help tryouts tomorow!!

Discussion in 'Player' started by borsato, Apr 11, 2005.

1. borsato

borsato New Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Toronto
    ok, just got asked to try out for the Ontario Soccer League (OSL provincial leauge) open age mens div.

i dont know anything about he league, but judging from smoe of the dudes i saw at the practice, its pretty serious.

im not that great a player, but a good defenseman w/ size, so i think the coach who needs some full backs gave me the nod to come down. mabey even jsut be a bench player and get to practice w/ the team. which would still be cool.

anyone know about this league if its as serious as it seems?

any tips for looking good at the tryouts, as im really lacking in ball handling and beating the man compared to really good players????

2. European16

European16 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Koln
    how old are you? just curious

dont be nervouse or you will just completly mess up

3. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'll be playing in the equivalent of that league this summer for women; the OWSL (Ontario Women's Soccer League). And yes, it's as serious as it seems.

Just try to go out there with confidence, don't shy away from tackles, smart passes, strong in the air. From reading a soccer coaching board, a few things they mentioned they look for were (Just general comments for everyone (G), specifically for defenders (D)):

Ball touch (G)
    Quickness (G)
    Vision (G)
    Willingness to do "dirty work" (D)
    Good tackling skills (D)
    Staying in good position (D)
    Not diving in (D)
    Thanking the coach after tryouts- ie, a handshake, etc. (G) :)
    You need to stand out early in the tryouts, don't be afraid to take risks (G)
    Get into positions where you can demonstrate your best skills - if you have a phenomenal shot, get into a position where you can show it., etc. (G)
    Convince the coach that you are UNIQUE (G)
    Leadership skills - communication, verbally and non verbally... an ability to make your teammates better with your play on and off the ball (G)
    Be respectful (Respectful says coachable) (G)

Anyways, more here... http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/andagain/vpost?id=352283. That was for a U15 girl by the way :p, but I think it can be applied at any age.

4. borsato

borsato New Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Toronto
    its the open age mens division,
    im 29, and by some of the dudes i know who are trying out, im on the older end of average for sure. but im also probally the biggest dude trying out while still being in shape so mabey merit will get me through!! ha!!

uh yeah the thing is im failry poor w/ the ball and beating a man one vs. one, i know when they break up into groups doing 3vs3 and stuff its my weak spot, im generally better in an actual game stopping dudes and doing the free kicks, but not much else.

i just feel a bit awkward because i wastn there for the first tryout, i only got asked because i ran into dudes i knew who were trying out at hte park, and the coach started talking to us, and he basically said i could come out today and try out. not sure if things are that fluid typically in the leauge, but the other dudes may feel like i weaseled in on their tryout or something. but ********, ill still give er!!!!

5. romanista31

romanista31 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    first off all i would like to wish u good luck in ur practice. having been and am still a professionl for the past 8years i would like to say the most important thing for a defender is keep your eye on the ball and be confident. i have been playing in serie a for quite a while but my wife illary blasi does not want me 2 anymore especailly becasue our baby is due in october. Never get a hard-on while in play because maybe sum1 gay, will rape you i the change room. Well i have to go, my flight to Reggina leaves in an hour, always remember the three K's
    Keep your eyes open
    Keep your legs open(for the ladies)
    Keep your eyes open
    And last but not least Keep your eyes open!

Have Fun man, PITZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!

6. borsato

borsato New Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Toronto
    ok so i went yesterday, and did well enough to get asked to come back for the final practice/try out on friday.

i think i barely scraped through, i was in the middle of the pack shape wise, we ran our assess off the first hour. then played some 2 touch full feild. that was tough because it really highlights the poor ball control guys like me who typically just crunch incoming forwards but not much else by way of moving the ball around.

i was really nervous and made some dumb mistakes, but finished w/ a run down the flank and a cross for a forward that got us a goal. so some claps at the end.

i think i was a few inches from being cut but i was hard on the forwards and they may figure i can at least work them over in practice.

i probally will be a bench man if i even make it but at least we get outfitted w/ free addidas gear and a few pairs of boots, and some other sponsor goodies.

for me having played pickup my whole life, never really played organized soccer, just the chance to practice w/ guys of this skill level is amazing.

J