He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    And yet, more Legend:

Top Global Tweets
    [​IMG]
    Robert Jonas
    @robertjonas | 3,736 followers
    Activity Map Analyse Visualise Alert
    Looking at the #MLSDecisionDay scoreboard and seeing the Dynamo win, I'm reminded of something #Quakes74 captain Chris Wondolowski said back in March when Zlatan signed with LA: “I hope he helps the Galaxy finish seventh." Mission: Accomplished. centerlinesoccer.com/2018/3/24/1715…

[​IMG]
    Earthquakes DPs Wondolowski, Eriksson react to Zlatan Ibrahimovic joining LA Galaxy
    centerlinesoccer.com

about 18 hours ago · Twitter Web Client · en

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1056678444338036736

SoccerMan94043 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to miss the entertainment value that Zlatan brought to MLS. Rumor is that he’s not sticking around...

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I have a feling he will be gone soon. I don't think he is too happy. He didn't seem to be yesterday. He is use to huge crowds and big clubs. He also doesn't like the turf. I'm thinking he will go back to a big club that is making a Champions or Europa League run who needs a goal scorer.

4. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we have to wait until next season for 145 and 146... I bet the league schedules the Quakes' first 4 games at home...

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they don't and I bet they don't. Wondo may not even be a starter under the new coach. And even if Wondo is a starter there in no guarantee he will score two goals in the first 4 games.Why would the league cater to something they have no control over? Do you really think they care that much when and where the record is broken? And personally, I would rather see us have our last 4 games of the season at home!

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes are going to, as per usual, get lots of early home games in 2019 because the weather is nice here in March, and it's not so nice in many places around the league. Same as it ever was, and until further notice, unless climate change. :)

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah - I love the Wondo respect from our club and the league... but the whole "Wondo Watch" is actually just frustrating. We've watched our hero be such a martyr, really, to the Quakes ownership's cynical, small team strategy. They have used Wondo SO HARD to keep our loyalty because this season, once again, there was so little to hang our hat on. We have literally found communal comfort and therapeutic chuckles from securing the Wooden Spoon. Other than that it's been all Wondo and only Wondo.

He should be able to retire as a Quakes player when he feels damn well ready - then have a job on the Quakes technical side. With like a WONDOMOBILE. And if for some reason that doesn't work out, he should be offered a Frankie Hejduk type community relations gig - Lord knows he's been doing that for years to keep core fans in love with the team.

Sarkar and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I also had a bit of a bad taste in my mouth with all this "Wondo Watch" deal at Avaya when the team was doing so horribly. Wondo was also quoted as saying he doesn't want "charity" appearances for the sake of the record.

He deserves to break the record under the bright lights and not under some heavy cloud as we have been since April...

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    lazlo325 repped this.
  10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sounds to me like some poor, underpaid editor had to let one slip, if the Orion even pays any editors at all.

11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple other typos, like the number of goals scored in 2018, unless the article was published before the season was over.

Funny thing... when I first saw the link in post here, I thought it was the Onion.

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From the article:

. . . “To a man everybody is excited for the new identity and the new mentality that all of us have and we’re rejuvenated for the season,” Wondolowski said during San Jose's media day on Wednesday.

With the team admittedly not on the same page during a 2018 campaign . . . the longtime Quakes captain is all-in on Almeyda and his vision of bringing the team together as one.

“A lot of it has to do with bringing the best out yourself and also the unity. The mentality of no cliques and everybody coming together and having that brotherhood is the basic message,” Wondolowski explained. . . .

(Emphasis added).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Every player says that about their new coach. What else can he say?

The Quakes captain is all-OUT on Almeyda and doesn't believe he has vision of bringing the team together as one?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Show me a similar quote from a Quakes player before the preseason in 2018.

Wondo specifically references "no cliques," which is a clear allusion to the existence of them last season.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks for the link. X posted on page 10 this article on last year's camp opening, which includes a quote from Wondo:

. . .Stahre is expected to provide stability after a turbulent 2017, when the Quakes installed new faces as team president, general manager and coach (twice).

“He’s very organized,” Wondolowski said. “I love his attitude, his energy about it, just everything about it so far.” . . .

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...tahre-opens-camp-organized-energetic-approach

Positive comment from Wondo. But substantively very different.

18. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would sure like to know more about all these cliques from last year.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LOL , does Wondo still think this about Stahre?

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Happy 36th Birthday Wondo! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great article by Colin Etnire. Probably best thing he's ever written.

. . . The thing [Wondo] has, and the thing that is so breathtakingly beautiful for the purists who have had the pleasure of watching him, is a preternatural ability to find himself unmarked in scoring positions when receiving the ball. The uncanny urge to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time, long before anyone else has noticed, least of all the defenders tasked with marking him. It’s the same skill that Wayne Gretzky had. It’s a rare form of spatial genius that separates the lunch-pail pros from the all-time greats. . . .

https://quakesepicenter.com/2019/03/01/you-dont-deserve-wondo/