Hidetoshi Nakata

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jameschua, Apr 20, 2007.

1. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
  2. arcade_game-redded

Nov 10, 2006
    Career of Nakata Hidoetoshi

Hidetoshi Nakata
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Hidetoshi Nakata

Personal information
    Full name Hidetoshi Nakata
    Date of birth January 22, 1977 (1977-01-22) (age 30)
    Place of birth Kofu, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan
    Height 1.75 m : 72 kg
    Playing position Midfielder
    Youth clubs
    1986–1989
    1989–1992
    1992–1995 Hokushin Boys Soccer Club
    Kofu Kita Jr. H.S.
    Nirasaki H.S.
    Senior clubs1
    Years Club App (Gls)*
    1995–1998
    1998–2000
    2000–2001
    2001-2004
    2004-2005
    2005-2006 Bellmare Hiratsuka
    Perugia
    AS Roma
    Parma
    → Bologna (loan)
    Fiorentina
    → Bolton Wanderers (loan)
    Total 085 (16)
    048 (12)
    030 0(5)
    067 0(5)
    017 0(2)
    0330(0)
    024 0(1)
    289 (41)
    National team
    1997–2006 Japan 077 (11)
    1 Senior club appearances and goals
    counted for the domestic league only.
    * Appearances (Goals)

Hidetoshi Nakata (中田 英寿 Nakata Hidetoshi; born January 22, 1977 in Yamanashi Prefecture), is a Japanese former football player. He was one of the most famous Asian footballers of his generation.

Nakata began his professional career in 1995 and won the Asian Football Confederation Player of the Year award in 1997 and 1998, the Scudetto with A.S. Roma in 2001, played for Japan in three FIFA World Cup tournaments(1998, 2002 and 2006) and played in the Olympics twice (1996 and 2000). In 2005, he was made the Knight of the Star of Italian Solidarity, one of the Italy's highest honours, for improving the country's image overseas.[1] Nakata is known as a fashion icon, regularly attending runway shows and wearing designer fashion.

Nakata announced his retirement at age 29 on July 3, 2006 after a ten-year career that included seven seasons in the Italian Serie A and a season in the English Premiership.

Pelé named Hidetoshi Nakata in his 125 Top Living Footballers in March 2004.

Nakata began his professional career at age 18 in 1995, with J. League side Bellmare Hiratsuka (now Shonan Bellmare). He represented Japan at the 1996 Olympics, where Japan upset Brazil.[2] Nakata also appeared in the 2000 Olympics.

He made his senior national team debut in May 1997 against South Korea and was a key member of the Japanese side that qualified for the 1998 FIFA World Cup, setting up all three Japanese goals in the qualification play-off against Iran. After the World Cup in France, he moved to Perugia in Italy's Serie A.

In January 2000, after one and a half seasons at Perugia, Nakata moved to Roma, whom he helped win the scudetto, including the two late goals against then league rivals Juventus to secure a 2-2 draw. He also helped Japan reach the final of the 2001 Confederations Cup that season, but left the national team before the final to join Roma for their final league matches.[3]

In 2001, he joined Parma, where he played for two and a half seasons.

Nakata played in every match for Japan at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, co-hosted by South Korea and Japan, and scored a goal against Tunisia.

In January 2004, Nakata joined Bologna where he played the remainder of the 2003/04 season before moving to Fiorentina, where he played the 2004/05 season.

In August 2005, Nakata moved to Premiership side Bolton Wanderers on loan.

At the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Nakata played in all three matches for Japan, losing to Australia and Brazil, and drawing with Croatia. Although Nakata has appeared in every World Cup match that Japan has played thus far, he was not selected for the country's Asian Cup-winning squads in either 2000 or 2004.

On July 3, 2006, Nakata announced his retirement from professional football and the Japanese national team on his personal website "I decided half a year ago that I would retire from the world of professional football... after the World Cup in Germany," Nakata wrote, "I will never again stand on the pitch as a professional player. But I will never give up football."[4][5]

Nakata has cited the popular manga and anime series, Captain Tsubasa, as his primary inspiration in choosing football as a career.[6]

On June 7, 2007, he made an appearance in Thu Wa Na Youth Training Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar , in a charity game. He played 45 minutes each for the red and the white teams made up of myanmar footballers and celebrities. The jerseys of both teams read "We Love Nakata". [7]

On June 9, 2007, he made an appearance on the pitch again when he played for Luís Figo's Charity Match.

3. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    Re: Career of Nakata Hidoetoshi

ok...

4. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    Re: Career of Nakata Hidoetoshi

LOL, this is a fangirl blog of Hide Nakata, but its good to see what Hide Nakatas doing, and how many chicks his with all the time. I swear he's such a fashion manwhore.

http://btaribulan.blogspot.com/

5. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aaah, Nakata... My ex (awesome looking, but a nutcase of the highest order) was a huge fan of his. Any mention of him always takes me back to all those months I put up with all her crap just because she was so fit... It was worth it. ;)

6. dj_funk redded

dj_funk redded Red Card

Apr 5, 2008
    Hidetoshi is 2 times Asian Player of the Year.
    He is phenom whom will be appeared once a decade.
    Nakamura is also a fine player, but compared to Hide's career Nakamura is a joke.

7. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    while i've always been a big fan of nakata, i disagree with you there.

sure, nakata was a pioneer and paved the way for the current generation of japanese players to ply their trade in europe. and for that, he will always be regarded as a legend and rightfully so.

but what has nakata done since 2001? he commanded big money transfers due to his name and potential marketing.

sure, nakata won 2 asian player of the year awards. but didn't nakamura get robbed of at least one because he was in europe and couldn't attend the ceremony? (my memory fades me.)

Individual honors
    J. League Best Eleven: 1999, 2000
    J-League Most Valuable Player: 2000
    FIFA Confederations Cup Bronze Shoe Award: 2003
    Asian Cup Best Eleven: 2000, 2004
    Asian Cup Most Valuable Player: 2004
    SPFA Players' Player of the Year: 2007
    SFWA Footballer of the Year: 2007
    Scottish PFA Goal of the Season: 2007
    Scottish PFA's Team of the Season: 2007[28]
    Scottish Premier League Player of the Month: 2007 (Feb)
    Celtic Player of the Year: 2007[29]
    Celtic Fans Player of the Year: 2007[30]

you can argue that nakata had an illustrious career. i won't argue with you there.

but to say nakamura's career has been a joke compared to nakata's in absurd and screams ignorance.

8. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's far from a joke, whether compared to Nakata or not. However, a big difference is the fact Nakamura's playing in a second rate league, whereas Nakata was in one of the best. If Nakamura was ever to make the step up to the Italian, Spanish or English league and have the same success, it'd be different. Until then...

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    good point.

however, as i said, since 2001, what has nakata really done with parma, fiorentina, and bolton?

nakamura may be playing in an inferior league, but he was vital to their title run and a relatively successful champions league campaign.

once again, this is coming from a big nakata fan.

i'd say since 2002, nakamura's career > nakata's.

10. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A point worth remembering is Nakata was loaned out from both Parma and Fiorentina - never really a good sign, especially when each time they were loans to arguably lower performing teams.

Regarding Nakamura, I should have "step back up" of course, as he used to play in Seria A. No disrespect meant to the SPL, but a decent player will always do a lot better in Scotland than he might in one of Europe's better leagues.

11. great_slice redded

Apr 5, 2008
    New York
    Compared to Bum Kun Cha, Nakata is simply nothing.
    Cha simply didn't play in EPL nor Serie-A, but he is recognized as the player of the century among Asian players. AFC even agreed on it.

12. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    hmm... i'm not japanese so i am biased, as the only times i've really seen nakata was at Bolton. But to say S Nakamura is a joke ... i have to agree with Jedi... SPL or not, I've seen what Nakamura can do against Europe's finest in the Champions League. Not only that, Nakamura's career isn't even finished. I have a feeling that by 2010, Nakamura will eclipse Nakata. But let's face it... Nakamura will never dress as nicely as Nakata and will never have a horde of female following... just an opinion from a passerby.

is it fair for me to say that Nakamura's role in Celtic seem a lot more important than Nakata's while he was playing in the serie A?

P.S. nevermind. please ignore my ignorant post. Just looked up Nakata's career record and it appears that indeed Nakamura's career just isn't up to par. I was too Bolton-biased.

13. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i would agree with that statement.

last year when he was healthy, he was crucial for celtic and regularly contributed to their title campaign and champions league run.

nakata played very well at perugia but that was a crap team.

he won the title with roma, but really, he wasn't a full-time starter in that team. his only other success was the italian cup with parma.

however, i will say this, and many japan fans have disagreed with me here.

i thought nakata outplayed nakamura for japan many times. however, nakamura got most of the praise and recognition since he scored more goals and such. but for example, in the confederations cup 2003 and 2005, i thought nakata had better performances while playing out of position too.

14. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    good point about nakata being loaned to bolton and fiorentina. and i'll give him some benefit of the doubt while at fiorentina because he did suffer many nagging injuries.

however, at the time, i think bolton was a better club than parma. he actually played decently for the first half of the season but then really faded. i remember there was one moment - i think when he got sent off - and after that he just looked hesitant all the time.

15. moneypower redded

Apr 6, 2008
    Nakata or Nakamura are all meaningless to talk about.
    Younes mahmoud is currently the best players in Asia.

16. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Duly noted, but being the Japan forum, you're going to find people are going to tend to talk about Japanese players. ;)

17. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It really depends on who you talk to. Fans that started to follow Japanese football from late 90s would say Nakata is better and fans that started to follow football in early 2000s would say Nakamura is better. I am the former.

18. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Don't leave out the select group who believe that Ono is actually even more talented than the two mentioned.

19. dj_funk redded

dj_funk redded Red Card

Apr 5, 2008
    Hidetoshi retired. His career was great in Perugia, but the rest was so so.
    Hide however did not contribute much for Japanese team.

20. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    H. Nakata > Nakamura >>>> Ono:cool:

21. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    lol...

touche.

22. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    agreed.

oooh....now there's a debate.

23. great_slice redded

Apr 5, 2008
    New York
    Seriously those 3 have not met even me in requisite international level. It depends when talking about talents.

24. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What? Your post makes no sense.

25. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i think he meant to say he has never met nakata, nakamura, and ono on an international flight. :D