HELP: Max Bretos Needs a New Goal Call, No More "Yeaahhhhhhhhh"

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by TheQuakesRockMySocks, Aug 2, 2008.

1. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    [​IMG]
    Alright homies and homophobes (yeah, I'm looking at you Texas), it's time that I address something many of us have had longstanding concerns about:

Ugggg- it makes my bones shiver, it makes nails on a chalkboard sound like Carrie Underwood on a chalk board (don't quote me on this).

[​IMG]

We all know it's terrible.
    We all know there has to be a change, and now.

But what should it be?

Should he say -
    "goal"
    "scored it"
    "and Beckham nailed it, like I nailed your sister"
    "Dooucchhhhhhe"
    "He got that shit, fo-sho"?

What ideas do you all have?

Come on guys, I am hoping we can have this issue solved by tonight's broadcast... what do you guys think?

And by the way, Max Bretos is absolutely goofy, but you gotta love it. So, no knocking him personally, he's good people. So any unchecked aggression will not stand man. He's the dude.

But, the change must occur, and fast.

Also, Christopher Sullivan, no more pronouncing Gallardo (guyarddo) like this: "Guy-zzzJard-Oh". It sounds awful. Speak English, and keep it simple. Ok?

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
  3. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle New Member

May 17, 2006
    Kwassa Kwassa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You haven't been banned again yet? What's this world coming to?

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    go ask your mom if she needs any help with the dishes. this computer stuff is way out of your league.

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's a mod when you need one?

6. RedzFan31

RedzFan31 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    NYC
    But wait, he's right, i'm sick of that shit too. Maybe we just need better announcers in general.

7. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Thank you, I couldn't believe people weren't interested in this.

Everyone is sick of the same things, I am just saying, let's have a change.

Now, I don't have any real good solutions, so, please post your ideas people. I am sure good hearted Max will be ok with it. He seems like the nicest person on the planet, so, let's give him a hand.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the problem is that 1) Everyone knows the announcers (in general) in MLS suck. Like the league, they'll get better over time 2) How is this MLS: News and Analysis? 3) You're starting threads every 5 seconds on topics most could care less about

Other than that, thanks for the pic in the first post ;)

9. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    1) I don't think they are the best, but they could improve
    2) You are right. I happened to be in NA when I decided to post. So, apologies there, it wasn't intentional, I just didn't think about it.
    3) I have only started a couple threads, and they have all had lots of participation, and plenty of good ideas. So, I can't agree with you here.

The pic was a good move though. Wait, we are talking about the Carrie Underwood pic, right?:)

10. Negro Y Rojo

Negro Y Rojo Member

Apr 29, 2008

And yet no one ever has a real suggestion as to what THEY would do better.

Yeeeaaaah is his trademark.

just like GOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL was Andre Cantor's

think about it. did whiney big soccer posters say "you know that GOOOOOOLLLLLLL thing is old, Andre needs to do something else."

So how would you call a goal? "He shoots, he scores!" or some other lame crap?

I like the guy on Telefutura. "GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL!" or "GOLAAAAAAAAZZZOOOOOOOOOO"

But thats Spanish.

Inevitably most american english language announcers will be considered bad for being themselves (Max Bretos) and/or "posers" for mimicing some other culture's style (Sean Wheelock). They can't win with you people.

11. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Agreed. He can't just imitate the Spanish guy. I don't have a lot of solutions, but I imagine there are enough fans here that have disliked Bretos' trademark "yeahhhh", and I feel like some good solutions could be discussed here.

Personally, I don't have any real ideas. All my ideas are primarily intended for humor, but I would like to hear some real good ideas.

What do you think guys?

One idea I had would be to just say the name of the person who scored.

For example, "Shalrie Josephh!! What a header!" Does that make sense? What do you guys think of it?

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss????
    OH yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!
    [​IMG]

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I think it works fine.

You guys are in search of something to sound more authentic?

