Hello, I'm new to the area!

Discussion in 'Baltimore' started by ALLLGooD, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Hello CPB fans!

I'm new to the area from CA. I support the SJ Earthquakes and am part of the 1906 Ultras supporters group.

Now that I am going to be living here in MD, permanently, I want to start supporting local football. I refuse and will never support DCU.

I live in Rockville, and am aware of RMFC. I will probably hit a few of their games; I have a need for live footy. (btw, how do you folks feel about them, now that they are out of your division?) I'm considering getting season tix in Baltimore, though.

Do you have a supporters' group for CPB? If so, I'm in!

2. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    I believe there are two. I will try to find the links to their site. You could also join the Lords of Baltimore. www.mlsinbaltimore.org

I spoke with the guy that started the group. The main purpose for the group is to get a soccer stadium built for a MLS team, but if that doesnt happen they will shift their focus to supporting Palace Baltimore and their stadium efforts.
    They are planning a bus trip to the NYRB home opener, a DC United game in August and a Palace Baltimore game.

3. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks, Pat. I'll check it out. Seems more like an advocacy group, which I'm also down for, too.

I'd appreciate those other links when you get a chance. I'll do some more googling too.

4. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Edit: Found one of them. Palace Squires?

5. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other is the 35ers. http://www.myspace.com/35ers The two groups work together during matches. The numbers aren't huge, but the voices are there. Given the previously limited publicity by Palace and the general disinterest Baltimore has for "minor-league" sports it has been challenging to grow the numbers, especially as most who come to the matches are kids and families.

Real Maryland changed their playing style last season going from a relatvely leisurely latin style, they largely were catering to Hispanics in the DC area, to a more aggressive up tempo style after adding a coach from Wilmington. Interestingly Wilmington became a better team by incorporating less of the physicality in 2009. Real's field was okay, the stands and brick structure containing them feels cramped even though their attendance is pretty sparse. They tend to bring in a quality Central American team as an opponent once a year which easily outdraws any of their league matches. There are decent opponents in USL 2, which is usually fairly competitive and should be more so this year with Bermuda, who struggled away from home, gone to PDL.

6. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the NYRB game going to be the MLS opener or the Stadium opener against Santos?

7. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    Just bought my spot on the bus. Its the MLS Opener vs. the Fire. Originally it was going to be the stadium opener, but now with the friendly its not. I believe MLS is treating as the opener since it will be on ESPN and all the big wigs of MLS will be there.

The 35ers thats what I was thinking of.

The mlsinbaltimore group is planning a DC United trip and a date for a Palace game.

8. kiddx33

kiddx33 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh hem, you are the guy that started the group.

9. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    Actually, no Im not.

10. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    I'm helping with the group, but did not start the group.

11. kiddx33

kiddx33 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay you're just the guy who collects the checks and has his address on everything.

I mean capitalism is cool man. I totally dig. Handing a check from your left hand to your right isn't exactly speaking "with the guy that started the group." You're 1/2 that website.

Go ahead and sell, but don't lie to people, not cool.

12. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    They came to me asking what to do and I told the guy that started that I would back them by starting the site and handle payments for them if needed and he didnt want to go through the hassle of starting a company just to handle a few bus trips. i've told them I will show them all the money that comes in for the group with them. Plus, I dont edit the website one of the guys that is helping with the group handles the webpage and logos.

But I guess its like running a tournament saying its going to charity, but no clear charity.

13. kiddx33

kiddx33 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'LEGEND'ARY rebuttal. Again its cool if you wanna make money, but that's not what these boards are for. This the Crystal Palace Baltimore forum, not the 'how can a screwdriver these people for 20 bucks'.

Do tell? If you're talking about the charity tournament I'm running, ALL CHECKS are made out to Trinity Lutheran Church seeing as I'm actually doing volunteer work for a group that needs funding in these tough times. But see I don't bring my events, fully even charity ones, to the boards and try and sell them.

Back to the point, word is that Crystal Palace is going to attempt to have some KILLER pre-game parties. Hearing party for us 21+ folks.

14. L.O.B.

L.O.B. New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hello kiddx33

My name Kevin Addison but alot of people know me as Worm through the soccer community maybe you know me maybe you don't but I have a couple of things to say. I am the person that talked to Pat about coming and helping us out and at the time we didn't have a name for the group. The reason I went to Pat was because of our long friendship and his passion for the game of soccer. I really don't know what your deal is but what we are doing here is a great boost to help support Baltimore soccer and bring a MLS team here to Baltimore. I have done tons of hours of work designing the website, the logo's, the flyer's, the bus trip, and spreading the word around the Baltimore area about us. And I feel that you have crossed a line. I see that you are trying to do your own support for a church and that is awesome so you should know about all the legal parts and the paper work that goes along with it. Now knowing that, I TALKED to Pat about getting the payments sent to his company because I felt it could make our goal to get a bus trip to New York move faster and cut down on some calls. We have done everything straight forward and always will as long as the Lords of Baltimore is together and for you to post what you did was just plain wrong in my eyes. I don't know and don't want to know what has happen in the past but you can't go around bashing people or groups you don't know until you have to have the facts straight. We have the best youth soccer here in Baltimore and some of the best College programs but we want to try and help bring the next level. I mean you sure have looked at our stuff and we appreciate it but why don't you just help out to improve the game you love and don't put down the people that are trying to do that work.

And we do support Maryland soccer so yes Crystal Palace is in our sites but we also feel since we have the top rated youth soccer club why not try to get the best soccer in the United States and that is the MLS.

I could go on but if you have any questions or would like to talk to me email me at lob.addison@gmail.com

Thanks
    Kevin
    Lords of Baltimore

15. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Now that the pot is stirred...

I will be at my first CPB match tonight. I'll be sitting with the crowd until I hear the chanting. I'll slowly make my way to the loudest supporters.

Btw, any word on any pre-game festivities? Where do people usually meet? Bar/pub? Restaurant? Parking lot?

See you tonight!!!

16. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be only my second Palace match, but as far as I understand the club encourages tailgating in the parking lot beforehand. I plan on arriving around 6pm and having a six-pack before the game starts.

17. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I'm coming from Rockville. So I'll be a little later. Look for me in my blue-striped Arsenal jacket.

18. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in my Philadelphia Union rain jacket. See you there.