Heritage Cup

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by NedZ, Mar 17, 2011.

1. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Some of you may have stumbled on to the 27-page thread about the Heritage Cup on the MLS Clubs: Earthquakes forum which stretched on after the Timbers supporters group respectfully declined an invitation to participate in 2011 (as did the Vancouver group). As an Earthquake fan, I remain hopeful that these groups might consider joining in for the 2012 season after getting a year in the league under their belts.

As for 2011: Rob Stevenson posted this on the Quakes forum:

"I am pleased to announce the 2011 edition of the Heritage Cup, which will be contested between Seattle Sounders FC and the San Jose Earthquakes. San Jose will host the cup holders on April the 2nd and Seattle will host on October the 15.

The 2011 competition rules can be found on the Heritage Cup page. I am also pleased to announce a call for entries for the 2011 Heritage Cup Poster Contest."

Anyone can enter the poster contest and possibly win $250, not just San Jose fans, so check it out if you have some artistic talent:
    http://www.ssvcf.org/heritagecup2011contest.html

2. furball

furball Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda liked the idea till that Bright character intervened. Any thing he supports must be total shit. Thanks though!

3. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I appreciate the humor, and the fact that you took a look at the Heritage Cup thread. And based on the postings there by Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland fans I can see that MLS is in for some real rivalries that don't have to be manufactured by the league.

However, I wouldn't want Soccer Silicon Valley Community Foundation (the nonprofit grassroots volunteer Quakes fan group that helped make the Heritage Cup a reality) to inadvertently come off negatively through my posts to any Timbers fans who may not be aware of our group here in San Jose. Please check us out at www.ssvcf.org to see what we are about. (Our SSVCF motto is "Building Community Through Soccer" which relates directly to the Heritage Cup).

4. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    If there had been open communication and consensus building instead of threats and closed mindness, the situation may have turned out differently. It's unfortunate.

5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    (If anyone is interested, on the Earthquakes site the Heritage Cup discussion thread was closed and now there is a new thread called The Heritage Cup 2011 where the conversation can be continued.I just posted this on that thread and thought the idea might appeal to some of you if you favor any alternate formats):

In the previous Heritage Cup thread, Threeapples wrote:

" My suggestion is to make the Heritage Cup a boxing-style challenge-based trophy."

Seraphim wrote:

"If Portland, San Jose, Seattle and Vancouver are all in the Heritage Cup, then here are the potential Heritage Cup games occurring during the regular season (all listed PST as we are all located on the West Coast):

Saturday, April 2nd
    7:30pm San Jose vs. Seattle @ Buck Shaw Stadium
    Wednesday, May 11th
    7:00pm Vancouver vs. San Jose @ Empire Field
    Saturday, May 14th
    8:00pm Seattle vs. Portland @ Qwest Field
    Saturday, June 11th
    7:30pm Seattle vs. Vancouver @ Qwest Field
    Sunday, July 10th
    5:00pm Portland vs. Seattle @ PGE Park
    Wednesday, July 20th
    7:00pm San Jose vs. Vancouver @ Buck Shaw Stadium
    Saturday, August 6th
    7:30pm San Jose vs. Portland @ Buck Shaw Stadium
    Saturday, August 20th
    7:00pm Portland vs. Vancouver @ PGE Park
    Wednesday, September 21st
    7:30pm Portland vs. San Jose @ PGE Park
    Saturday, September 24th
    7:30pm Vancouver vs. Seattle @ Empire Field
    Sunday, October 2nd
    1:30pm Vancouver vs. Portland @ BC Place
    Saturday, October 15th
    7:30pm Seattle vs. San Jose @ Qwest Field"

We will have the actual 2011 Cup using last year's format between Seattle and San Jose which will have the HC awarded to one or the other at year's end. I am curious to see how Threeapples's idea might look if Portland and Vancouver had joined in this season and we had the boxing format.

Therefore, as a sort of living laboratory, if Threeapples or Seraphim (or anyone else) is willing to make the effort, I propose a "Fantasy 2011 Heritage Cup Table" be kept. That is, after each of the games listed above, keep track of who might have taken or defended the Heritage Cup at any one time. Post the results in this thread, and I will repost it in the Heritage Cup threads on the sites of the other three cities.

That might also give us an idea of how many times it would have to be hauled to a different city and presented to the winner or brought back home and what logistics or Supporters Groups/Front Office cooperation might be needed. A sort of dry run in case we actually use it next year.

6. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
  7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Photo of the Cup (with a few ribbons added on) at:
    http://www.ssvcf.org/heritagecup.html

8. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After Saturday night's draw between Seattle and San Jose, the Cup will be decided near the end of the season when the Quakes travel to Seattle. A Sounders win keeps the Cup in Seattle until next year. Seattle's two away goals mean the Quakes most likely must win to get back the Cup.

If Portland and Vancouver had been included and we used a "boxing " setup, Seattle would still have the Cup after Saturday's game until May 14. They play you that day, which means a Timbers win would be required to take the Cup to Oregon. Your July 10 rematch would then have become the next opportunity for the Cup to change hands.

9. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It's not polite to double post.

10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My apologies if I have offended. I don't want to be an obnoxious troll, I just want to keep potential participants updated to aid making informed future decisions. The mod should delete if I overstep.

11. roboatse

roboatse Member

Oct 4, 2010
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is obvious you weren't the one trolling there.

12. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Dude replied to his own thread five times in a row on the Whitecaps forum. Ounce of prevention pound of cure.

Timbers are not a participant in this cup. It's not relevant on this forum. Still if JVC is cool with this I'll shut up and go dip my balls in vinegar.

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man Douche FTW!

I don't really think it's a big thing. It'll be interesting in the end I suppose. As long as people aren't asses, all's well.

14. yabollox

yabollox New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    wow, i cant believe this topic is still going...good job to all.

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Censoring emptiness is kind of weak.

16. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the recent 1-1 draw between the Timbers and the Sounders, Seattle would still hold the Cup. Next up for them would be their June 11th game against Vancouver.

17. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Cascadia Cup

PORTLAND... 0-1-0 1-1 1
    SEATTLE.... 0-1-0 1-1 1
    VANCOUVER.. 0-0-0 0-0 0

Accept no substitute.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I thought away goals is the tiebreaker:p

20. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Don't ask them to commit to much. They just make it up as they go along.

21. usuck

usuck Red Card

May 17, 2011
    Mod note: What's it like to be a coward?

22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes