Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Interesting choice for defender Alberto Cuello.
    Maybe I'd pick someone of the Independiente attacking right side (Porta or Sastre) instead.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  2. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Avar, István (Ujpest, Hungary)
    Bastin, Cliff (Arsenal England)
    Brook, Eric (Manchester City, England)
    Combi, Gianpiero (Juventus, Italy)
    Dean, Dixie (Everton, England)
    Ferrari, Giovanni (Juventus , Italy)
    Garcia, Diego (San Lorenzo)
    Hapgood, Eddie (Arsenal, England)
    James, Alex (Arsenal)
    Macfadyen, Willie (Motherwell, Scotland)
    Meazza, Giuseppe (Internazionale, Italy)
    Monti, Luis (Juventus, Italy)
    Nausch, Walter (FK Austria, Austria)
    Nilo (Botafogo)
    Orsi, Raimundo (Juventus, Italy)
    Pellicciari, Romeu (Palestra Italia)
    Plánička, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Puč, Antonín (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Quincoces, Jacinto (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Schiavio, Angelo (Bologna, Italy)
    Sindelar, Matthias (FK Austria, Austria)
    Varallo, Francisco (Boca Junior, Argentina)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Real Madrid, Spain)

Honorable Mention: Franz Binder, Karl Rainer, Felice Borel, Virginio Rosetta, Luigi Bertolini, Umberto Caligaris, Dai Astley, Warney Cresswell, Jimmy Gibson, Joe Hulme, Bob McPhail, Roberto Cherro, Waldemar de Brito

By Country: Italy (6), England (4), Argentina (2), Austria (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (2), Scotland (2), Rio de Janreio (1), Sao Paulo (1)

By League: Italy (6), England (5), Argentina (2), Austria (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (2), Scotland (1), Rio de Janreio (1), Sao Paulo (1)

Wales won the home championship and England had middling results. They were better touring Europe, including a 1-1 draw with Italy in Rome, the only blemish on Italy's otherwise perfect international year. James returned for Arsenal and they again won the league in high scoring fashion, with the amazing young winger Cliff Bastin scoring 33 goals in 43 games. In the FA Cup Dixie Dean led Everton to the title, but the star of the competition was Man City's Eric Brook. He and Bastin, England's two immensely talented young wingers, both opened their accounts for England as well.

Again Italy had an amazing year going 6-1-0, and again they were formed around Juventus's core of players, who won the Italian League in dominating fashion. Austria suffered a setback in results in 1933, but their star Sindelar delivered an amazing performance at the club level, winning the Mitropa Cup at the expense of Meazza (who was also excellent) and Inter.

In South America an extensive Rio - Sao Paulo tournament was played and won by the all conquering Palestra Italia side that also won the Paulista, humiliating many of their closest rivals. A new top player emerged in Argentina as Diego Garcia led San Lorenzo to the title. He and Francisco Varallo spent most of their careers as the bets players in Argeninta at a time when no major internal tournaments were available to prove themselves.

Sindelar is in the top three for sure because of the Mitropa Cup performance, where he took out Slavia, Juventus, and Inter with amazing preformances. Plenty of details on that in another thread I started. The other two spots could have gone a number of ways. I chose Bastin over James, which might be controversial to some but his goalscoring numbers are out of this world and he was strong for England, scoring their only goal in Rome among other things. I needed an Italian rep, and likely one from Juventus as well, although Meazza was very tempting with his excellent Mitropa Cup prefromance. I settled on Monti but I could be convinced of Orsi. Monti's addition to the national team seemed to push them to another level, as with Juventus who now won the league with no rivals in sight.

Perú FC, AD78 and comme repped this.
  3. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Completely agree re Monti and Andrade, the World Cup was obviously not anywhere near full strength but you still had two of the top 5/6 sides in the world who had been in the Olympic final two years before.
    I agree with this, fair enought the World Cup was not anywhere near whatit would become but it was on par with the Olympics and had two of the top 5/6 teams in it with Uruguay and Argentina, plus also Brazil there too.

Given the importance of internationals then also I would probably expected to see Monti and Stabile in the top ten along with three of four Uruguayans to (namely Nasazzi, Cea, Castro and probaly Andrade).

4. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great top three, completely agree with these, howver I would expect Svoboda to definitely have made the top 23 if not higher.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would have potentially expected Pongo Waring to have been in the top 3 for this year and arguably number 1. Meant to have been a remarkable player as well as a prodigious goal scorer.

Tom Stevens and AD78 repped this.
  6. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I definitely considered him along with Gschweidl, but this is one of the toughest top threes to get into. Who would you put him in for? Do you think he would have gotten the British vote at Jame's expense?

7. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am assuming this is based on his Mitropa Cup perfromance, as he only scored 8 league goals and 1 goal for the Czechs that year.

8. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, good point, my research was by club season and double checking his two goals versus Italy were in 31-32 season but actually in 1931 calendar year. However the Mitropa Cup performance would give him a shout for the 23 for 1932.

9. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Allemandi, Luigi (Internazionale, Italy)
    Bican, Josef (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Caceres, Delfin Benitez (Boca Junior, Argentina)
    Ferrari, Giovanni (Juventus , Italy)
    Lángara, Isidro (Oviedo, Spain)
    Monti, Luis (Juventus, Italy)
    Monzeglio, Eraldo (Bologna, Italy)
    Nejedlý, Oldřich (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Orsi, Raimundo (Juventus, Italy)
    Plánička, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Puč, Antonín (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Quincoces, Jacinto (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Sárosi, György (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Sastre, Antonio (Independiente, Argentina)
    Schiavio, Angelo (Bologna, Italy)
    Szepan, Fritz (Schalke, Germany)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Zischek, Karl (Wacker Vienna, Austria)

Honorable Mention: Adolf Vogl, Jiří Sobotka, Josef Košťálek, Geza Toldi, Gianpiero Combi, Francisco Fedullo, Enrique Guaita, Luigi Bertolini, Fred Tilson, Dai Astley, Edmund Conen, Ernst Lehner, Beb Bakhuys, Kick Smit, Francisco Varallo, Roberto Cherro, Ernesto Lazzatti, Leonidas, Anibal Ciocca

By Country: Italy (7), England (3), Spain (3), Austria (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Argentina (1), Germany (1), Paraguay (1), Hungary (1)

By League: Italy (7), England (3), Spain (3), Austria (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Argentina (2), Germany (1), Hungary (1)

Wales won the home championship, but in a World Cup year I could not fit any Welsh players into the 23. Arsenal won the title again, this time with a far more defensive approach as Alex James was again injured. Internationally England went on a very challenging pre World Cup tour, playing in Prague and Budapest, both games they lost 2-1. The big news was the match with Italy after the World Cup final in London, I violent match which the English won. After an early offensive blitz England barely held on the to victory after a second half surge from the 10 men Italian team. Brook was the star for England throughout the year and in the match with Italy, where he scored twice.

On the continent the World Cup was fully attended, and continental teams had now established themselves as equal to the British. No South American countries brought A teams to the tournament. Italy won the tournament at home under dubious or lucky circumstances depending on your point of view. They were afforded no easy road to the title as they had to play Spain, Austria, and Czechoslovakia. Austria had reestablished itself as a dominant force before the World Cup with a 4-2 win over the Italians in Italy and a 5-2 victory over Hungary. The Czechs were led to the final by a fine display from Nejedlý who scored 9 goals in 9 games that season, including a semi final hat trick vs Germany and the winner vs England pre world cup. Althogh he did not get to shine in the World Cup Sarois had a break out season for Hungary being the top scorer in the Mitropa Cup and scoring 10 in 7 games fro Hungary. Bologna won the Mitropa Cup over Admira Vienna.

In South America it was again a quite year on the international front. Boca continued their early dominance of the decade with another title.

The top three seemed pretty well defined for me. Meazza's World Cup performance may be slightly overrated, but for the whole year he was amazing for Italy scoring 7 in 9 games and he was fantastic vs England, scoring twice and hitting the post in the second half despite playing down a man. Brook was great for England and Man City. He led City to the FA Cup title and scored 5 times in 6 games for England, including 2 vs Italy, where he and Bastin tore the Italians apart with an early offensive blitz. Nejedlý was possibl the best player at the World Cup and was great in other important internationals, scoring 9 in 9 games.

