Hey AO, Where does the money go?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by UnionFreak1, May 28, 2012.

1. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty simple question. AO has over 6,500 members. Each members pays at least $20. So that's $130,000. We can assume that at least half of that is used in purchasing the mass amounts of t-shirts and bandannas. So that still leaves over $50,000. My simple question is, where does that extra money go? I understand that the company is a non-profit, but what are they doing with that extra money? I've always wanted to know. Thanks.

2. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be a lot of it goes to gameday/pregame events.

3. I don't speak for AO or for Korey and Justin, and I don't know what happens to the money, so this is just my guess/opinion.

Cost of gear is probably closer to 65% of dues, not 50%. Other items they have to cover are dead inventory (~10%), dues weren't always $20 (~15%), and promotional giveaways like bandanas and such, promoting the USMNT, the game, and the group (~5%). It is, by no means, as clean as "half of their revenue is costs."

So, it's my best guess that they only "make" about 10% of revenues, or about $13,000. (But it's probably less.) Over five years, split among 4-5 central leaders, they "make" about $520 per person per year. Minimum wage pays about $15,000 per year. If these guys pocket $10 a week, I'd say it's far, far less than what they've done for the game and for USMNT fandom.

But I'm pretty sure they don't pocket it. AO National also fronts all the money for tailgates, organized trips, etc., and absorbs any losses. I can absolutely confirm the fact that big events like those **REQUIRE** cash up-front. I think it's totally fair for the club to front the money, not those guys personally. That takes a "bank." I think it's totally appropriate for AO National to keep a "bank."

I'm sure your motivation for asking is innocent, but I just have to say that a) these guys are beyond reproach as people; b) they have done so much for the game and US fandom that, if they chose to take a salary or fee, I would have no problem with it; and ...

... c) there are ass-faces out there who will not be satisfied with any explanation or level of transparency, and are just more interested in tearing down stuff and creating discord and divisiveness than they are in what happens to the money. Questions like this only encourage those ass-faces.

I am absolutely sure my guesses and opinions are not 100% right, so if you want to pick apart my guesses/opinions, feel free, but just know that it's me you're picking apart (which is fine), not the AO way of doing business (which means you're just guessing, too).

Ask the leaders via email, if you really want to know. But this is a very old and tired topic on the BS boards, and IMHO, are better asked directly to the leaders in a less public forum with far fewer ass-faces around.

My $0.02.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Dallas, good stuff , u took the high road. The original post is not only in the wrong forum, but is nothing more than bottom feeding. Bush league at best. If the intent was curiosity then send an email to AO directly and not some lame passive-aggresive post in the fans/travel section.

Moving on.......

Mikeymike15 repped this.