ranking, but I did not have Vardy, Vidal and Mkhyrtayan.
    Regarding the Top 23, although I've always liked Messi much more than Cristiano Ronaldo, in 2016, Cristiano Ronaldo won practically all the individual trophies, which, perhaps objectively, the Portuguese would deserve the first place, ahead of Messi, with Suárez in third place, although his campaign was sensational.

Perú FC repped this.
  6. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I had a serious dilemma with Pepe, he really had a great season at all levels and I just picked one central defender (it has not been a balanced list in terms of position).

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Potential candidate for me, although I think he's a more serious candidate in the list that comes (2017). I think Buffon and Pogba were the strongest candidates of Juventus and Dybala would be the next followed by Bonucci.

8. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    btw if you're talking about 2017, do you mean the 2016/17 season or are you trying to split stuff up in calendar years?

9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    No, everything referring to at the club level is about the period of the season.