Here Is Where They Should Build The New Stadium In Austin

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Nov 3, 2017.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    The Austin Independent School District (AISD) owns a big plot of land in the Sunset Valley neighborhood of South Austin. There is currently an old, run down high school football stadium on the site called Toney Burger Stadium. The location is at the nexus of three different highways: 290, Mopac (1) and 360. Here is a map of the location:

https://www.austintexas.org/listings/toney-burger-activity-center-and-stadium/5738/

Precourt Sports Ventures has already said they will privately finance the new stadium. They are not asking for taxpayer handouts. If AISD can get an agreement that allows them to play a limited number of high school football games in the new stadium I can't imagine they would object to tearing down the old building. There are several advantages to building the new stadium at this site:

- Austin is a car-oriented city. There isn't much mass transit. This is the only location in the city that offers easy access from three different highways.

- Since there is already a stadium in that space, there is plenty of parking.

- I don't think there would be much objection from the local community to building a new stadium at this site.

The one disadvantage to building there is that it's not downtown. Precourt Sports Ventures has said they want to be in the urban core, although they haven't specified what they consider to be the core. A downtown location for the new stadium would be nice, but parking downtown would be a problem. If this were a mass-transit city, downtown would be preferable. But this isn't a mass-transit city. I think the Toney Burger Stadium location is their best option.

2. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Alternatively

[​IMG]

3. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Here's a better location:

[​IMG]

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, alternatively, may I suggest up your ass?

5. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wait, I thought Precourt and his goons wanted to move Columbus to Austin because Austin is "Millennial".

Car-oriented is the exact opposite of Millennial.

6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    [​IMG]

They can stick it on the median of the Mopac. It even has a right proper rail stop.

Beerking, ElJefe and the cup repped this.
  7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respectfully, I disagree that driving access is good to the Burger Center. That part of town is incredibly congested and difficult to get around in. All traffic, 100% of it, will have to come through the intersection of 71 and Brodie which is already congested all-day. Much of that traffic will have to do two u-turns to get there. While a small amount of East bound traffic will be able to get out using Earnest Robles to the one freeway entrance in the area, the fast majority will go onto the 71 access road to the light at Westgate. If they don't u-turn, they have multiple lights ahead of them before they find an entrance to a freeway.

Then again, the traffic may not be as bad as I imply because the crowds that will go there for an MLS game might be quite small. A large crowd (15,000+) would be FUBAR traffic.

I also mention that the Burger Center is not in Austin. It is in the small enclave town of Sunset Valley. So you will be dealing solely with AISD. Not impossible but good luck with that. And clearly does not fit the profile they seek.

8. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  9. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  10. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  11. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So cute, Columbus had no choice about dealing with this lowlife, but you kids are jumping in with both feet. Good luck with that.

stanger repped this.
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is history Precourt doesnt understand and can't buy.

If the move happens, I think it won't, have fun with this soulless venture capitalist absentee owner. His club will be a plastic as he is.

jayd8888 repped this.
  14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please forward photo to Taylor Twellman’s ESPN Twitter account.

stanger repped this.
  15. ScootiePippin

ScootiePippin Red Card

Liverpool
    United States
    Dec 5, 2017
    San Antonio, TX