Herbert Robinson Garcia @ Tampico Madero (Loan from Santos Laguna)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Feb 15, 2013.

1. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From USAprospects:
    Confirmed: '96 Herbert Robinson Garcia, an offensive midfielder with Santos Laguna U17 is Mexican-American.​
    Roster page from Santos
    He is a listed by the club as Mexican and born in Mexico. Perhaps he has an American parent.
    He is playing with the Santos u20 squad at the Viareggio Tournament in Italy.
    -He started all 3 of their matches, playing the full 90 in 2 of them.

ielag and Testudo repped this.
  2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    How many is that at santos now. It seems there were 2 new ones in the last week.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Now here's to you Herbert Robinson...

4. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the roster page prowazekii posted:

Nombre:Herbert Robinson
    Posición:Medio
    Numero:89
    Estatura:1.81
    Peso:68
    Fecha de Nacimiento:10/04/1996
    Lugar de Nacimiento:Monclova, Coah.
    Nacionalidad:Mexicana
    Formación:Deportivo Colegio Guanajuato
    Debut:28/08/2010
    Partido Debut:Colegio Guanajuato vs Cocula
    Trayectoria:
    Deportivo Colegio Guanajuato 3a. Div. (2010-2011), Santos Laguna Sub 15-17-20 (2011-)

[​IMG]
    http://imago7.org/fotos/apertura_2012_liga_mx_sub_17/cuartos_de_final/monterrey_vs_santos

7/21/12:
    "B17: Djurgårdens IF (SWE) – Santos Laguna (MEX) 0-2 (0-1)
    Most valueable player: Herbert Robinson Garcia, #89"
    http://www.gothiacup.se/eng/2012/07/b17-two-goals-made-laguna-champions/

Given his full name, it's reasonably clear that his father is an American named Robinson & his mom is a Mexican named Garcia. A love that spanned the Rio Grande....

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USAprospects@USAprospects
    The '96 #usynt Herbert Robinson Garcia is currently in the process of obtaining a US passport to try and play with US youth teams

Testudo repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well.............Santos is one of the closest Mexican clubs to the US (geographically speaking). Tijuana, then the Monterrey clubs & Santos.

7. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't understand why Mexico hasn't tried to get this kid to play for their youth teams.

He is 16 years old and he made the bench for a decent first division club. That is absurd. I realize they have some good players, but I highly doubt that this kid wouldn't be good enough for their U-17 team.

Anyway, I hope Mexico continues to ignore him. We could certainly use him.

9. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Well you obviously don't know much about the FMF's scouting network and protocol.

If the kid feels he has a better chance to succeed with the US U17s, more power to him.

OG Junglist repped this.
  10. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    For those who don't.. What are you referring to?

Tom Collingsworth and jakepc42 repped this.
  11. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    All games including a first or second division club are scouted year round.

The Mexican youth teams play over 100 international games around the world with different rosters in order to test out some of the lesser known prospects.

It's a fact that some kids will go unnoticed or mature later on so it's nit an exact science.

The person I quoted is just naturally skeptic and he tends to believe all kids this age may be equal in talent.

It's great that Herbert is making first team appearances, even if it is just a spot on the bench but quite a few teams do this and it ultimately won't mean much if Herbert isn't ready to take advantage of his opportunities.

I would be worried for Joya, to be honest.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is 16, not 18 or 19.

There would be absolutely no reason for Santos Laguna to include him in the squad for an important first team game if he wasn't a special player.

I think you are forgetting that he is 16, not 18. There are only a few 16 year olds at decent clubs around the world getting any type of playing time.

I realize he didn't get any playing time yet, but making the bench at 16 years old for a club like Santos Laguna is incredibly impressive.

Look, if the FMF wants to ignore this incredibly impressive feat, I would be thrilled. I hope the USA doesn't have to contend with Mexico for this kid. I just am pretty surprised that he hasn't gotten much of a look with Mexico. We don't know for sure what the situation is. He has said he wants to play for the USA. Maybe he really wants to play for the USA, and told that to the FMF. Who knows? I just would be shocked if this was ignored by the FMF.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Or how good he is, or how he plays, or if he's good enough to play for our U-17s, or Mexico's...

