Hey Joe............ Gomez

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Jun 20, 2015.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Most likely, I believe Ibe has one too.

4. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hopefully another Raheem Sterling, this time hopefully the club will be better positioned to retain him as an emerging star when the Citys of the world come calling. Because unless the club improves its standing, we will be a feeder club for the elite.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree

6. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so tired of the maudlin feeder group shite. In fifteen years we have lost four ( and now perhaps five) players we arguably wanted to keep. Owen, Torres, Alonso, Suarez and now Sterling. And only Owen and Sterling are clear cut. And we haven't lost Sterling yet. Torres might have been a case of selling at his peak and that we did a poor job of spending the money doesn't make it bad business. Suarez I don't know what happens if he doesn't bite Chiellini, and I am convinced that's why he bit him. We got a good deal there and with Alonso and as I pointed out with DeGea almost every club loses out when Barca and Real want to throw money at Spanish speaking players. Now we have the case of Sterling. Alonso is more of an own goal by Rafa but still it was to Real. That's hardly becoming a feeder club. In the last twenty years only Suarez and Alonso have left and done well.

I for one, setting aside Rodgers, still believe our great club is on the right path for sustainable success.

7. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't disagree, LB. I don't believe we are a feeder club. But I do worry we could become one if we don't get some of things we all know are wrong with the club sorted. LFC is way too big a club to fall into that status, but I will be concerned if some of our obvious shortcomings aren't addressed. I never, ever want to see the Aidy Wards of the world picking our bones.

8. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like your optimism, lb. As with a lot of our young players I think we have the potential to push on and we're at a bit of a cross roads at the moment. It wasn't that long ago that the club was close to folding under H & G and FSG has pulled us up from the mire of those days. Commercially we're doing really well and the stadium is being expanded so the business side seems quite healthy. The footballing part is still in a state of constant flux though imo . As good businessmen they are I'm still not sure if FSG has enough football savvy , experience . Not sure if the infrastructure at the club has enough football brains at the top to set us on the road for success.
    Its their club, their prerogative to stick with a young unproven manager, moneyball and a policy of buying young potential.
    Time will tell but I think this summer's transfer window is an important one for the club. The weaknesses which were apparent last year need to be addressed and if we do the potential to push on is certainly there.

9. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well said, speker. Over relying on "young high potential" is a concern. Promoting a talented young manager into a huge role with very little support infrastructure, then putting him under pressure when he cocks a few things up is a concern. Who's in place to mentor him? Ian Ayre? The mutual fund manager from Boston? Gimme (and Brendan) a break! Enough said about the scouting and recruiting. All fixable. But we need to get on with it.

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Everybody keeps talking about their lack of football experience.
    How many people honestly think they had real baseball experience before creating their success with the Sox? They saw potential in a team, when results didn't go the way they hoped they got rid of the leadership team and changed the systems and then experienced success. They then dipped in performance and blew up the team and management again and won the series.
    These guys aren't afraid to make changes if things arent moving in the direction they want.

That being said, Joe Gomez seems to hold a ton of potential and I wish him the best in Red.

12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like him already! :)

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he's can start challenging the current crop of defenders.

15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm thinking Rodgers will send him out on loan this season where he can get plenty of playing timeto aid his development. At Anfield right now his time would probably be limited.

16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This must surely be Toure's last year. And Skrtel is almost 31.

Illori and Gomez are the right age to develop over the next year or two and challenge for those vacancies.

imasyko repped this.
  17. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both John W. Henry and Tom Werner owned teams before the Red Sox (the Marlins in Henry's case; the Padres in Werner's case). They both made some mistakes in those initial ownerships, and no doubt learned from them. But, beyond that, they both understood baseball as a game far more than they understood football, and understood the structure of American sports when they bought the Red Sox far more than they understood the Premier League when they bought Liverpool.

FSG has been capable of disastrous mistakes with regard to the Red Sox--Bobby Valentine, anyone? (As a lifelong Mets fan, I could have told them that was a terrible idea). But they have a history with baseball that certainly was lacking with football when they purchased Liverpool, and thought they're now in their fifth year of ownership, they don't seem as interested in Liverpool as they do in the Red Sox and baseball.

Looking forward to seeing Gomez in red.

18. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    even before we signed him, people were raving about him. some top scout said he was the most complete english defender he has ever seen at his age.

i'm pretty sure we loan him this season, and hopefully to a premier league club.

jeffcoop repped this.
  19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Ilori needs to be loaned out to a English club whether at EPL or Championship level

20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or, you know, play for us...

LiverpoolFanatic and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  21. CelticRed

CelticRed Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Port Antonio, Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coates has made great strides too to add to CB options.

Today I see rumours about Mario Gomez possibly coming. Now he can score goals.

22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  23. CelticRed

CelticRed Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Port Antonio, Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team: