Herbalife Replacement Sponsor

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Eyenigma, Apr 12, 2014.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a conundrum that would create - as there is no way that you can frequent the shirt sponser AND fit in the shirt comfortably....

mbar, Skevin, Ghosting and 2 others repped this.
  2. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you imagine how many hamburgers an In-N-Out stand or truck would sell at a game? I mean....that would be a SERIOUS upgrade to the game day experience.

3. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. The day the Galaxy drops Herbalife from the shirt will be a happy day for me as a fan, and depending on who the next sponsor might be, maybe I'll buy a jersey again. #AnyonebutHerbalife

phoenixhazard repped this.
  5. SopasesosHumanos

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 21, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It seems the implication would be "well, they've settled their issues with the FTC. Expect to receive their next payment as scheduled."

From the linked article, the words used by the FTC chair were (for whatever reason) careful to not conclude that Herbalife was operating as a pyramid scheme but instead acted "unfairly."

The Cadaver repped this.
  6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Nope. Herbalife earned $339 million on sales of $4.4 billion in 2015. $200 million might hurt their 2016 margins, but I’d bet they’ll figure out a way to write off the settlement and substantial reduce their tax burden mitigating and dramatic drop in profit. Wall Street certainly sees this as a good thing Herbalife stock is up over 10% this morning. The lawsuit has been going for two years, revenue has increased year-over-year so it’s not scaring off potential salespeople and I suspect the edict that they must “fundamentally change the way they do business” will be about as effective as the ones imposed on banks after 2008.

The Cadaver repped this.
  7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time this thread is bumped I get excited.

hav77 repped this.
  8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herbalife is paying $4+ million per year. Who else would pay that?

Sincerely,
    Capt. Buzzkill

The Cadaver repped this.
  9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Probably any number of companies. Chevrolet is paying $150mm for Manchester United. Samsung was paying over $16mm for Chelsea (since expired). Note, I am not saying that the Galaxy are even in the same ball park, in terms of exposure but the money isn't the close either. FWIW, Stub Hub is reportedly paying around $10mm for the naming rights to the Stub Hub Center.

phoenixhazard and Beakmon FC repped this.
  10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    True, but no company who could stepped forward with a better offer back in 2012. Seattle’s Xbox deal is closest of the published MLS kit sponsorship deals at $4 million for 5 years. I could see Etihad “paying” more, but I don’t see anyone else on the list likely to crack $4m.

At the time I was skeptical committing to a 10 year deal as I thought there was potential for the league to grow at a rate making $4.4m seem undervalued, but almost halfway through the deal, it seems to have been pretty well negotiated.

11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Yep. This news is not bad for Herbalife. It is really bad for Pershing Square and Bill Ackman though. Fortune estimated he lost $500 million on his short position on the stock. He would have been better off outbidding Herbalife for Galaxy jersey sponsor.

12. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playstation... ;)

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a defender of Herbalife and am in the camp that my next jersey will come when that company is no longer affiliated with LAG.

Having said that, your first sentence is just inaccurate. That's not what happened at all. AND, if it were true that the government was sure it was a pyramid scheme, the govt. settled SOOO cheaply that somebody should be impeached.
    No question this was a huge win for Herbalife.

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    [QUOTE="The Cadaver, post: 34335159, member: 11548]No question this was a huge win for Herbalife.[/QUOTE]

I agree. IIRC from the Times article, the settlement allowed Herbalife to continue to mislead and rip-off people in foreign countries where they get 80% of their revenue. The company does have to clean-up its act in the US.

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While they probably provide better value for their customers than Herbalife, I am not sure that either is a winner for jersey sales. Now if Tesla, or SpaceX decided to sponsor the Galaxy, that would be a winner

rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  17. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 Fiosfan, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn it, not again.

(Also thought about making a joke about getting excited and the shirt sponsor of that amateur team but decided against it)

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Galaxy. Universal. Solar [City] … do it.

hav77, rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, go ahead.

21. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh...still herbalife...

22. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to get your hopes up. I would love to read this joke of yours but I can accept your decision not to post it.