The big issue was trying to decide who would get left out of the top 23. A number of excellent performers from the Mitropa Cup did not get in to the final 23 (Adolf Vogl, Francisco Fedullo). A number of Italians who were very important to the World Cup winning side were left out (Gianpiero Combi, Enrique Guaita, Luigi Bertolini). I really wanted to get a couple more Czechs and Germans into the 23 as both teams had great World Cups and international years all around (Jiří Sobotka, Josef Košťálek, Edmund Conen, Ernst Lehner). Also so excellent South American club seasons did not make the list (Francisco Varallo, Roberto Cherro, Ernesto Lazzatti, Anibal Ciocca). The players I am closest to considering dropping are Sindelar and Lángara. Bican and Zischek seemed more important to Austria's excellent form before the World Cup, as Sindelar did not even play vs the Italians. But he did have one of his best domestic club seasons, finishing 3rd and scoring 22 in 22 games. I also feel like he was such a big figure at this point he may have received the vote no matter his performance. Lángara had great goalscoring records for club and country but I do not know if that is enough to get him in this year, as his teams league finishes would improve in subsequent seasons and he failed to make a major impact in the World Cup. Also 3 Spanish players seems a little like overkill in such a crowded year. If I do decide to take them out the major hurdle would be deciding which players to put in their places.

Perú FC, Pipiolo, AD78 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This year a lot of people have a case for the 23, I think Langara has a good case with strong international and club showing. Italian players is a tough one, maybe Combi deserves to be in and possibley Guaita but at the expense possibly of Allemandi maybe, very tricky. I completely agree with Meazza and Nejedly in top three but the other is harder. I did not have Brook in my top ten for season but over calendar year he has a good case. That same logic argues with Sindelar pssobley coming out for Calendar year but in for season.

comme repped this.
  11. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Not sure if anybody has mentioned it already, but I would like to propose an HM to Irish goalgetter Jimmy Dunne. During the early 30s probably the most consistent scorer in England (broke some kind of records if I remember correctly). Three times in a row runner-up for top scorer playing for Sheffield United, a mediocre team at the time. But Dunne seems to have been an outstanding scorer, even at NT level (I ignore against what opposition, but I assume the other NT of the British Isles).

peterhrt, comme and Tom Stevens repped this.
  12. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Perhaps for 1933 one could also mention José Nasazzi. Surely no introduction for him is needed. After spending his entire career in humble team Bella Vista, he joined Nacional for the 1933 season. In 1932, the previous season, Nacional finished in the 3rd place and conceded 34 goals, while Bella Vista in Nasazzi's last season with the team finished in the 8th place (out of ten teams) after conceding 35 goals. In 1933, now with Nasazzi in Nacional, the team finished first and allowed less than a third of the goals conceded the previous year (10). At the same time, a now Nasazzi-less Bella Vista finished last and conceded as much as 61 goals. That is how influential and determinant Nasazzi could be. No doubt one of the highest rated defenders at the time and worthy of a mention.

13. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Braine, Raymond (Sparta Prague)
    Caceres, Delfin Benitez (Boca Junior)
    Castro, Hector (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Ciocca, Anibal (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Conen, Edmund (Saarbrücken, Germany)
    Da Guia, Domingos (Boca Junior)
    Drake, Ted (Arseanl, England)
    Guaita, Enrique (Roma, Italy)
    James, Alex (Arsenal)
    Lehner, Ernst (Schwaben, Germany)
    Nasazzi, José (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Piola, Silvio (Lazio, Italy)
    Rimmer, Ellis (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Svoboda, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Varallo, Francisco (Boca Junior, Argentina)

Honorable Mention: Matthias Kaburek, Franz Binder, Josef Košťálek, László Cseh, Titkos Pál, Giovanni Ferrari, Paul Janes, Fritz Szepan, August Lenz, Dally Duncan, Erebo Zunino, Diego Garcia, Ernesto Lazzatti

By Country: England (4), Uruguay (3), Italy (3), Argentina (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Germany (2), Paraguay (1), Spain (1), Brazil (1), Austria (1), Hungary (1), Scotland (1), Belgium (1)

By League: England (5), Argentina (4), Uruguay (3), Italy (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Germany (2), Spain (1), Austria (1), Hungary (1)

England and Scotland shared the Home Championship, the only other major international match of note was England defeating Germany handily at home. Domestically Arsenal won its third straight title and fourth of the decade.

