Hejduk: St. Gallen vs. Grasshoppers, 9/11 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Sep 12, 2002.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Looks like Hejduk went 90 in a 3-2 loss for St. Gallen.

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    After blowing a two goal lead!

31' Gane
    50' Guido
    61' Baturina
    62' Barijho
    69' Mitreski

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yup, we got 'em pretty bad :D

There is no shame in bending over however, GCZ is the most successful club in Swiss history (26 Championships, 18 Cuptitles)

[​IMG]

Here is what I could gather:
    Apparently Hejduk had a mixed debut. From what I read in newspapers he "fought tremedously", but failed to give the midfield a much needed spark. He also seemed to commit some hard fouls that could have been punished with a red card.

FCSG is now down to 10th (12 pts.) in the standings and is 1 pt. away from the important 8th place required to make the final round.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Frankie's position

Do you know where exactly in the midfield Frankie was playing? Was it centrally or on the flank?

5. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Sorry for budding in (being a Canuck & all), any reports on how Hejduk's Canuck teammate Daniel Imhof did?

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me you have to expect 2 or 3 games before a player can really gel with their teammates.

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Here's my very rough translation from http://www.tagblatt.ch/sport.cfm

“Had we not lost I would be content with my personal achievement", said the American.. Coach Gérard Castella said: "Frankie was responsible for some pressure." Actually: Hejduk left a quite solid impression offensively, in addition, to defensively. He can be quite effective on the left wing for reinforcement., the 28-year old must still get accustomed to the rules, which the referees in Switzerland use. In the 17. Minute he took the first caution, after a rough foul at Andres Gerber. Hejduk too often entered too hard into the duels, often taking it to the limit. One cannot accuse the new player concerning his motivation. Still in the 69th minute: Frankie Hejduk made an error, when he played the ball onto the opponent’s feet . The consequence was the 3:2-Victory for Grass Hopper. "Against such a team one can simply have no errors ", summarized Castella.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In other words, Frankie played just like, well, Frankie. Except they failed to mention he ran a lot as well.

9. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was thinking the same thing. He has gotten where he is now by playing that style. It works well for him.

10. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2001
    New England
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twenty years from now we'll be sitting in bar,
    "Remember Frankie Hejduk?"
    "Yeah......boy could that guy run."

11. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    "Yeah, and remember when he kicked air against Italy?"

12. bata

bata Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Nashvegas
    As sad as it is, I think Hejduk should forever be remembered as the sole U.S. player to show any sort of spark during the 1998 World Cup. A small shimmer of hope in an otherwise horifficly depressing campaign.

13. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his effort in Korea should supersede that memory of France. If it wasn't for Frankie, we would've lose 6-1 to Poland and he did well in the matches as well.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, all things considered, Frankie will be well remembered by US soccer fans. He gave our team some fight and a decent amount of skill when we really didn't have much of either.
    I hope St. Gallen works out for him. Sounds like he played well enough to stay a starter. Great to see him playing again. Hopefully, he'll get to know Swiss football better and mesh with his teamates, and really make an impact.
    Here's to you, Frankie.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope

Pope played quite well

16. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    What an ugly uniform. Could they fit any more advertising on it?

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    So true. Poor Frankie looks like a Formula 1 racing car in that shirt.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    kinda fitting. Fast, hard to control, tends to slip in the corners and crashes hard - but will run forever.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, he blew a chance to score the equalizer just seconds before the final whistle.

Sorry, you asked ;)
    Excellent translation. I didn't even see that article.

Let me elaborate on the referees. The article says that Swiss referees are less lenient on hard fouls than elsewhere.

Also, Frankie got more help in midfield now, as FCSG also signed Leo Lerinc from Red Star Belgrade
    FCSG is going through some hard financial times (until the new stadium is built), so they need all the money they can get.

20. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Do all the uniforms of Swiss clubs have that much advertising?

21. swissman

swissman Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Boston
  22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, not all - but the trend is upwards. Grasshoppers for example only have 1 sponsor.

The smaller European leagues started to have a lot more sponsors on their jerseys lately. This is because they don't get the benefit of huge TV contracts like the big four. So yeah, sponsorship has been rising in the NLA the last few years. It is still not as bad as in Austria however, those teams put sponsors on their ass and socks. Even bigger leagues like France have more than 1 sponsor on their jersey now. The reason some of you haven't seen that, is because in Uefa competition only the main sponsor is allowed. FCSG's jersey would look different in the Uefa Cup for example.

23. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    You need to get the url of the image itself (right click on it and select properties), which in this case is:

http://www.lhc.ch/images/photos/galerie/bashkirov5.jpg

then you enclose that url in image tags like this:

[tag]http://www.lhc.ch/images/photos/galerie/bashkirov5.jpg[/tag]

except that you would use the letter "img" instead of "tag."

The result is this:

[​IMG]

I'm surprised they can still squeeze jersey numbers on there.