Note that I'm saying this not because I believe he's not good enough for our youth teams or Mexico's, but because outside a handful of people who have seen Santos U-17 matches, NO ONE KNOWS. Sure its impressive that he's making the bench for the Santos first team, but we need to at least see the dude first before we start talking about him choosing between Mexico or the U.S.

Anyway, I hope he does well.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I just find it hard to believe that there is a 16 year old at a club like Santos Laguna that could make the bench for a first team game, but not be good enough for a national teams' U-17 team. I could be wrong though.

15. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is that good, been scouted by 1st team coach for awhile. Captain's U17. Could be a few issues with citizenship, hopefully have more details in late April

16. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Well you better start for believing.

There are three kids at Pachuca that are regular first teamers that haven't been on the youth national teams.

Candido Ramirez at Santos was voted best young player at last year's Toulon Tournament and he wasn't included in Mexico's U20 squad for WC Qualifiers.

There is Amaury Escoto at Queretaro, a first team player that, again, has not been with the U20s.

It's great the Herbert is getting looks from the first team but it doesn't mean he's better than the kids on Mexico's U17 squad currently playing in Panama.

I've never seen the kid play so I can't really comment on his abilities.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Neither of us has seen this kid play, so who really knows? However, I would assume that he is good enough for Mexico's U-17's considering the Mexican U-17 team currently fields three Santos Laguna players, none of which have gotten looks with the first team. It seems like Santos holds Herbert Robinson is higher regard than these three playing with the current Mexico U-17's, which would likely mean that he is the best player of the three.

chalaron repped this.
  18. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    That's a hell of a story threaded together mostly by your assumptions.

Like I said before, I haven't seen Herbert play but I've seen Ulises Rivas play. He's the captain of the Mexican U17 team, was also the captain of the U15 NT and plays the same position as Herbert.

Matter of fact, Ulises has already debuted with the first team and is considered one of Santos' top prospects.

For all we know Herbert will turn out to be a better player five or ten years down the road but as of right now, there is no indication that Herbert has done enough to warrant being on the Mexican U17 squad.

OG Junglist repped this.
  19. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what sense? That he could be falling down the Santos youth prospect ladder or something else?

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I was just trying to point out the logic behind the comment I quoted.

If the fact that Herbert has been on the bench for Santos lately and not Benji, it would be worrisome.

Most of the sources I've seen have Benji as an official member of the Santos first team.

Something Herbert and Rivas are not.

21. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on the bench for Santos' game against Cruz Azul which just kicked off.

USvsIRELAND and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1). Its a real shame we didn't qualify for the U-17 WC because it wouldn't be shocking if this guy ended up on Mexico's U-17 WC team.

I know that he hasn't been part of their player pool yet, but eventually you just can't ignore a 17 year old that is a fringe member of Santos Laguna's first team. That is incredibly impressive, especially considering he is a '96. I would guess that only a few of Mexico's '96's are even fringe members of their first team.

If Mexico completely ignores this kid, I definitely won't complain, but I bet they eventually call this kid in.

2). Why is this kid not in consideration for our U-20 team, but everyone is drooling over that kid at Monterrey that got a few minutes?

I am not an advocate for either being on our U-20 WC team, but what is the big difference between the two? The kid at Monterrey got 27 minutes and a game or two as an unused sub while this kid has been an unused sub a few times.

If we are considering any first team player at their club as a potential option, why not this kid? Age should not matter, talent should. Especially considering there is no U-17 team for him to play for.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid may have some issues getting a US passport so it's important to cool the hype because of what I've heard (unconfirmed)

He was born in Mexico and his father is American but was born in Mexico. It was his grandfather who born in the USA.

His dad is now living in the USA but Hector is trying to show his dad met the residency requirement to pass on citizenship. It's unclear at the moment. But as of now, he can't play for the USA although he wants to

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is there is a way to get this done, even if papa doesn't meet residency requirements. If grandpapa does & they can prove it, he can apply for "expeditious naturalization" based on that fact. Or, dad can apply for a Green Card and have him come live with him in the US this summer. Every has to be done by his 18th birthday though, or that ship has sailed. But the USCIS advises any 17 year old who wants this done to hurry.

25. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The father can register the birth with the US embassy until he is 18.