He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lol them bandwagon warriors fans gonna be here after the Quakes get the ship.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll watch later, but I’m gonna quote the kid toward the end of “The Incredibles”, and say “THAT WAS AWESOME!” Thanks for sharing.

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody who is less lazy than me and better at math do the calculations on how many more goals Wondo needs to have more just for the Earthquakes than LD's 145 for his career...

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe it is two.

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo already has the record, 144 for one team, the Quakes. That might be the one most hard to break, due to the transitory nature of player movement, across football/soccer leagues around the world. Especially, MLS.

7. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That dynamics have changed so much in MLS, I'm not sure this record will be broken for sometime. Anyone good and consistent enough will find greener pastures.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially considering how many of Baby Judas' goals were scored for the fallacy.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2019-5-18_22-24-25.png

10. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was awesome to be there, might have to convert the button pins to kitchen magnets.

He needs to score a bunch more if he wants to hold the record for a long time. All records fall eventually but honestly it's not out of the realm of possibility for Kei Kamara to get 150 goals...

11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They definitely looked awful today, but hadn't given up a goal in 3 prior matches including one against LAFC, and on the season were one of the best defensive teams up to this point.

Quakes have had some good home success against the Fire, including this game, the 5-0 win where Yannick Djalo went off, and Lenny wig night.

MtnGardener repped this.
  12. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Congrats Wondo,

What a great way to beat the record

13. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you missed this:

I don't mind the lowball guesses. The great ones always seem to surprise us again and again. And for the record, I love trash poacher's goals!

xbhaskarx and tenfourteen repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why they created a new hashtag #WondoWatched. Every goal he scores from now will be a new record and people will still keep watching presumably. They should just stick with #WondoWatch....

16. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerMan94043 and tenfourteen repped this.
  17. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, someone posted about the Quakes using the hashtag #WondoWatched instead of #WondoWatch.
    i just realized, I guess once Wondo broke the record, then in the Quakes' eyes, WondoWatch is over?
    Because otherwise they would have to keep making pins...

I'm going to ask my rep, but has anyone else asked about this yet?

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found my answer on an apr-2019 SKC webpage
    • In a departure from past seasons, fans now have a say in the selection of MLS Player of the Week.

• Supporters can show their Sporting colors today and #VoteGerso using the hashtag on Twitter, with fan votes accounting for 25% of the weighted MLS Player of the Week ballot. Votes casted by North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) will make up the other 75% of the vote.

21. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually replied (pasted below) directly to one of @SJEarthquakes tweet where they used #WondoWatched

"Shouldn't it still be #WondoWatch? Every goal he scores will be another record and presumably people are not done watching"

It's an unfortunate choice when the job really isn't done....

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Athletic story on Wondo's "signature achievement" (Behind paywall.)

. . .you’ve probably already made up your mind about Chris Wondolowski, and that his setting the MLS scoring record does little to shift your perception. Even those who barely follow soccer may snarl at the mere mention of Wondo’s name.

To the vast majority of American sports fans, Wondolowski will forever be remembered first and foremost for his stoppage-time miss against Belgium in the Round of 16 of the 2014 World Cup. That the USMNT missed the most recent addition seems to have only increased the vitriol for the man who could have fired them into the quarterfinals four years prior. All this time later, type his name into Google, and the first auto-fill option remains “Chris Wondolowski miss.”

I ask you to consider Wondo anew. Having grinded his way to such an incredible accomplishment, see him through the fresh eyes of his young pupils, rather than distorted lens of fandom.

You may never like Wondolowski, but trace the full arc of his remarkable, Shakespearean career, and you might come to begrudgingly respect him – and offer a muted cheer rather than a grunt now that he has an all-time record to his name . . .

https://theathletic.com/984331/2019...-its-signature-achievement/?source=dailyemail

DotMPP repped this.
  23. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MtnGardener, due time and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    People need to get over that 2014 miss. Wondo didn’t get many chances, and yes, he blew his biggest one, get over it. He is the undisputed all time goal scoring king, an MLS legend! There’s only one!

It’s kind of annoying that people need to even keep bringing that up after he just becomes the greatest goal scorer the league has ever seen, and it’s not just that, Wondo is everything you’d want in a teammate and as a fan, he’s classy, approachable and a true competitor who cares deeply about his club, plays his heart out...he has stuck with San Jose through thick and thin (mostly thin) and never uttered a disparaging word despite what must’ve been a terrible environment, especially last year. He plays with fire and passion and embodies everything it means to be a Quakes player. He’s a a superstar and it’s been our good fortune to have him here, playing in San Jose, he’s been the saving grace over all these years of otherwise uninspiring footy.

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I call it the "Polly effect". People will see or hear something, and it ends up getting passed around, repeated ad nauseam (deliberate word choice), and accepted as truth. Unfortunately, for most people who know little and care less about soccer, all they've ever seen about Wondo is that miss.

Quakes05 repped this.