He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo is suddenly exactly on pace to score a dozen goals for the season and thereby break Landon's record by a single goal before the end of the year.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    We are pushing him over the finish line by giving him all the PK's :). I'm OK with it, but would rather he was banging in most of his goals "the old-fashioned way" (and actually I think 4 of his 6 this year are non-PK). Last time Eriksson was "fouled" in the box, he got to take the PK. This time, both on Eriksson's and Hoesen's penalty, Wondo got to take it. I think the FO wants to get this thing over with. Or at least get it to a point where they can really start hyping it.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope Wondo gets enough pk's to beat LAndy! :thumbsup:

4. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's 3 or 4 PKs iirc. and the reason the time Eriksson took the PK was because Wondo was on the bench.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks to the sleuths on Quakes' reddit board for unearthing the data to show that, excluding penalty kick goals, Wondo is already the all-time leader among MLS players. He already leads Donovan 116 to 114. (Donovan had 31 PKs among 145, while Wondo only has 24 among his 140). So, even if every Wondo goal from here on is from the spot, Wondo is the GOAT.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/alltime

Sactown Soccer and TBPride repped this.
  6. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    It will be interesting to see how they record his first goal last Saturday. Since, by the Laws of the Game, a Penalty Kick is a restart, then the ball is in play once it is kicked forward toward the goal. That kick was saved by Bingham. But, of course, since the PK is a restart, play continues and Wondo scores on the rebound.

In my book, that should be recorded as a PK saved by Bingham and a goal scored by Wondo in the "run of play".

lazlo325 repped this.
  7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is correct.

lazlo325 repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow, that's cool!

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I guess that would explain why he's listed with 2 PK goals this season (think he had another one outside of the clasico). That is according to whoscored.

Honestly it's kind of a cheap way to get a "run of play" goal. I mean the opportunity came about because he had a not so great PK (which he did not earn) blocked, But I'm not going to complain knowing that Wondo's already passed Donovan in non-PK goals.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sweet mural outside of Jack's (Japantown).

[​IMG]

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is awesome! See everybody there at 4:30 p.m. today.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Completed mural.

Jack's mural Wondo completed.jpg

falvo, Beckham7, tectonicnight and 2 others repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Great! And great image of Wondo. That is a classic pose. Kind of his mad / glad celebratory pose.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's his, "Dammit Garza, why didn't you pass me the f***ing ball" pose.

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well that too. It's multi-purpose.

16. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beerking repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, there is absolutely no chance Alashe came into the Team Building, received his daily groin injury treatment, and then left before any reporter/media showed up? Does not seem that far out of the realm of being possible.

I know it's all the rage here to dump on the team for very perceived injustice they may have committed, but, I can remember when there were people posting here lambasting the Quakes for the (assumed) mistreatment of Marvell Wynne, which turned out to be totally without merit, with Wynne saying, 'the Quakes have been the good guys here".

I am not saying the Quakes are necessarily the good guys here, but, it is totally conceivable that Alashe had left the building before the media bothered to show up.

SalinasQuakesFan, DotMPP and Beckham7 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Even if the injury stories are entirely true, and they may very well might be, there are still issues with the game management.

1) Why did Godoy have to call out to be subbed 3 or 4 times, and only after the 4th time they subbed him? Why were they trying to make him stay in the game? He's not helping the team at that point. You aren't doing any good "saving a sub" for a handful more minutes.

2) Clearly there was a miscommunication between Alashe and the coaching / training staff. Stahre says:

Then, just before I went out of the locker room – I was alone in the locker room at that point – they called that we have to change [from Alashe]. So I told him you have to give us just a few minutes to prepare, so he was aware of that.”

If Alashe knew all about the plan, why was he surprised and angry to be pulled off the field?

But the greater issue with Stahre is - 2 wins in 19 games. I haven't seen basic game management issues to this point other than what to me is very frustrating substitution decisions - not the mechanics of getting the players on and off, where there were issues in this game, but just who are the subs and when.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is probably what happened. However, injured players usually stay for the entire practice because ........team. The press gets access to the players as soon as practice ends.

But this week, Alashe is long gone. A coincidence?

From the Merc: “We will never withhold a player from having the opportunity to speak to the media nor will we script what they have to say,” the GM said. “On the contrary, we trust in our players. We know they care about the team and their teammates.”

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Funny thing, that quote coming out after both issues were discussed on our boards, Jesse must have people reading our posts. ;)

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2546 JazzyJ, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    I would say Flo's quotes don't show care for his teammates. He is publicly saying that they are not good enough to compete in MLS. That's why I wish Jesse had shown more backbone and come out against those kinds of comments.

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    God - all of this so reminds me of Tom Tomorrow:

[​IMG]

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are you saying he is incapable of reading these boards on his own? :)

DotMPP and Beerking repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My guess is that Jesse explained this to Flo privately in non-confrontational way, and that he is publicly circling the wagons.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I hope so.