Help with LOTG changes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by camconcay, Jun 1, 2017.

1. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading cautions for unsporting behavior section - additional text:

I believe they are adding tactical fouls to the downgrade list (so no card from a YC) if (as with DOGSO going YC from RC) a legitimate attempt to play the ball was made? I wish if that's the case they would have left out the "or handles the ball" from this section as that can never be a legitimate attempt to play the ball.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    You quoted the explanation, not the language of Law 12. There are still two separate cautionable offenses in Law 12 for tactical offenses:
    So the "except" only applies to fouls where there was an attempt to play the ball, not handling offenses. (The explanation isn't inaccurate, but in compressing and drawing the comparison to DOGSO-Y, it isn't as clear as it should be.)

camconcay repped this.
  3. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    You sure?
    All I can find in the 16/17 LotG is the same as @camconcay quoted.

And by the wording in the change document it seems that will still be the case in the 17/18 LotG too.

While I agree that perhaps it wasn't perfectly worded and I think that changes might be coming I think that it might be intentional as the handling, for a goalkeeper, is a legal attempt to play the ball.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Uh, I quoted the Law 12 language for 17/18....

5. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea realise that, was a bit thrown by the fact that you said that he didn't quote the laws, which he did, and that "There are still two separate..." when in the 16/17 laws it isn't separated as two different bullet points.

Somewhat interesting that it is written as one combined point in the 16/17 laws, as one combined in the document detailing the changes but then in the 17/18 laws it is separated into two points but that fact isn't mentioned as a change. Of course it isn't a change in law, just in writing but still.

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    What I said was 100% accurate: he didn't quote Law 12, he quoted the explanation of the change. (While often more informative than the text, in this case the text makes the issue clear while the explanation does not.)

But, yes, mty "still" could be confusing as they were blended for a single year -- I had frankly forgotten they blended them as it was not a substantive change and this year isn't flagged as separating them, either.

7. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the clarification - I am far too easily confused anyway so that's why I asked for the help here - glad to see it was kind of confusing to others - again thanks!

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    While they have improved, I still think IFAB could use a good editor to read and play back to see if what they actually said is what they actually meant .. . .

9. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd take even a mediocre editor... continues to amaze me that an organization with the financial resources of FIFA can't hire someone competent to ensure laws are clear concise and unambiguous.

10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Dealing with dozens of languages is part of the problem. It's hard to translate nuance, and in a sport where one word (deliberate, for example) can be such a big deal, it's hard to simply blame editing.

11. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I could buy this explanation if not for the fact that the official version is written in English.

espola repped this.
  12. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, all they have to do is release copies into the wild and listen. While we (the great unwashed) might get some of it wrong, when we all have the same question or confusion it's a good bet most everyone reading it will - like the goal keeper sub for injury on KFTPM which they did clean up but officially it took a year to do so. At least they can explain what they mean when we are confused and it will not take a year of wondering what to do.

Many sets of eyes are better than a few, especially when the eyes on it are the intended audience. When you are close to what you are working on you tend to miss the flaws as you know what you meant when writing it so it makes sense to you. Show it to a few people outside your circle and see if they get what you meant.

13. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    By many people who speak English as a second language. :)

threeputzzz and La Rikardo repped this.
  14. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    They have greatly improved in just the last few years, my guess is that there have been a bit of changing of the guard so to speak and it seems to be paying off. Hopefully it keeps up.

Considering that at least half of those on the IFAB are British it really shouldn't be an issue.

15. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    <geography-nitpick>

The Irish Football Association says "hi!"

</geography-nitpick>

Kit repped this.
  16. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More help?
    In the DOSGO section

What do you do to a sent off player that commits a sending off offense? Other than write it up I don't imagine you show them another red card so they can't be sent off although this "clarification" now makes it within the LOTG to send off a sent off player.

The clarification should have been that they can commit DOSGO and by definition I guess never DOGSO yellow as they can never make a legitimate play on the ball as a sent off player, but clarify it is OK to award a PK if in the area, DFK outside.

Or I am confused again - or still...

17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    That would be an instant winner in the rarest call thread. First one to do it wins a prize. But note only if they enter without permission. If you give the sent off player permission to enter...

Gary V repped this.
  18. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Northern Ireland might not be a part of Great Britain but they certainly are British by any definition.

If you're going to nitpick then you really should be right. :p:whistling::p

19. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Then you deserve a different kind of prize...

20. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Now, your just itching for a fight. Which is complete thread drift and off-topic for this forum. Which I know I started.

Great Britain is an island. Separate from Ireland, another island. There's a reason that the political name is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND NORTHERN IRELAND" (emphasis mine). Prior to 1922, it was "The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND IRELAND" (emphasis mine). "The United Kingdom of Great Britain" came into existence with the Acts of Union, which combined the Kingdom of England (which already contained Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland. The two kingdoms shared a king since the ascension of James I in the early 17th century.

All of which supports that British, e.g. "from Great Britain", is different from Irish, e.g. "from Ireland". If you call an Irishman "British", you'll get a response that might include a sore nose.

But back to the main point from @camconcay , @socal lurker, et al, at least 4 of the 8 votes on IFAB are, by definition, native English speakers. That, of course, doesn't make them competent writers or editors.

21. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    No need for the history lesson, I'm well aware. Your mistake though is treating the island Ireland as a whole. The term "British" isn't strictly about nationality but more a cultural one and thus you have to differ between NI and ROI. As I said most all definitions of "British" do include NI.

22. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Careful boys. Don't make us pull out the Get Along TShirt!

IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.