It is his trademark, he shouldn't change it because of a few posters on a message board.

The pole options should have included the original. You just assumed everyone thought the same as you, well, you are wrong.

14. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    You are right. I should have known there would be few guys that wanted everything to stay the same.

I wasn't asking for anything more authentic, I just think it sounds awful. And, I have read countless posts in other threads about the "yeaahhh" registered trademark call, and how terrible it sounds.

Overall, I am a Max Bretos fan, I just think he would be better suited with a new call. Btw, he is great when he does his "Maximum -" piece on FSC. The guy is pretty comical.

But, sorry, you are right, if you like it, good for you. Posters please be advised, if you want him to keep the "yeaaahhhh" you just let us know.

However, if you want something new, let us know what you like.

15. BlackGold

BlackGold New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't mind yeah, but i think he should add something to it. Like: Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah thats what she said!!! Or Yeaaaahhhhhh hold my drink bitch!!!!

16. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Repped!

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    The average person will tell 10 people about a bad experience they had.
    The average person will tell 3 people about a good experience they had.

I believe those are the numbers...

People are more likely to shoot off about something they dislike.

18. Firefan1989

Firefan1989 Member

Mar 29, 2008
    i havent seen him call a full game but from the highlights of the goals he calls i actually like it. I maybe in the minority in this but i think its good and he sounds like a better announcer then half of the others out here. The Fire announcers are better than the other 2 they had on there but the play by play guy doesnt have any enthusiasm when the Fire score its boring.

19. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he is enthusiastic, until you find me another domestic tv personality (aka not another Brit, Scot etc. international/ex-pat) who puts as much passion into every game he calls give it a rest.

20. RedzFan31

RedzFan31 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    NYC
    I think he calls a decent game, but i have two probs with him.
    1. Yeaaahhhh is overused and vaguely annoying (maybe if he used it less it wouldn't be so bad)
    2. He yells for absolutely no reason sometimes. Maybe he thinks something exciting is about to happen but most of the time it doesn't and sounds silly.

Anyways, I'm with Quakes, he could mix it up some. Give us a "Yeaaaaahhhh" and then " What a fabulous goal!" or something. Or maybe "In comes the cross from Beckham, AND HERE'S BUDDLE. YEEEAAAAAHHHH its a goal. What a header and now LA is up 1 to nil."

I dunno, something, but right now, he isn't cutting it in some areas....

21. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another lame poll. At least give the option of keeping his trademark. Will they ever end these polls?

Personally, I like it. I like that it's unique and contains enthusiasm. Are there others that are better? Sure, but at least it's there.

22. soccerislife7

soccerislife7 New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's such a Michael Scott:).

23. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    1st Nobody made you come to this poll.
    2nd how is "yeah" unique? The enthusiasm feels so so corny. Sure, it's his trademark, but in my opinion (sorry there's no trademarked "IMO" for you) and so many others here, the "yeah" is painful to hear.

Max Bretos is a class act. He's super nice. He's enjoyable to listen to even if he isn't Andy Gray. However, this one thing, his "trademaked" "unique" YEAHHH, is awful.

I am just asking for people to help him find a new one. Just like so many people offer up opinions on what Front Offices around the league should do. Or how everyone has an opinion on what MLS should do.

You do know you are on "BigSoccer" right?

24. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Good for you. You seem to be alone.

Now, on to what people do like most for alternatives.

With 28 votes in, so far the two leading contenders are:

1) With 6 Votes: "He shot the ball, and now the score will be recognized by the officials" (one of my best efforts I'd say).

2) With 6 Votes: "Nailed It, like I nailed your sister last night" (I'm all class baby).

Still in the hunt are:

"Vomit Sounds" (usually what follows "yeaahhh")
    "Cha Ching"
    "Golazzo Golazzo"

Remember, no bitchassness allowed, Vote or Die!

[​IMG]

Wow.

[​IMG]

25. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so corny it's awesome.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Im going to start saying that everytime I succeed at something.