News: Help me choose an epl team for next season!

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by jasper1996, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jasper1996

jasper1996 New Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Tooradin
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hey, ive liked soccer for awhile now but have never fell in love with one team. i supported chelsea last year but it just didnt click and want to find a team for next seasons premier league. can every1 please help me choose. I Like Birmingham City, Everton, Notts Forest, Man City, Fulham, Sunderland, Liverpool(not sure who i like out of them or everton) and Stoke :cool: any help would be much apprecated ;)

2. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my experience, you really can't just pick a team haphazard and then end up loving them. If you don't have a reason to like them other than "I like them because... the uniform?" or something relatively similar, there's no point.

For example, I supported Liverpool for awhile because I loved red, and because they were good. But I never really 'loved' them. It didn't, as you say, click.

The other thing you're not taking into account is that teams don't always have to do good for you to love them. My GF goes to Hull University, so I began to support Hull City the year they made it to the Premiership. Yes, they are sub-par for a team in the top level (and that's being kind), but I've visited the city, and I love it. I plan to attend a game later this year. I can't wait to support my team, even if they probably won't get a great result.

You have to find a team you really really LOVE, not just one you select because you wanted a team to support. I actually think you might just hold off on supporting a team for awhile, and just watch. It might come to you over time.

3. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Just support 5 or 6 different Premiership teams. It what foreigners do.

:)

4. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC

Which ones though?

5. EnglishHeart

EnglishHeart New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Support MAN UTD is the best :p :D

6. Eran Dayan

Eran Dayan New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Israel
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think by choosing your team, you should look on the way the team plays the game... rather than their uniform's color.
    The way i see it, most of the teams in the EPL play the old school British soccer, the only different on is Arsenal. The Gunners play on the ground with short and fast passing while the other teams mostly play with long balls.
    I advice you to see the top clubs playing before you decide which team to support.

http://tinyurl.com/ycztyy8

7. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Really? You loved Hull? :confused:

Crikey, I went to see Oasis there about 5 years ago and a more depressing, turgid, horribe place I could not imagine visiting again. It got voted the worst place to live in the country at one not too long ago as well.

Each to their own, I guess. :)

8. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to an outsider (AKA me) who's not been east of Indiana before I hopped on the plane to Heathrow, everything over here is... really a bit... urban? I don't know how else to say it. Just smoggy in some places. Hull is no different. I've heard from a lot of people that Hull's not a good place to live (my second cousin lives in Brighton, and said so) but I don't really get it. I mean, it's just as urban as the next place. The only difference I've been able to see is that the accent is thicker. I've enjoyed the city so far. Going back this weekend.

As for worst place to live in the country- I'm not sure how you can really manage to vote that. I mean, the unemployment rate is bad, yeah, but the crime rate isn't as high as in some places. I think it's more that Hull has a reputation for things like this, and that's the perception people get of it. I'm going in with a blank view every time- maybe that's why I see it the way I do.

In any case, I could have gone to Manchester to see the WONDERFUL game that we had there, but I didn't have the money, and I figured wearing my Hull Jersey/scarf/hat there would have gotten me lynched. :p So I decided to go to Hull instead. And BTW, you're welcome for beating City.

9. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just went there and wasn't particularly impressed with it. We went out afterwards and it still seemed drab and a little down beat. I've been to many lpaces to watch football and gigs, but none of them seemed so down on themseles as Hull did. That's just my personal perception of it, though.

I like it. I was amazed that you did beat City. I don't think anyone saw that coming!!!! :)

10. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly didn't. :) But I'll take it. And I understand your analysis, and respect it.

11. hindy88

hindy88 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm a Chelsa fan so stick with us! But outa the ones you mentioned i'd say Stoke. Not a brilliant team so you still get a good buzz when they win and have the ability to turn over one of the top 4. Plus have something pretty unique with Delap's throw-ins!

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As u seem to like the color blue ... I say... go for Portsmouth!

:D

13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That can be his Championship side next season. If they still exist that is:eek:

If i were you i'd support one of the promoted teams as it will be more exciting if they stay up and if they get relagated you will at least be able to watch a lot of high scoring games.

14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Foreigners don't want to support a team in the Championship as they can't watch matches easily and they don't know half the clubs they are playing against.

As for the lad on the previous page liking Hull, if you like the pile of shit (I'm fairly sure it was voted worst town in England not long ago) then you would probably think anywhere south of it was heaven.

