High School Vs Club ...... part 98

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by jeremys_dad, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In their comments

Fist things first....
    Kudos to our Vermont State Soccer Association for not handing over that roster demanded by the VPA.

“In my 11 years, (soccer) has never come up for discussion,” Johnson said because the sport has enough showcase events in the spring and summer.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion of what enough of anything is, Mr. Johnson's statement quite adequately surmises a well illustrated example of just how entrenched authorities feel they are entitled to make such sweeping policy decisions of great magnitude all on their own. In a tenure for life well paid positions, perhaps it is easy and maybe even natural for malignancy to develop.

Please take note Mr. Johnson....Four years at a D1 college for a student graduating in 20 19 or 2020 could easily exceed $250K U.S. Sitting on a high horse should not entitle one resident of our state to tell other residents that their kid shouldn't have all the chances at that quarter mil as possible. It's also equally difficult to understand why a coach would tell a player they'd be benched all their own like that. An ostrich with it's head in the sand is all the imagery I can muster. While it's much easier to have some form of pity and understanding for a coach not wanting an all year club system and an end to continual 1st place trophies, truth be told club kids are already role models, and there would be another twenty two joining them in their ranks. Pretty important since school town unions eliminated a huge majority varsity positions.

VPA should be sponsoring or awarding these tremendous players with some kind of grant for what role models they are, instead of throwing up roadblocks denying participation of what potentially could be a life changing fixture. What parents have sacrificed for their kids and scholarship players on the club is in nearly all cases been a substantial expense.

Our VPA in it's bias of denying showcase events for boys soccer but not for girls hockey pretty much epitomizes that fact that they are indeed problems needing to be addressed. Issuing a warning on the basis of a name in a roster is not a warning for participating in a (one match,) which would have saved face for all parties, and was likely the better alternative in this instance.

Vermont's elite club players certainly are much better off with a longer season and not playing high school ball primarily because "our" Vermont Principle Association's direct responsibility for such an abhorrent and dismal interscholastic referee system. Besides this clearly antiquated two ref system being wrong on so many levels, assessment of their performance is exception, and not the norm.

With that being said, denying our state's "club rats" that ever so important opportunity to have this "way more fun then club soccer" experience in high school, getting to train every day instead of only three times a week, a whole new comrade of tight friends, games every week against different opponents ever time, those letter jackets, a maybe not small amount of fame, and a chance to win the state championship is crazy. What would high school hockey look like with out their club rats?

Today's social media enables us with such tremendous tools of electronic communication, for our Principles Association to begin addressing issues parents are concerned about. With growing demands and needs for transparency, there are no good reasons why this association doesn't "step up to the plate" and start soliciting and disseminating public input. We as citizens have absolutely zero avenue for redress in dealing with Vermont's sports cartel, and that is something maybe legislature needs to address.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I loved the comment that basically said, "Uhhhh ... it's the middle of college season. How many college coaches do you think will be there then as opposed to a college showcase in March?"

Looks like a club coach on a power trip to me.

4. Massmom

Massmom Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Vermont is not the only state where this would happen. It would violate MIAA rules in Mass. as well. Have they published a list of college coaches attending this showcase? I would be surprised if it was heavily attended given the timing.

5. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    "“In a sports season players who have participated in competition as a member of a school group shall not compete as members of a non-school organized group in the same sport.”"

Have never heard of such a thing in my state (NJ) and obviously if it is a Brooklyn tournament, NY teams are allowed to play in it regardless of HS soccer participation. The only rule our state's HS sports association has is that a player cannot accept any kind of prize or money for competing in an event for the same sport.

I'm also wondering, at what point does it become a school team? Does every player have to be on the team? Or at least two? Or is the onus on the players not the HS team?

Even the USSF academy system penalizes the team for playing an ineligible player, and not the player.

6. mdc00

mdc00 Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this would necessarily violate the rules in MA.

According to the story, here's the VPA policy that was violated: “In a sports season players who have participated in competition as a member of a school group shall not compete as members of a non-school organized group in the same sport.”

And here's a Q&A from the MIAA website (http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/OftenAskedQuestions.pdf):

4-28
    I am a select soccer player. Can I play on my select club team at the same time that I play on my high school
    team?
    YES. Provided your own school does not have a more restrictive policy, you can participate on a non-school team at the same time you compete on your school team with a few restrictions. You cannot miss a high school competition or practice in order to participate in the non-school program. (Rule 45 & 96)

So I gather it would be fine for a club to attend a tournament during the HS season as long as it didn't conflict with any HS practices or games for any of their players. (Avoiding conflicts might be easier said than done, of course.)

7. Massmom

Massmom Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Theoretically it might be possible in MA, but I don't see it happening. My son played varsity his freshman year and there were practices and/or games six days a week. A tournament over a holiday weekend would require the HS coach to look the other way and the rest of the team and their parents not to rat the player out for missing a HS commitment.

8. mdc00

mdc00 Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that.