He'll be there in Portugal...

Discussion in 'England' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 26, 2002.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood but if he stays healthy... Redknapp will be the man in the middle for Euro04.

His games for Spurs vs Lazio, WestHam and Everton have been pure class. It's magical to see him healthy and cruising the pitch again. Right now I'd be happy with him playing a full healthy season...but the facts are there..if he stays healthy there really aren't a lot of English footballers that can take a game on his shoulders like Redknapp can.

I just hope Sven buys a few Spur tickets this year.

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a chance.

He was one of my favourtie players about6 years ago but now his main concern must be remaining fit for the Premiership. I believe to put Jamie Redknapp into the team now would be detrimental to England's future. Could he be a squad player? yes midfield lynchpin? Nope. He was/is a truly gifted footballer but I feel there's only room for 1 from him and Beckham.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's never delivered on that promise though has he? He's always been one of my favourite players, even if I've long left the hype behind, but when did he ever boss a midfield for Liverpool?

Given that he is now older, slower and still injury prone, how is he going to displace any of the following from the England Euro 2004 squad?

Gerrard
    Bowyer
    Cole
    Hargreaves
    Butt
    Beckham
    Scholes
    Dyer

Coz, barring injuries and acts of God, that's the midfield players we'll be taking to Euro 2004.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Uh, looks like he won't. Not this time:

England names squad for Portugal friendly

But it will be interesting to see how he continues to perform as the season plays out. I have always admired his playing style - when he's been fit. But time isn't on his side, and he faces very strong competition for a place in the squad.

Seriously though, he needs a miracle.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the original point was that Jamiekins would make the Euro 2004 squad and thus be there, in Portugal.

The upcoming game against Portugal takes place in England.