Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clasico suspended, will not be played next week in Barcelona (or in Madrid), likely to be rescheduled for 18 December, though 7 December is also mentioned but that would require other teams to reschedule their weekend clashes with Barca and Real (likely to 18 December...) https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...elona-real-madrid-set-agree-new-date-football

There are Copa del Rey matches on 18 December, but without the involvement of any of the Champions League clubs. Playing on 7 December, the league’s preference, would allow their showcase match to be held on a Saturday but would oblige them to reschedule the Barcelona-Mallorca and Madrid-Espanyol fixtures originally set for that weekend. It would also mean playing the clásico in the same week as Barcelona travel to Inter Milan and Madrid go to Club Brugge. The game must be played before the start of the second half of the season, which begins on 17 January.

A final resolution is expected following the deadline on Monday, but will not be much comfort to supporters who had already bought tickets, and arranged travel and hotels for the original 26 October date.

Reminder that Supercopa is a 4 team tourney January 8th and 12th this year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Supercopa_de_España

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Grrr...gonna be a midweek clasico again, I suspect.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The club paid Atletico 15m for the Griezmann ordeal and so that they keep their proof emails secret.

Clowns.

4. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I hope they put Bart in jail for that. Our club president is a criminal just like Rosell. Ruining the club bit by bit.

unclesox repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Asspanyol :thumbsup:

6. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

La Liga and Barcelona are becoming disgusting. Super Copa to be played in Saudi Arabia!!!!!!

Honestly the players should boycott the game! It's a disgrace on so many levels.

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sooo despite Valverde having one of the world’s most expensive squads at his disposal - including arguably two of the best three players in world football ( Messi and FDJ) ... the league is being headed by Granada and we are only ahead of Real Sociedad through goal difference.

8. Curls

Curls Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Apparently Alena out on loan in January, makes sense considering he needs game time but the question is, why isn't he getting game time at Barca, even if it just as a sub? Great talent that is just out of the picture completely for some reason, what a nonsense.

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy 17th birthday:
    [​IMG]

ShortyMac repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Because Arthur is good, and Vidal playing really well. Tough enough for Busquets to get PT.

I'm a fan , but Alena is not at these players' level yet.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dembele left out of this weekend's call up.

12. Curls

Curls Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Alena will not be at these players' level until he gets playing time, Alena isn't even making matchday squads for some absurd reason. Mentioning Arthur doesn't really come into it as he's pretty much a first choice mid along with Busquets, De Jong and Vidal, hence why i said 'even as a sub' in my previous post.

Alena would be playing backup to these guys until he is ready, and tbh i don't think he is that far off, i'd certainly be giving him more mins than Rakitic is currently getting. He impressed in preseason and i also thought he was the best midfielder in the Bilbao game before being taken off, that's not saying much granted but still. There are plenty of games that he can be involved in this season, this is a player that will be a star in the future, whether it's at Barca or elsewhere.

13. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    It seems unbelievable we are still first in the league. Hope not too many fans have unrealistically high expectations. We are probably worse than last year and there is a lot of chemistry to build with De Jong and Griezmann.

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Equal points with Real Madrid who are soooo bad they’re constantly linked with new managers

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My expectation is to win the league. Not expecting anything more than that.

I still think we're on track for that. I mean, we were w/o Messi for many games and, as you say, still in first.

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Dembele, Alena and Umtiti IN
    Arthur, Suarez, Firpo OUT

[​IMG]

17. Curls

Curls Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I'm still a fan of Busquets and he's probably still first choice for me considering his experience but i'd love to see a midfield of Arthur--De Jong--Alena more often, for me that's the future and those three should be given more of a chance to play together in order to form some kind of chemistry. Playing in the right system those three along with Messi would keep the ball for fun.

Playing stop gaps like Vidal and Sergi Roberto is not the answer, they may have decent performances every now and then but it's damaging the club long term. How Alena doesn't even get a look in is laughable, that said when you have a manager that lacks a vision that is what you get.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    This guy has to go ... he’s a complete muppet or is it a puppet .

156AA043-AC5F-4C61-9C91-F9D4A2D54B10-2795-000001AC1F75037A.jpg

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Supercopa games defined.

Jan 8 - Madrid x Valencia
    Jan 9 - Barcelona x Atletico
    Jan 12 - Final

This is probably the first time I will willfully not watch a game. I used to watch the Supercopa pre-season for the heck of it ... but this makes absolutely zero sense. Complete waste.

unclesox repped this.
  20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, we're more desperate for football in mid-August. But I said this when they moved the Italian super-cup to mid-season: why would anyone watch a glorified friendly in January? There's so much football to watch, its coming out of our ears.

[But okay, if we get a clasico it might still be somewhat tempting]

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's crazy. Any game between these teams can turn into a heated affair risking injuries. Why would you want to run that risk midway through the season and close CL KO rounds ?

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pique on an interview says he is so busy with off the field business that he barely gets 4-5 hours of sleep a day.

23. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    sleeping 4-5 hours for a professional athlete? its so sad that he doesnt take football seriously anymore.
    pretty sum up of barcenola's main players now

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'll try to put a positive spin on it and say that it can be used to try something new - new tactics, new players. Treat it like a Round of 32 Copa del Rey match. At least for the Atletico match, and then only if both us and LPB win their semifinal (unlikely) then strengthen the team for the one match final.

At least the CdR is now only 1-leg per round, plus the 4 teams competing in the super cup get a bye in the first CdR round.