15. argentumLingua

Jun 17, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a foreigner as well and I'll tell you that I support Chelsea, Everton and Leeds. I'll explain why:

1. Chelsea - Because I find that they truly play as a team and don't rely on one or two strikers.
    2. Everton - Because Landon Donovan's over there and I feel that an American being successful in the EPL will make the MLS more interesting to fans in general.
    3. Leeds - Because they used to be a top team and fell on their asses from very high up. Nothing about them is inspirational, I just want them to work hard and get right back into the Premiership.

Of course, I also have the Montreal Impact to support. I only support them because I'm from Montreal myself. :)

16. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Not trolling here, and I know many Brits seem to share my attitude on this, but I just don't get how you can support/follow more than one team from the same league. What about when Chelsea play Everton?

And I know Leeds aren't in the Premiership, but they're dead-certs to be promoted to the CCC, and I'd bet that they'll be in with a shout of being promoted to the top flight once they're there.

17. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    What about Nottingham Forest for the same reasons as Leeds? Donovan doing well over here won't change the views of the MLS over here, perhaps it will open a few American eyes but they should already know Donovan is decent. Chelsea rely on Anelka and Drogba, that is 2 strikers.

18. argentumLingua

Jun 17, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When Everton and Chelsea play, I simply enjoy the match for all that it's worth and tell myself that the best team with win. Didn't Everton beat Chelsea 2-1 two weeks ago? Great match for me.

19. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    It's a matter of what supporting/following means. If argentumLingua had claimed that he followed all of those teams with the same fervor as a Glaswegian-based Rangers fan, it would be a pretty ludicrous claim. I have supported Charlton (it is the closest team to where my mother grew up and where I spent much of my summers as a kid) for some years, but I have developed a soft spot for Tottenham over the years too. I would never mix it up with an Arsenal fan and claim that I bleed white or even claim that I match the passion of a Spurs' fan from North London. It's not even close, but at the same time I follow them to a degree. I wouldn't even claim my Charlton support could match that of someone living souf of the river. It's also much harder to truly follow a lower division team from overseas because you can only follow write-ups and a smattering of high-lights.

Having said all of that, if you asked me where my heart really lied, the answer would easily be DC United (an MLS team) because I live in DC, have generally attended over half of the games for all of their existence and with TV watch at least 75% of their games. I follow them with that home town passion, something I couldn't claim about Charlton and obviously Tottenham.

20. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pulling for Everton right now Donovan is there on loan, and Howard is their goalie. I think having Americans succeed in the EPL is a great way to improve visibility for the US players. IMHO the EPL is the best league in the world, and if you can succeed there you've arrived. Since I began following Everton they beat Chelsea and Man Utd, and a tie on the road against Arsenal. Not bad for a team that was near the bottom of the table before Christmas. Unfortunately Donovan is going back to the Galaxy on March 15. If they're smart they will buy out his contract, but I highly doubt that will happen.

I think it's lame the Americans who follow teams like Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, et. al. Hey let's pick a team that has the world's best players and wins all the time because it will make me feel better about myself. These same types of people follow teams like the Yankees and Red Sox in the US.

21. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    I appreciate that, and I'm certainly not trying to give the "I'm a better fan than you" lecture, I just don't understand how one can purport to follow/support two teams in the same league. It'd be as strange as supporting two teams that play in the NBA, or NFL, or MLB. Obviously the passion/fervor is greater when you come from (or near) the team, as you've grown up with them etc etc, and i've no problem with foreigners following football teams, I just think it dilutes the excitement somewhat when you support more than one team.

22. argentumLingua

Jun 17, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with you. In fact, as a North American following Chelsea, I find it lame of myself to follow them blindly without having any real knowledge of their history. That's why I take more of a liking to the local team and follow Everton specifically because of Donovan and Leeds because of how low they've sunk. :)

23. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    Of course it does. When you (personally) watch a tight Old Firm encounter, you probably experience a non-stop level of anxiousness to the point that you're not really concerned with the quality of play on the field as much as just winning. I don't think the Fulham-for-Dempsey and Arsenal-because-I-like-the-way-they-plan along with Liverpool-because-my-aunt-once-went-there fan can ever really experience that same rush because the attachment just isn't there.

24. Pottermaniac007

Pottermaniac007 New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't see Chelsea or Man United mentioned in your list! ;)

25. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    You definitely have eyes.