He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I read that as 86 :p

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He looked 86 last nigh.....

Pretty soon its going to be 86 out the club

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Exactly! I was just saying that to my daughter. Although one of those has to be not a kickoff, but maybe an immediate pass-back after kickoff? Still. Not one was a pass he was calling for. You have to try it, you just don't know if he can make something of it. He is crafty and you have to give him a couple chances to make something the way he wants.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
  6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, we all know that when teammates don't pass someone the ball, it's because they think it will be a waste of time. Or because Wondo isn't getting himself open enough for anyone to pass him the ball.

tvromero repped this.
  7. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Wondo did spend a lot of time standing offside by a foot. I was very frustrated with him throughout the game because of the number of times that I felt a teammate checked him but knew they couldn't pass to him. He seemed to be intentionally keeping himself a foot offside. I know he has made a living like that, but it does take away the quick pass. But there were enough that could have been taken. And there is also that moment when the attacker pulls his leg way back for a long pass and the defender immediately steps back in reaction and puts you onside. You have to try it.

mjlee22 repped this.
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2784 falvo, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Figured these posts belong here...

You actually believe someone will pay a 37 year old Wondo $800k next season? I mean there may be room for him on a club as there was for Alan Gordon but for that salary in this league, I doubt someone would pay that fee.

I do have a feeling though, Wondo could still play another year or so but I just don't think many teams will pay that salary at that age.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cincinnati could have used him the other night. Wonder how much they're paying their coach from that game not to coach going forward.

Wondo is a bargain.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's true that Wondo would likely make a better coach than Alan Koch

Scott Rohde repped this.
  12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    OK, that was clever.

13. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Quakes fans/supporters should revere Chris Wondolowski among the pantheon of great players who’ve toiled for this Quakes team. Mitjic, Child, Rowland, Hewitt, Moore, the Demling Brothers...the list is long for us oldtimers.
    I’m thankful he has a chance to reach the summit of all time league scoring leader.
    Hope he makes it. I think it’ll be a very awesome moment in US soccer history.
    Support the Captain!

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every single Quakes fan supports Wondo and is rooting for him to break the record. And he will likely do so. Eventually. Might be on a penalty kick.

But he's just no longer a quality player at MLS level. Sad but true. It happens to every athlete. Father time is undefeated.

We can all spout meaningless BS about how he's going to get 10,000 more goals, but reality is reality. What's written here has no effect on game outcomes.

It would be interesting to see what other people think regarding how many more non-PK regular season goals Wondo will score over the rest of his MLS career. Trying to get as close as possible to the actual number, no extra points for putting out the highest number, that does not make you a "better fan" :rolleyes:... And no excuses about playing time, 1 vs 2 forward systems, forward competition, who the coach is, refereeing decisions, chances created, or how well the team is playing. The number of Wondo non-PK MLS regular season goals post 5/7/19 will be what it will be.

I'll say 3 (plus however many PKs)

Anyone else want to throw out a number?

15. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Age has a brutal way of reminding us we are getting old. I’m just hoping his name tops the all time list of league goal scorers, someday.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't follow the Quakes, but is it the case of your current roster of strikers are better than Wondo or has he just drastically fallen in the pecking order?

How many goals is he from the record?

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Wondo continues to get only token minutes, and retires after this season, he probably doesn't score more than two more non-PK goals. If, on the other hand, he decides to continue his career elsewhere as a starter in a traditional 4-4-2 (or variation which doesn't employ a lone striker) for two or three more years, he will probably net another 15 goals or more. I do not believe he's yet diminished by age. The supposed evidence otherwise from his starts the first few games is inconclusive, at best.

jetdog9 repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One from tying, two from breaking.

19. BIGBADMIKE

BIGBADMIKE Member

Nov 4, 2003
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof that we should go back to the old logo!

bsman, DotMPP and Seismothusiast repped this.
  21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point there is only one other forward on the roster, Hoesen, who gets playing time and the current system is to play a lone forward. Hoesen can hold up the ball much better than Wondo, who's first touch to hold the ball has practically disappeared. There are others listed as forwards but start at midfielder positions (Erikson & Espinosa) and there is a young pup, Cowell, who looks like he has a good future but only got minutes in a friendly at this time.

So Hoeson is faster and can hold the ball up. He gets the nod. He seems to be unable to head a ball on goal though, instead trying to re-position himself to always make a play with his feet. Wondo can score (or miss) with whatever is the closest weapon (either foot, head, thigh...) he has.

22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole team was not good the first 4 games and Wondo shared in that... but he was not getting any service, Espinoza said as much in an interview. With more minutes now that the team is headed in the right direction, he would score goals in the run of play. But Hoesen is better at this point... staying with the current formation Wondo is not going to get tons of minutes without injuries, suspensions, or 3-game weeks. There is still 2/3 of the season to go for him to score 2 goals, I'll put my money on that happening.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    3 is probably about right on the money, but I'm going to be cruel and say 2. I just don't think he's going to see the field much, in part because I think the team is going to acquire another forward midseason.

24. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    In the sub role he has gotten several chances and basically whiffed on them all so I don't think service is an issue.

I really hope we get into a position where we are middle of the pack in the playoff hunt and he can get some starter minutes to give others rest.

Anyways I will go with 4 since 2 and 3 are already taken but I don't like my chances. I just want him to get his two and then this whole thing can be put to rest.

In addition I am not sure he heads to another team, just don't see the reasoning in that decision.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo does not reason like other players, or he would not be his own agent, and he would be paid a lot more than he is right now. But any other player in his position would demand a trade, receive it, and go on to score a lot more goals. Because he's far from washed up.

Seismothusiast repped this.