On the continent it was a very slow year for international matches with Italy, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Spain, and Hungary all playing light schedules with mixed results. Germany was the only team to play an extensive schedule with 17 matches played and a 13-1-3 record. a large number of their victories were over smaller European sides. In club football the Mitropa Cup was reaching its peak and this year saw a number of great performances from Braine, Sarosi, and Sindelar especially.

In South America Boca won its fourth title of the decade. The first South American Championship of the decade was played. Uruguay overcame Argentina and a rising Peru side who hosted the tournament, led by veteran defender Nassazi and forwards Castro and Ciocca.

I felt good about Braine and Drake in the top three this year. Braine was the standout player and champion of the Mitropa Cup, and Drake scored 43 goals in 45 games for Arsenal, THE team in England. The third spot was really a toss up. Sindelar and Sarosi were both great in the Mitropa Cup, and although Sindelar seemed to have a singularly great performance early in the tournament, knocking out his Italian rival, Sarosi did knock Sindelar's side in the semifinal and Sarosi was top scorer. Sarosi also had a strong international year where Sindelar did not. Guaita was another good candidate, with the top scoring season in Italian history for a 16 team season.

Perú FC, AD78 and comme repped this.
  14. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    For 1935 one could give a shout for Andre Abegglen, Swiss goalgetter who was top scorer 1934-35 in France helping his Sochaux win the league title. Not sure though, because in 1935-36 he did play a few less matches and was not scoring at the same rate (though still decent, not far from a goal a game):
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Abegglen

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Not sure he'd be ahead of James necessarily. Maybe Orsi. I can't find Sindelar's domestic record easily.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Along with Alan Shearer I think he's the only person to score 30+ in three consecutive seasons in the top flight.

carlito86 and Once repped this.
  17. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Another player who came up from the 20s did it four seasons in a row David Halliday with Sunderland. Another great Scottish center forward from the 20s who could not get a cap.

frasermc and comme repped this.
  18. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would be most likely to put him ahead of Orsi if anyone. Can't find specifics on Sindelar domestically either. I would say that FK's point total and goals scored is better than most seasons in the 30s. This was his peak season with the national team I believe, with a hat trick in 8-2 win over Hungary, a brace in the 2-1 win over Italy, and the excellent performance vs England where he also scored.

comme repped this.
  19. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Players from 2nd tier countries that could be mentioned some year in the 1920s, imho.
    Argentina: Pedro Ochoa, Miguel Dellavalle, Gabino Sosa, Fernando Paternoster.
    Austria: A.Popovic, J.Brandstätter, L.Nitsch, K.Kurz, F.Gschweidl, R.Viertl, M.Sindelar, J.Smistik
    Spain: José María Peña, Vicente Piera, Jacinto Quincocés
    Italy: U.Caligaris, M.Magnozzi, L.Allemandi, F.Bernardini, G.Combi

Perú FC, comme and Tom Stevens repped this.
  20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    One player I was thinking about who I didn't see was Patsy Gallagher of Celtic. Not sure if his peak form was maybe before WW1 but he was still at the club until about 1925 or 1926 I think and was regarded as a terrific player despite his short stature.

frasermc repped this.
  21. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He made the top 23 in 1922. Just reading a little more about him he might make a good bet for 1925 as well.

comme repped this.
  22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ah, so he did. Difficult to know with some players quite when their best form was.

23. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember Fraser saying his best form was likely during the 1910s when Celtic won 5 titles from 1913 to 1919, with also some good years in the 20s.

24. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Allemandi, Luigi (Roma, Italy)
    Andreolo, Michele (Bologna, Italy)
    Braine, Raymond (Sparta Prague)
    Carter, Raich (Sunderland, England)
    Cseh, László (MTK, Hungary)
    Drake, Ted (Arseanl, England)
    Garcia, Diego (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Gurney, Bobby (Sunderland)
    Hahnemann, Wilhelm (Admira Vienna, Austria)
    Male, George (Arsenal, England)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic)
    Minella, José María (River Plate, Argeninta)
    Monzeglio, Eraldo (Roma, Italy)
    Moreno, Jose Manuel (River Plate, Argentina)
    Peucelle, Carlos (River Plate, Argentina)
    Sesta, Karl (FK Austria, Austria)
    Villadoniga, Segundo (Penarol, Uruguay)

Honorable Mention: Johann Mock, Franz Binder, Josef Košťálek, Vojtěch Bradáč, Ferenc Sas, Titkos Pál, Silvio Piola, Eddie Hapgood, Bryn Jones, Dally Duncan, Ricardo Zamora, Bernabe Ferreyra, Carvalho Leite, Teleco

By Country: England (5), Argentina (4), Italy (4), Austria (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Uruguay (1), Belguim (1), Spain (1), Scotland (1)

By League: England (5), Argentina (4), Italy (4), Austria (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Uruguay (1), Spain (1), Scotland (1)

In Europe there was no major international occurrences with the top sides taking turns beating up on one another and no team really emerging from that group as superior. Things are still quite in South America on the international front.

In Britain Sunderland surge to the title led by star Raich Carter who scores 31 in 39 despite being the teams major creator as well. They won the league by 8 points and scored 20 more goals than the next highest scoring team. Arsenal added to their trophy cabinet despite failing to win the league a fourth consecutive time, winning the FA Cup. McGrory had a historic goalscoring season in Scotland leading Celtic to the title.

The Mitropa Cup was won for the second time by Sindelar and FK Austria, defeating Slavia, Sparta, Ujpest, and Bologna in the process. Admira won the Austrian League led by emerging talent Hahnemann. Sparta won the league behind the excellent duo of Braine and Nejedlý, who also led Sparta to the Mitropa Cup final with excellent performances. Sarosi was the top scorer in Hungary while László Cseh had a great year leading MTK to the title and being Hungary's top scorer for the year. I was a strange year in Italy after Juventus' 5 year stranglehold on the league came to an end. Two hyper defensive teams battled for first place with Bologna winning over Roma by one point. Roma's fullback pairing of Allemandi and Monzeglio were stalwarts for club and country. They only allowed 20 goals in 30 games for Roma and played all six international games in a year where Italy did not lose a game despite only scoring more than 2 goals once in those 6 games.

In South America Penarol was in the midst of a 4 consecutive championship run. In Argentina a new force was rising as River Plate beat out San Lorenzo in a playoff after a two part season. Young stars Jose Manuel Moreno and Adolfo Pedernera were joined by veterans Minella, Ferreyra, and Peucelle to form a powerful team that would move to even greater heights next season.

The top three was difficult this season with only Carter seen as a clear bet as clearly the best player in England. Sindelar led his team to the Mitropa Cup and was no doubt excellent, but his performance was not as good as the one in 1933, and probably not even as good as 1935. He also had a reduced role in the national team at this point, rotating with a number of other players at center forward. Meazza's Inter finished fourth in the league, four points back of the winners. But they were by far the highest scoring team in the league scoring 22 more goals than the next closest team. Meazza himself was the leagues top scorer with 25 goals in 30 games, and was the Mitropa Cup top scorer with 10 goals in 7 games.

Perú FC, AD78 and Pipiolo repped this.
  25. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #125 Tom Stevens, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

Andreolo, Michele (Bologna, Italy)
    Carter, Raich (Sunderland, England)
    Cseh, László (MTK, Hungary)
    Doherty, Peter (Manchester City, Northern Ireland)
    Erico, Arsenio (Independiente)
    Ferreyra, Bernabe (River Plate, Argentina)
    Garcia, Enrique (Racing, Argentina)
    Kopecký, Vlastimil (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    McPhail, Bob (Rangers, Scotland)
    Moreno, Jose Manuel (River Plate, Argentina)
    Nausch, Walter (FK Austria, Austria)
    Patesko (Botafogo, Brazil)
    Peucelle, Carlos (River Plate, Argentina)
    Piola, Silvio (Lazio, Italy)
    Szepan, Fritz (Schalke, Germany)
    Tim (Fluminense, Brazil)
    Toro, Raúl (Wanderers, Chile)
    Varela, Severino (Penarol, Uruguay)
    Zsengellér, Gyula (Ujpest, Hungary)

