Hibernian season thread 09/10

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 7, 2009.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thought it was about time to start this as well.

I'll start it off with this one word...

CHEAPSKATES!

Hibernian have expressed an interest in Celtic goalkeeper Mark Brown but are hoping to secure his services without paying a transfer fee...

the cheek of it from Petrie...

...but Celtic appear unlikely to want to part with the goalkeeper for free as he remains under contract.

but that's more like it. ;)

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    There you have it, Hibs are the team of true Scotsmen.

3. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Don't know why Celtic don't let him go for a nominal fee. Not as if his value has soared or anything.

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think the relationship has soured between Celtic and Hibs. Apparently we offered the same price for Fletcher as Burnley, and not to mention the January debacle, but Petrie wasn't interested in even discussing the possibility.

Which is entirely up to him but the petty mindedness that surges throughout our game would inevitably come to the fore with Lawell waiting for any possibility to stick it back to Petrie.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I doubt there will be much changing in the way of Hibs often being a feeder team for Celtic. I think it is fairly standard to not want to sell a star player to a team that has been intentionally disrupting a player's season, and certainly not for the same price that would be had by selling to a different league.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Absolutely agree with that logic. But it's the SPL so the L word takes a back seat.

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    How many more players are you intending to sell...?

Last one turn the lights out...

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A win for Hibs in a friendly against Dunfermline, 4-0.

Goals for Nish(2), Riordan and Johansson.

A chance for Yankhibee to wax lyrical about how they're going to steam into the top three or four this season after a display of such attacking prowess. :D

9. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    I still think Hearts will finish 3rd by some distance, they have easily the 3rd best squad in the league.

It'll be between Hibs, Utd and Aberdeen for the other euro place.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I think 4th is a realistic expectation. Hearts could finish 3rd or 7th realistically.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hibernian’s latest pre-season encounter against Raith Rovers this evening was dramatically abandoned seconds into the second half after a mixture of floodlight failure and severe weather conditions left referee David Somers no option but to call time early.

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=3553_0_1_0_C

:rolleyes:

What is it with you folk in the East? First Livi, now this. Can't you people over in Little London pay your leci bills?

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The clouds are much more dangerous after they collect all of the shit that steams forth from Glasgow. It's made all the worse because the thunder picks up an accent that sounds like a toothless hiccup while in weegieland.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I hope Hogg is up to the captaincy--Murray seemed a more natural choice to me. It looks like Benji is finally gone, but Zemmama is up for it...who knows? Denes Rosa is gone and snubbed Hearts on the way out. I rated him pretty well, but he isn't going to get any better. Anyone have opinions on the new signings?

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll start with the obvious. You're a weaker team at this minute in time with the loss of Fletcher and Jones. O'Brien is no big loss but I'm still a bit surprised Yantorno made no impact and was jettisoned.

I think Cregg and McBride were two of Falkirk's better players and Yogi obviously knows their strengths and limitations. Don't know anything about Galbraith.

I suppose now it's all down to how much Yogi is allowed to have to recruit with before the new season kicks off.

I wasn't aware Rosa had left.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Yeah, there needs to be some rebuilding. It's classic Hibs to me though--always a bunch of young guys trying to get up. They've done some hyping of Galbraith, but it means little to me. Jones has always frustrated me. He has obvious value, but I've always suspected he was a bit disruptive for a captain. My guess is that with Yogi as manager, we're probably about a wash with last year.

16. dhmf

dhmf New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Edinburgh
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I believe hibs have a good chance of finnishing 3rd this season, this isnt down to us having a brilliant team but more down to the fact the rest of the league is guff and hearts who came 3rd last season have been considerably weakened and a wouldnt be suprised if more leave. Obviously hibs have lost two big players in fletch and jones but with fletch leaving Riordan will be played in his correct position as a striker and i have know doubt will bang in 20 +. Jones going is the big worry though so Hughes must make replacing him a priority as hogg beside either Murray,Thicot or Mcormack wont do.

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Can we get a sweepstake up and running on how many times we see this headline over the course of the season -

Hibs discipline striker Riordan

Hibernian have disciplined striker Derek Riordan following an incident in Edinburgh over the weekend.

Again

Let me help fill in the blanks,

Grand Cru ... Garibaldi's ... Abuse ... Coppers ... lifted...

Some more info

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    My guess is the over/under for the season is about 3. It really is a shame. I wonder how good he would be if he had control over his life. I once got in a fight outside Grand Cru too, the others I need to get working on.

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I'd have thought that Yogi would be drumming it into him that with the sale of Fletcher this is his big chance to once again establish himself as one of the top talents in the Scottish game.

There's no denying he has the ability, in abundance, but is he ever going to learn to screw the nut...?

20. dhmf

dhmf New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Edinburgh
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yeh he is a total numpty who needs to grow up, scottish football seems to be full of them,one of the reasons we will be left behind by other leagues

21. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i see that benji's back. if he and zammama can get going, hibs could have a pretty decent team.

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    This season I think will come down to whether anyone forms a decent partnership with Bamba and whether anyone emerges as a decent keeper (snort). I think there are still plenty of pieces in place in the other positions to have a solid showing.

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    After reading this I quickly flicked over to the NSR drinking thread to see what you were consuming...

24. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    badadumpbump I'll be here all day folks

25. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Good win today despite some absences. Exciting start Wotherspoon got to his career.