He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if after the LA bro hug amongst the hail of flying tomatoes, Baby Judas presents Wondo with a Los Angeles Galaxy Commemorative Plaque for breaking the record? :eek:

And not long afterward, what if the photo of Wondo's record-breaking goal hanging forevermore in the National Soccer Hall of Fame shows him wearing a Galaxy uniform? :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm saving them for the VAR dude.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only two more pk's for Wondo! :thumbsup:

4. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one that that bothers me is back in 2012, when Morrow took a step into the box early, Wondo had to re-take a PK that he initially made, and the second attempt was saved. It was super ticky-tacky by the ref, but also a mistake by Morrow, plus Wondo missed the second one... but ugh. If he'd made that, he would have had the record to himself for ~6 years.

The consistency is amazing. Naysayers will say his record is sort of "Crash Davis" because he wouldn't make it in higher leagues and thus stayed in MLS. I think back in the 2011-2015 time frame he would have scored a ton no matter where he was.

The guy is indestructible, you really see the value of a player like him who can get so much out of himself without just flat out speed like many forwards reply on. Less injuries... more time on the field... more goals. But even injured, Wondo soldiers on. Remember, the year he only scored 11, he was playing on a broken foot. FOOT. In soccer!

I really wish he'd scored 2 on Saturday to at least tie, because I can't make the Colorado game.

lazlo325 and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  5. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo quote on the double-digit goals streak vs the all-time record:

On nine straight seasons of 10+ goals:

“To be honest, I know there’s that big number that everyone keeps asking about, but to be honest, this is the one I really wanted. Obviously, I want to get a couple more, but to have double-digit goals means a lot right now and I’m hoping to have one again next year. It’s pretty cool. It shows how good my teammates have been and also a little luck to stay healthy, but I appreciate the many teammates I’ve had through those nine years.”

6. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he scores 10+ goals again next year, that'd be 10 straight years. That'd be a formidable record....

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd like to see Wondo in Matías Almeyda's system to see how he would do. Advanced age or not, I'm thinking Stahre wanted to phase him out more than anyone else....

lazlo325 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick pop quiz, Falvo, how many of his goals this year were pk's?

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure. Is there a statistic that keeps track of pks?

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think his next two goals will be PK's?

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mostly because he is always in the bench and he won’t have many other opportunities to score if they aren’t PK’s.

Also , that is the easiest way to score. Many goalscorers score their milestone goal from the spot kick.

12. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Falvo's poking at Wondo so much with the PK count as the entire team... if we can't get Wondo the ball in the box he's not going to score. Look at his number of shots this season, so low.

For the record, 3 of his 10 goals so far this season are PK goals. He is 3/4 on PKs this season... but the one he missed, he got the tap-in off the rebound I believe. So maybe you can say 3.5 of his goals this season.... :)

Career-wise, 25 PK goals up to this point, vs Landon Donovan's 31 all time.

To Falvo's point... I was in the stadium in LA when Donovan scored the USMNT all-time leading goal... on a PK. Against Sweden, how about that?

falvo, tenfourteen and xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You assume there will be pk opportunities when he is on the field. He did miss out on several when he wasn't on the field.

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    What a god. 'Cause he's not just reading a script - somehow he's demonstrated this attitude every (mostly agonizing) step of the way.

lazlo325 repped this.
  15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    #2690 Honore de Ballsac, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    I dunno, I'd say Jesse wanted to phase him out. "Euro" is Jesse's secret sauce. Or rather Not American /International Man of Mystery.

What was the Yank count out there between the worst team in the league and the best?*

Then remember Red Bull were without lock-starter Tyler Adams, while we were giving rare starts to TT and Jackson.

*Yeah, I know Red Bull is one point behind Atlanta for Supporters Shield - and just kicked their butts with more homegrowns filling in for their missing two best players!

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He won't score either if he isn't on the field. So its either a pk in mop up duty or from the field. Therefore, let's hope he at least gets a pk which will is still much easier than scoring from the field.

17. elhula

elhula Member

Apr 18, 2007
    san jose
    Not a huge surprise but I spoke to an Extremely good source yesterday Wondo has agreed to terms for next year and will definitely be staying. He will retire and move into a coaching role after next year.

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    his 100th was a pk, at Levi's.

falvo repped this.
  19. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Glad to hear Wondo is coming back, I think me very well might thrive under the new regime.

20. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    He not me.

21. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want him to get two against Colorado to tie and then break the record (and to do it at Avaya). Then get one in Seattle so he can go into next season with no pressure on him.

bsman repped this.
  22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think Wondo being the Team First person that he is will not be a DP next season, but be paid right at the limit so the Team can add another DP other than him.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Many goalscorers s ore their milestone goals on pk’s.

Ilija Mitic scored his 100th on a pk and Pele scored his 1000th that way. This is nothing new. For Wondo getting 3 this season is s Rialto pretty good as he has had what is for him, a bad year. His play though has been a reflection of the club who have played poorly all season. Not playing consistently also hasn’t helped.

As far as Stahre phasing him out, he stated before the season that he admired his intensity in training even though he is getting older. That will mostly tell you how he wasn’t going to play or start him each game and he didn’t.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re-posting for clarity......

Many goalscorers score their milestone goals on pk’s.

Ilija Mitic scored his 100th on a pk and Pele scored his 1000th that way. This is nothing new. For Wondo getting 3 this season is pretty good as he has had what is for him, a bad year. His play though has been a reflection of the club who have played poorly all season. Not playing consistently also hasn’t helped.

As far as Stahre phasing him out, the coach actually stated before the season that he admired his intensity in training even though he is getting older. That will mostly tell you how he wasn’t going to play or start him each game and he didn’t.

Not sure how much money management will give Wondo. Even though he deserves it, I can’t see them giving him another DP contract. Not even If it’s only for one season....

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And many don't. Ibra recently scored his 500th. it was not a pk. For every example you give of a milestone goal being a pk you can find even more not being pk's.
    For clarity, a little over 17% of Wondo's goals have come from pk's. This year it is 30%. Could Wondo score his milestone goal(s) on a pk? Certainly! However, statistically speaking, he has a greater chance of doing it from the field of play.