Honorable Mention: Franz Binder, Karl Sesta, Oldřich Nejedlý, Jiri Sobotka, Géza Toldi, Frederick Steele, Stanley Matthews, Ernst Lehner, Ernst Kuzorra, Alberto Zozaya, José María Minella, Vicente de la Mata, Adolfo Pedernera, Brandao, Luisinho, Niginho, Segundo Castillo

By Country: Argentina (5), Hungary (3), England (2), Italy (2), Austria (2), Brazil (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Scotland (1), Chile (1), Uruguay (1), Germany (1), Paraguay (1), Northern Ireland (1)

By League: Argentina (6), Hungary (3), England (3), Italy (2), Austria (2), Brazil (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Scotland (1), Chile (1), Uruguay (1), Germany (1)

In England Man City were led to the title by heroics from Doherty and Brook, while Carter had another excellent season leading Sunderland to the FA Cup. Scotland had an excellent international year, beating Czechoslovakia home and away (8-1 combined score) as well as beating England 3-1. Bob McPhail was a important part of the national team, scoring twice in the 3-1 victory over England and once in the 3-1 away win vs Czechoslovakia. He also led Rangers back to the top of the Scottish league.

Continentally it was a big year internationally for Germany, Hungary, and Italy. Germany went on an extensive 11 match undefeated tour recording some historic blowouts but failed to play any top European teams. Hungary recorded a famous 8-3 win over Czechoslovakia and beat Austria in Vienna. Italy managed to go undefeated for a second consecutive year. The Mitrpoa Cup was won by Frenencvaros with amazing performances from winner Sarosi (12 goals in 9 games) and runner up Piola (10 goals in 6 games).

This was a huge year for Argentina with historic performances domestically and a true South American Championship internationally. The 1937 South American Championship was the first fully attended addition in the tournaments history. The top six South American sides all attended with Brazil coming out of hibernation. There were also no cupcakes in this tournament as Peru, Chile, and Paraguay all had developed competitive teams. Brazil were the best team throughout most of the tournament and needed only to draw with hosts Argentina to win the tournament, but Argentina won a jammy 1-0 game. A single game playoff was used to decide a winner as the teams were now even on points. Argentina won the controversial game 2-0 with two extra time goals. In the Argentinian domestic league two historic performances occurred. River Plate fully realized their team setting the record for most points (would stand until 1966) and goals scored in a single season. They also decisively won the Copa Aldo (5-2 over Penarol) and Copa Ibarguran (5-0 over Rosario Central) to be the first team to win all three domestic titles available in Argentina. Moreno was the rising star of the team scoring 34 goals in 33 games in all competitions. Arsenio Erico emerged with Moreno as one of the biggest stars the league had ever seen. Independiente finished second to River, equaling there record goalscoring output of 106 goals in 34 games season. Erico scored 47 goals in 34 games, the all time highest number scored in Argentina to this day.

This was a very difficult year to fit all the players I wanted into the top 23 and the top three finalists. I really wanted to include Sesta, Toldi, Matthews, Kuzorra, Minella, and Pedernera among others but there simply was no room. The top three was even more difficult with performances left out of the final group that would make the top three in almost every other season I have done thus far. Erico had a greatest goalscoring season in Argentina's history and was a revolutionary player. Moreno led River Plate to its greatest season even. Sarosi had the amazing Mitropa Cup performance with 12 goals in 9 games including hat tricks in both legs of the final. He also had an amazing international year scoring 10 times in 6 games and famously scoring 7 in one games vs Czechoslovakia and the best goalkeeper in the world František Plánička. Peter Doherty had a legendary season leading Man City to the title scoring 32 times in 42 games. Raich Carter had another amazing season leading Sunderland to the FA Cup title (26 goals in 37 league games), at the age of 24 he had already captained a team both major English titles. Silvio Piola led lowly Lazio to 2nd in the league and was the leagues top scorer with 21 goals. He also led Lazio to the final of the Mitropa Cup scoring 10 goals in 6 games. He was also part of an Italy squad that had not lost in 2 years, scoring 5 times in 5 games for country.

Perú FC, AD78, comme and 2 others repped this.